Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Im still unsure about the tit clipping, Im guessing since the needle moves freely im good and can adjust the length with the needle clip. But the factory cut the tit at an angle, would the needle slip? its almost at a 45deg. It hasn't been clipped because the ring is still showing, like 1/8in up.

·
Super Moderator
11,364 Posts
As long as the needle will wiggle , the angle of the tit does not matter. The only purpose of the tit is to hold the spring. If the spring is held, the needle wiggles, and you can get the needle into the main jet, all is good.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: mjklaser

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
As long as the needle will wiggle , the angle of the tit does not matter. The only purpose of the tit is to hold the spring. If the spring is held, the needle wiggles, and you can get the needle into the main jet, all is good.

G'day,

Vinish
Being the 'Helpie McHelperton from Helpville' that I am, I thought that as a public service, I would help you all visualize the tit holding the spring (as insufficiently described above):

·
Registered
3 Posts
I turned up the idle so it wouldn't stall at a stop. Now, for the first time I ran out of gas at 112 to reserve, then only 117 miles I was sitting on the side of the road. The lowest mileage I've ever seen before is 150, before I have to switch it to reserve. (I've achieved as high as 216 before putting it on reserve, but that was coming back from Denver, dropping about 3,000 feet in elevation.) Could adjusting the idle up, all city driving (5 mile and under trips) and several long idles waiting for trains caused this? That's the only explanation I can come up with, but it doesn't die on me at stop lights anymore.

It is running great, great acceleration, smooth, everything I want in performance, but 23 mpg makes me wonder if I have a problem somewhere. I can't find a leak, but when I park it in the garage, there is a slight smell of gas when I come back in the garage. It's a 2006 that I bought new, and only have 12,000 miles on it, (I've got a couple of other bikes that I ride as well.) Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2004 VTX 1300c with a K&N Air Filter in the stock air cleaner housing and the bike has Cobra Dragsters exhaust. I bought the bike used and took the carb apart to see if a past owner had performed the re-jetting and needle work. They did the needle work, except they did not clip the tit as everyone recommends here, so I clipped it and put it all back together. I didn't bother looking at the size of the jets since the needle looks just like the needle in the DynaJet Stage 1 kit (which I now need to sell or something.) I get around 42 miles to the gallon regardless of how I drive. The garage always smells like gas when I park the bike in the garage. I have yet to find the source of the gas smell.

In your case there are a couple of easy things I recommend checking (not that I am an expert, only a novice with a service manual having logged hours reading posts on VTXCafe.) First there is a vent hose from the back right side of your gas tank. There should be a short piece of hose leading to a T connector. The bottom of the T should be clear and open and the straight away part of the T leading almost to the ground. It should be routed so it does not interfere with anything or burn on the exhaust,. According to what I have read, if this hose is not set up right, including the T part, you could end up with a vacuum in your tank or your tank could drain gas out through the vent tubing, That T connector prevents a vacuum from forming behind any gas overflow from the tank. Without it, that tubing could siphon gas out of your tank. If your bike is not running extremely rich, this hose could be the culprit. If your bike is running rich, the plugs should be fouling and overall performance should be down. If someone adjusted your fuel air mixture at high altitude, when you dropped down to lower altitudes your bike would be running rich. You can read about these things in the owner's manual. My bike has a carb, no fuel injection. If you have fuel injection, I would check the tubing from gas tank vent.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another easy to check, I was smelling gas like crazy and it ended up being the hose to the petcock. The hose was on but the clamp was loose and it was leaking, just a tiny bit, but enough I smelled like gas when I got off. Maybe give that a peak also.

·
Super Moderator
11,364 Posts
Pull the dipstick and smell the oil on it. If it smells strongly of gas, do NOT ride the bike and post back here for more guidance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently removed my tank to run some wires under it and since then my bike has been running lean. It idles high when hot, pops on decel, stutters at low rpm. I have taken the tank off before and didn't have any problem. The only difference I can see is that I forgot to hook up the fuel and vacuum hoses to the petcock and ran it a few minutes without those this time. Do yall think that would cause it to run lean? Or any other suggestions on what to check?

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive drilled out my stock baffles can it be tuned just by the a/f screw or does it HAVE to be rejetted?? also what is meant by (shims)

·
Registered
82 Posts
ive drilled out my stock baffles can it be tuned just by the a/f screw or does it HAVE to be rejetted?? also what is meant by (shims)
If it takes off from a stop without sputtering and your plugs look normal you can probably leave it. Adjust the A/F per recommendations. BUT IMO my VTX never ran better with the jet kit. If you have the know how I’d do it.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts