Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings X-ers!

I have an '06 1800R with 20K+ miles and Leather-lyke hard saddle bags. I love the size and styling of the bags, and the locking system. The bags have a 12 pound limit. My bike is kept in the garage. I have noticed cracks in the plastic adjacent to the mounting bolts of the drivers side bag and I wanted to warn others.

Things I have noticed about these bags:

1-The chrome shock was being scratched :swear: so I have covered the shock with HVAC shiny duct tape to prevent scratching the chrome at the nylon bumper.
2-The passenger side bag leans closer to the frame than the drivers side. I think this is due to the angle of the bike when it it on the kickstand, only 20K+ miles.
3- Easy to remove for servicing or cruising.
4- The key lock appears to be a higher security type.
5- The bags have remained pretty close to color with minimal fading.
6- I just noticed these cracks last week.

I did see a repair kit online the other day, so the problem is not limited to me. :hmm2:I think I can make from supplies at the house for free.

Has anyone else had the same problem.:confused:

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,423 Posts
Glen has two things you need.....one is something that will keep your bags off the shock.....the other is a metal reinforcement of the bags around the holes. I had that and contacted Leatherlyke....they have modified the bags and stopped the cracking......try to contact them and see if they will give you replacemet bags....that's what they did for me!! just be nice about it!!

http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glen has two things you need.....one is something that will keep your bags off the shock.....the other is a metal reinforcement of the bags around the holes. I had that and contacted Leatherlyke....they have modified the bags and stopped the cracking......try to contact them and see if they will give you replacemet bags....that's what they did for me!! just be nice about it!!

http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/
Shweet....! That would be great. At about $500 for replacements, that would be super sweet. I'll give them my cute puppy daog look when I call.

·
Registered
16,958 Posts
A week after I bought my LL's used, I got the Glen's reinforcements. Except for a little trouble with the rubber grommets, they've been great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have a set on my Shadow Ace.. they have over 80,000 miles on them and no issues... i just bought new ones for my X and they are the new reinforced ones and they are much better... leather lyke is a great company to work with..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts