Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just bought some flexible led light strips to add to my brake light and running light but cant seem to figure out how to make it work for when the key is on they light up and when i press the brake it comes on bright any ideas thanks, also the led strip has 2 12 volt contacts and 2 ground contacts but the brake light wiring only has 1 g/y wire and a brown wire to the light ??

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,186 Posts
Brown should be running light and the other brake. Your bike might vary that's just going off memory. Your ground goes to any ground.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thx but should i use the 2 grounds and 2 hot from the strip or just 1 ground and 1 hot
Brown should be running light and the other brake. Your bike might vary that's just going off memory. Your ground goes to any ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys i just bought some flexible led light strips to add to my brake light and running light but cant seem to figure out how to make it work for when the key is on they light up and when i press the brake it comes on bright any ideas thanks, also the led strip has 2 12 volt contacts and 2 ground contacts but the brake light wiring only has 1 g/y wire and a brown wire to the light ??
I have a 1157 taillight brake light bulb that rotate and it Flashes when you hit the brakes. Easiest way to do the brake light, just change the bulb.
I also have those led flex lights on my trunk and on my saddle bags. I have those on a separate toggle switch mounted on the side.
Just run a HOT & GROUND from the battery to the toggle switch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 1157 taillight brake light bulb that rotate and it Flashes when you hit the brakes. Easiest way to do the brake light, just change the bulb.
I also have those led flex lights on my trunk and on my saddle bags. I have those on a separate toggle switch mounted on the side.
Ok thax ill check the toggle switch out, but question is you say change bulb for tail light and you say it rotates and flashes when hit brake? How does that work i never heard of a bulb that rotates and flashes is there something you did to make it do that?

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Swap the 1157 for a 2357 for a slightly brighter taillight. Not as bright as an LED, but better than stock. I've used one for 4 or 5 years now.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Ill check that out thx
I sometimes forget that I have one of the early (02-03) VTX, and some things were 'upgraded' in later models. But I'm thinking the taillight/ brake bulbs should all be the same? Make sure the bulb pins are located in the same places before forcing it into the socket. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok thax ill check the toggle switch out, but question is you say change bulb for tail light and you say it rotates and flashes when hit brake? How does that work i never heard of a bulb that rotates and flashes is there something you did to make it do that?
Bought the bulb online, Walmart has the bulbs that flash when you hit the brakes. Maybe auto parts too, not sure. Yes I have never seen one that rotate, it goes in one direction, then goes in the other direction. It gets your attention. Not sure where I got it online, but do a search, you will find one.
I like it cuz people notice it.
GREG

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have that same rear bulb- love it! Everybody asks where to get one. Got mine from Cruiser Customizing on line.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have that same rear bulb- love it! Everybody asks where to get one. Got mine from Cruiser Customizing on line.
Thx but i looked it up and dont see or find that name cruiser customizing ? They have another name competition accessories but they dont have that flashing bulb either ?

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Cruiser Customizing (maybe Customs?) is a legit aftermarket seller.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No its just the tail light bulb, just change the bulb, that's it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts