Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading on my first epic ride on the VTX.. Leaving Las Cruces going through El Paso to Carlsbad.. Taking the GF with me for her Bday... Going to see the caverns,, Home route will be through the Lincoln National Forest, Alamo and back to Cruces. 400+ miles Just worried about getting enough gas to make the trip with out stressing about fill ups... Any recommendations on places to eat or fuel stops along the way would be great.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Most of us are getting 140-160 miles out of a tank without reserve. Googlemap or whatever mapping site you prefer and set way points for stops.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is no more than 100miles between towns, and I have been getting 180 with the GF on the back.... so no real big deal... But,,,,,, I like to take roads leading to NOWHERE! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
If your really concerned about running out of fuel in the desert, get a MSR fuel canister. They are in the camping section at most outdoor stores. Lots of folks use them for extra gas.

Sent from somewhere in the deep East Texas Piney Woods using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as long as I do not get caught in a monsoon rain it should be a great trip.. Cloudcroft is going to be 50 at night and 75 during the day.. Saturday should be a nice day for riding in the Lincoln forest.

·
Devil Doc
212 Posts
Alamogordo good for gas. Cloudcroft also then you have Artesia. We usually take the El Paso Ride through the Guadalupe Pass into Carlsbad. Love riding thru there. You need to top off in El Paso right outside of town. 151 miles to Carlsbad from El Paso. Never have hit reserve or have had any issues with gas.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I figure I will fuel up on [182]Montana? Past all of the junkyards... and I think you can get fuel before the border patrol station also.. I remember there being a restaurant out there somewhere..
]

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't been down that way in several years, but there used to be a little spot-on-the-road called Cornudas. If the restaurant is still open, they make a killer green chile cheeseburger! There were gas pumps, too, but you'd have to pay emergency prices!
From what I can remember, any day is a good day to ride in the Lincoln National Forest!
Enjoy the ride and be safe,
Gary

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YUP! ! ! ! I am looking forward to riding through the Lincoln on the bike.. It should be in the 60's according to the weather.... I am up way too early and ready to start.... Just waiting on the Birthday girl to get up and ready... Bags are packed, bike is semi-clean, tires have 40psi, enough gas to get to El Paso, just need to check the oil, drain the water out of the motor-home, turn off non essentials, give spare key to my buddy... Out of here by 8am.. If nothing fouls up..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just got back safe and sound.. the bike did well except for odd gas mileage (pulling up mountains at 80+ could be the issue) a little issue of hard starting after riding hard for a few hours and restarting after a few minutes... not every time but once is scary when one is 200 miles from home..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts