Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 175 Posts

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
carb was rejjeted by friend when installed big shots.?????
Another one bites the dust :nope:...Does your "friend" still have the stock parts out of your carb????...Tell him you want them back, then don't let him touch your bike ever again :spank:...We'll help you get it right :mosh:...

·
Registered
18,990 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi. I just signed up on this site today and was looking at posts regarding new exhausts and backfiring, etc..... I just bought a left over '07 VTX 1300C and am in the same boat as you. I have less than 200 miles on it right now and I am not very mechanical, so you're not alone!

·
Registered
47 Posts
well I still have not pinpointed exactly which way this thing is running now , lean or rich, I say that because before I changed plugs and replaced air filter with a [email protected] it needed to be choked for quite a while when first starting in morning, and plugs where fouled due to this,and exess fuel in filter box, but now needs less choke to start, no exess fuel in box, but still a little hesitation when getting on throttle while riding , and slight popping from exaust once in while. you think lean or rich? going to take care of pair valve removal soon see what that does for sound. thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Resoluiton

I love this site and all the help I get from it. I see dozens of great recommendations, but rarely do I see someone post the final result and how they got there. Here's mine:

Similar to many, I had these symptoms

"Bike accelerates fine until around 3rd gear. Then it acts like it is struggling to get fuel.
At 3rd gear thru 5th in cruising speeds bike surges back and forth with power.
At deceleration although I have the reed vavle blocking kit installed there is still backfire."

I have a 2004 VTX 1300 that is NOW bone stock. I had V&H BS pipes and a Kury Hyper. I put the factory jets back in and took out the needle shim.

Resolution:
1/4 turn rich on my A/F screw, and all was right with the world. Total of 2 turns out. What a rocket!

Plenty of brain food at the VTX Cafe. :coffee:

Adam

·
Registered
36 Posts
well I still have not pinpointed exactly which way this thing is running now , lean or rich, I say that because before I changed plugs and replaced air filter with a [email protected] it needed to be choked for quite a while when first starting in morning, and plugs where fouled due to this,and exess fuel in filter box, but now needs less choke to start, no exess fuel in box, but still a little hesitation when getting on throttle while riding , and slight popping from exaust once in while. you think lean or rich? going to take care of pair valve removal soon see what that does for sound. thanks
Mailman62,

In my experience, any "popping" is lean. Lean is bad. Not even meat is good lean. The only good popping is corn and fireworks.

What kind of air intake and exhaust do you have on, and have you been inside the carb? Did you get the A/F tool, and how many turns out is it?

So many questions, so little coffee.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Still a little lean?????

My bike was having the lean problems so I backed my A/F screw out about 1/4 turn. Bike runs much better, but I am still having a little bit of problems.

I have to run with the choke on for 10-15 minutes when it's 60-65 degrees out. If I take the choke off too early, it has terrible acceleration and even at a slow but steady speed it will sound like it misses and kind of sputters a little.

Am I still a little lean??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's my experience. I took mine and had it put on a dyno. They jetted my carb (back to factory) and showed me the printout. He explained that the bike is cold blooded, and I shouldn't be afraid to use the choke as long as I don't over-choke it or leave it on to long. .In an almost reassuring manner, he said "it's okay to use the choke". I suppose they put the choke on the bike for a reason.

So, I choke my bike, sometimes a seemingly long time. But I'll tell you this: it runs like a top, doesn't foul the plugs, and I just logged 36 mpg.

The choke is not the devil.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Here's my experience. I took mine and had it put on a dyno. They jetted my carb (back to factory) and showed me the printout. He explained that the bike is cold blooded, and I shouldn't be afraid to use the choke as long as I don't over-choke it or leave it on to long. .In an almost reassuring manner, he said "it's okay to use the choke". I suppose they put the choke on the bike for a reason.

So, I choke my bike, sometimes a seemingly long time. But I'll tell you this: it runs like a top, doesn't foul the plugs, and I just logged 36 mpg.

The choke is not the devil.
Read your owners manual on proper use of the choke then ask yourself why they state about half a minute use then fully off.

This is because they know it will foul the plugs fast

by the way it is page 40 and 41 in my owners manual.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Think my Bike is running Rich

Sorry to all, I know this question has problem been asked a million times. It just stinks when it happens to your bike. I have a 2007 VTX-1300S and put Cobra Slash-down pipes on it. I purchased the Cobra Jet kit for it but have not installed it yet. I have ridden it several times and it has been backfiring when decelerating, other than that it rode fine.

However; yesterday I brought it for about a 120 mile ride. Towards the end of the ride the backfiring got worse then I couldn’t even accelerate. Every time I got on the throttle it would pop, backfire, and hesitate to the point I had to pull over.

Is this merely because I need to install the jet kit or is this problem something bigger? Is the jet kit easy to install or should I just bring it to the dealer?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Sorry to all, I know this question has problem been asked a million times. It just stinks when it happens to your bike. I have a 2007 VTX-1300S and put Cobra Slash-down pipes on it. I purchased the Cobra Jet kit for it but have not installed it yet. I have ridden it several times and it has been backfiring when decelerating, other than that it rode fine.

However; yesterday I brought it for about a 120 mile ride. Towards the end of the ride the backfiring got worse then I couldn’t even accelerate. Every time I got on the throttle it would pop, backfire, and hesitate to the point I had to pull over.

Is this merely because I need to install the jet kit or is this problem something bigger? Is the jet kit easy to install or should I just bring it to the dealer?
You need to retighten the flange bolts, then you need to open the A/F screw about 1/2 turn then you need to get the pair valve block off plates on order and install them.

Jet kit is a waste of $$$ so return it if you can and if you change your intake then follow the scar carb write up it is a red sticky post on the 1300 board

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know everyone has their problems but mine is quite similar and has snuck up just recently, running cobra speedster long pipes, Kury pro hyper charger w/jet kit (consisting of #65 pilot, #185 main, and 0.8 needle shim i believe those are the numbers) and recently it has been experienceing a engine surge whil in 5th gear and running around 60-65 mph. I have done no mods other thatn the afore mentioned, I have the block off plates for the pair mod but have not yet installed them andI have not adjusted on the A/F screw at all. Is it lean on top, do i need to adjust the A/F screw, will the pair mod help? sorry for the edit, it is a 06 1300c

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I know everyone has their problems but mine is quite similar and has snuck up just recently, running cobra speedster long pipes, Kury pro hyper charger w/jet kit (consisting of #65 pilot, #185 main, and 0.8 needle shim i believe those are the numbers) and recently it has been experienceing a engine surge whil in 5th gear and running around 60-65 mph. I have done no mods other thatn the afore mentioned, I have the block off plates for the pair mod but have not yet installed them andI have not adjusted on the A/F screw at all. Is it lean on top, do i need to adjust the A/F screw, will the pair mod help?
I bet there are over 100 post of the same problem, get that 65 pilot out of there get that 185 main out toss the needle in the trash along with everything else.

put the stock jets in get 2 (.020 shims) #4 washers set your A/F at 2 1/4 and you should be right in the ballpark

·
Registered
14 Posts
right on thanks for the quick reply, will give it a shop tomorrow!

not to sound ignorant or anything but I am looking for my stock needles now, but if I cant find them can you tell me what sie they were for a 06 1300C? If I go into the dealership and dont know what size I want then invariably the counter guy is some young kid who just shrugs his shoulders and goes "I dont know"

never mind found it! just looking for the part number for the washer now

41 - 60 of 175 Posts