Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Last ride......

4K views 77 replies 45 participants last post by  BuYA 
#1 ·
Well today is a sad day here....Started off by doing some work on the VW, then taking it to town do get a few things from walmart and make a beer run....Then brought the Bug home and pulled the X out to make that run to the gas station and top it off withgas and Stabil...Then road it back home and parked it in it's hibernation spot in the garage...Pipes still hot, so tomorrow I'll hook up the battery tender and throw the cover on it until springtime once again :(...I REALLY hate winter....:mad:

#3 ·
Sorry to hear that.. it is a sad time! Gotta be tough seeing it sit there in hibernation. Winter does suck but at least in Alabama there are still days to ride. Still will be glad to see spring! I'm envious of the guys in Florida that can ride year round comfortably!

#5 ·
Just got in from Bowling Green. Not bad at all. I plan to ride every chance I get...but I live 450 miles south of Bass.

Then again....there's always trailering on down to Florida....;)

#6 ·
Been trying to talk Jen into packing up and moving to southern Kentucky...But both our mom's live just north of us in Niles Michigan, and she doesn't want to move that far away from her mom...Oh well...Won't be long and I'll be able to fire up the other 2 wheeler in the garage known as the snow thrower...:mad: :banghead:

#9 ·
My wife is from Muncie and my oldest son is a prosecutor in Indy. (just in case you get popped for murder or anything) and we go up there a lot. Takes about 5 hours by car. I would think it's another 2 to your house. Still not too bad.

If you're thinking about southern Kentucky you might consider just a little farther south to Tennessee. When we moved here 10 years ago we looked around Bowling Green and loved it but settled on Nashville because of the vast difference in the tax structure.

#8 ·
Bill,
Is it snowing there?
If not, You can still ride.
I'm going to ride tomorrow after picking my son up from a campout.
Gonna freeze a bit I'm still gonna ride.
Gotta do it.
Just gotta do it.
If I don't, I'll probably find a clock tower and climb it loaded for bear.
That's why I ride year round. I would rather freeze a little than sit in a jail cell.
Range shooting and hunting get's the agressiveness out.
Riding is the Zen part of winter therapy.

#12 · (Edited)
Did the same thing to my Black bike today. Very depressing, only positive thing is that this is the last winter either of mine sit on a lift in storage for 4-5 months. North Carolina here I come!!!

No it isn't snowing today but we already had a good taste a couple of nights ago. Cold and rainy the next week. Forcast is for an above average snowfall and below average temp. winter.

#17 ·
your other bike must have more christmas balls...

it took an hour and a half ride in 27 degree temps (according to the temp guage, it was below 20 degrees) this morning to get beth to work when she got a flat and didnt have time for me to change the tire...so she wasnt late.

as long as there is no snow or ice on the roads, i say ride...

#18 ·
Bass, I know I live further south of you and I do exactly what you do. I fill the tank as full as I can get it and add Seafoam. I also have it hooked up to the battery tender. The difference is I don't throw the cover on. There will be warm days in Nov and Dec when I will go out for an hour or two as long as its not raining or ice on the roads. Maybe you'll have a few of those too. Just saying, Hamph

#24 · (Edited)
HELLO! I am the only one riding at work now....That low temp put the HD's and the other VTX in the garage. The oil spots are very viseable now....When I headed home Thursday night it was 38 degrees and you would think it was a dead blizzard here with all the younger boy's and girl's all covered up with winter coats...what are they going to do when it gets cold! :eek: Maybe the black bike keeps me a little warmer???? If I rode the BLUE one the I would be going to slow and let that cold air catch-up (ketchup for you Northern guys)......28 here this morning......colder her than up there.....

#26 ·
Yea, i guess my white one does have more "christmas" balls. I figured it was one of the last nice days we are gonna have for a while up here so I might as well get it done.

Plus I have 2 different motors to black out, a fairing to fab and help mount w/stereo and all that good stuff, and a set of hardbags to help mount as well. Plus a couple of projects for my own bike.

So while my riding season has come to a close my busy season of helping out some friends has just started.

#27 ·
Well mine went on the stand today, rain, wind, hail and 40 degrees. Took off the saddlebags and started fitting the replacements. Designed my brackets and cut a slot in the bags for shock clearance, I want to get them as forward as I can and tight to the fender as possible. Sunday I will start glassing we will see were it go's from there.

#33 ·
I'm in Arkansas and it takes a little longer for winter to set in here. I love to ride, but around 40-45 ambient is all I can handle. My bones feel the follies of my youth and cold weather tears my hip, knee, and shoulder up. Won't be long till I stable Geezer for the winter also. The upside is that I can begin adding new exhaust, hardbags, ect...

#35 ·
I'll still take the occasional ride this season. Except when the major mods and maintenance begin. Never been as serious about moving south as I have been this year. If I could create a customer base elsewhere, and I was certain I wouldn't loose my tail by selling my house...Florida would be the direction I went. (Maui, if I was a rich man.) ;)

#41 ·
house right next door to us is still for sale i think...less than 40,000 last i heard too...:D
then we can have the retired guys run!!!!:mosh:
Say when!! I'm in. :cool:
a re-tarred guys run?

"the annual eppyfishes re-tarred bikers run"

does have a certain "ring" to it...:hmm2:

#36 ·
I love the snow, but then on the gulf coast of Texas that is easy cause I don't have to live with it. LOL. I bought my 06 new n 08 and do not even own a batter tender. I ride enough every week of the year that so far I have not needed one. I will ride extra this week for you guys that have had to put your bikes up.

#40 ·
I hear ya man. I just took mine out for a good 45 min yesterday to get one final day out of the bike. So do you just put stabil in the gas tank, cover it, and that is it? This will be my first season of having to winterize the VTX.

#45 ·
I hear ya man. I just took mine out for a good 45 min yesterday to get one final day out of the bike. So do you just put stabil in the gas tank, cover it, and that is it? This will be my first season of having to winterize the VTX.
@Jason,top off the tank add your stabil or seafoam, ride the bike for a couple of miles to make sure the mix gets down in to the carb. Lastly hook up your battery tender. Also if you can don't park it directly on the concrete, bad for tires.
+1...Except that I've always just parked on the concrete garage floor, and have yet to have any tire problems...

Hey guys, just another suggestion here. I have done alot of experimenting with gas/ethanol/water being an auto tech for the last 30 years. If you take a test tube, put some gas in it, about 2 fingers full, add about 10-15 drops of colored water in it. Try taking out the water with Sta-bil, heet, whatever. About two fingers full of anything. It's amazing what you see. As far as results, the ONLY thing I have seen that takes it out/makes a "proper burnable" liquid is from a company called BG. Get their ethanol/fuel drier pack. One part is perfect for winter storage, other part takes the water out completely! Just use half of each bottle per tank full and you will never have any troubles. This is a once a year treatment due to having alcohol in it, which will dry out your o-rings, seals, causing them to break if used anymore than that. I'm not here promoting anything, nor do I work for them, I just use their products and am very convinced and confident in what they have to offer. I also use their CF5 gas additive as routine maintenance. 84,000 on my last bike with no carb issues, hesitation, etc. I use their synthetic gear oil for my final drive as well

Not turning this thread into a debate about additives...But you run whatever 'snake oil" makes you happy...I've been running E-10 gas for over 20 years with no additives except Stabil for winter storage, and some seafoam once a year and NEVER had any problems...No need to add some crap every tankful....

#42 ·
@Jason,top off the tank add your stabil or seafoam, ride the bike for a couple of miles to make sure the mix gets down in to the carb. Lastly hook up your battery tender. Also if you can don't park it directly on the concrete, bad for tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.