Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
I know that I use it a lot here in Cali and it saves me a lot of time plus every bike that splits is one more car length that cars get ahead.
It really hones your slow speed bike handling skills as well!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that I use it a lot here in Cali and it saves me a lot of time plus every bike that splits is one more car length that cars get ahead.
It really hones your slow speed bike handling skills as well!

Yup, and that's what I tell cagers when they gripe about bikes splitting lanes. We reduce traffic for everyone.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
It's not legal where I live, but I always thought I'd be to scared to try it. I've thought maybe on a sport bike but on my X, she seems to wide with the bags and aftermarket bars.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Even if Legal, I doubt that I would do it. I have ridden many times in CA and don't do it. Those in favour have stated that if you choose to occupy the space between cars when there's little or no possibility of being cut off, it's a better alternative than exposing yourself to cars approaching from behind.
However, I have seen MANY accidents in CA where the Bike goes into a blind spot by being there and one side or the other moves over and hits the Bike.
Even though it is not legal in NY (or any other state), I have seen people do it and I have seen them get hit. This maybe partially due to the fact that people elsewhere don't expect it but those in Cages are not checking their blindspots well enough. You still have to move your head and not just your eyes....
I do understand the advantages by the way of doing this from a bikers perspective especially in the hotter states, in summer on an air cooled bike but still with that in mind, I am not one to risk my neck in a cage ratio on the highway of "all of them" to 1 (ie me).
Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I feel safer splitting lanes in rush hour traffic. When I don't do it I need to watch in 4 directions, front, back, left, right. When I do, I only need to look in front of me because I know the stopped traffic to my left and right can't move and nobody can hit me from behind. So, I watch for people changing lanes in front of me only. When there is a big gap in one of the lanes in front of me (opening up a window for a lane changer), I immediately occupy that lane until I come up to the next car that is stopped (or slowly moving).

Every time I ride like a car in rush hour traffic, undoubtedly a cager assumes there is no one in the lane and tries to occupy the space I'm in.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I do lane splitting at times, like long red lights with long lines. I will also do it on the freeway when ther is a slow down. I have had one guy in a BIG pickup truck (little guy with a small penis) that tried to block me. To his rudeness he stopped me with my Sideburners pointing at his door. Reving the bike made him think twice and and let me by.... or maybe it was his wife/gf beating him, who knows.

It is my understanding that CA is one of the few states that allows lane splitting. But, CA allows it only when there is a blockage or slow down on the road or at stop signs or traffic lights. If traffic is flowing at speed then it should not be done and the rider can be ticketed for reckless driving.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do lane splitting at times, like long red lights with long lines. I will also do it on the freeway when ther is a slow down. I have had one guy in a BIG pickup truck (little guy with a small penis) that tried to block me. To his rudeness he stopped me with my Sideburners pointing at his door. Reving the bike made him think twice and and let me by.... or maybe it was his wife/gf beating him, who knows.

It is my understanding that CA is one of the few states that allows lane splitting. But, CA allows it only when there is a blockage or slow down on the road or at stop signs or traffic lights. If traffic is flowing at speed then it should not be done and the rider can be ticketed for reckless driving.
Yup, yup. Splitting lanes is not illegal but reckless driving is.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
What pisses me off in CA is the wanbee dead riders that split between two semi's.....
Don't you get extra points for that?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I hope you or anyone else is not that stupid!
+1
And as a side note, most trailers are 53' and with most over the road trucks there's about another 15'+ of truck in front of that. Then there's the very large blind spot when in a curve so the term "tread lightly" won't apply if you get sucked into the trailer axles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts