Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to send my fenders and tank to paint. Before I do such a thing, I am trying to alter my rear. haha (couldn't help it ) Looking to just shave the whole fender minus the turn signals. I will make those my turn/break lights. My issue right now if the license plate. What do I do with it? I wondering about the side mounts. I like them but not sure if I will still be able to mount my saddle bags when I want them on. Or can I still mount them?

Ideas, concerns, dislikes? Let me know what I should do with my rear! (lol last one)

·
Registered
882 Posts
They just might pop you on this one if you put it on the side.

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 320
MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSES
View Entire Chapter[SIZE=-1]320.061 Unlawful to alter motor vehicle registration certificates, license plates, mobile home stickers, or validation stickers or to obscure license plates; penalty.—No person shall alter the original appearance of any registration license plate, mobile home sticker, validation sticker, or vehicle registration certificate issued for and assigned to any motor vehicle or mobile home, whether by mutilation, alteration, defacement, or change of color or in any other manner. No person shall apply or attach any substance, reflective matter, illuminated device, spray, coating, covering, or other material onto or around any license plate that interferes with the legibility, angular visibility, or detectability of any feature or detail on the license plate or interferes with the ability to record any feature or detail on the license plate. Any person who violates this section commits a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318. History.—s. 9, ch. 28186, 1953; s. 3, ch. 69-178; s. 192, ch. 71-136; s. 3, ch. 72-79; s. 7, ch. 77-357; s. 15, ch. 83-318; s. 33, ch. 96-413; s. 23, ch. 2007-196; s. 25, ch. 2010-162.

[/SIZE]

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that Cali state statues or Florida? Also no alteration of the plate will be done. Only location.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I removed the whole light assembly, layed my tag down to follow the fender, added LED bolts to light it up and an extra LED brake light below the tag frame. Looks much cleaner.
Florida law states the tag must be centered, 24" off the ground and parallel, reading left to right, so technically mine is too low, but the stock plate isn't 24" either.

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the whole light assembly, layed my tag down to follow the fender, added LED bolts to light it up and an extra LED brake light below the tag frame. Looks much cleaner.
Florida law states the tag must be centered, 24" off the ground and parallel, reading left to right, so technically mine is too low, but the stock plate isn't 24" either.
Now I havnt really seen any plate description that doesnt allow me to install that plate holder you go with out the assembly. Is your plate frame special or could I just use any plate frame? Like maybe getting the laydown curve.....

The holes on the fender are up high, higher than the big assembly hole under it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Maybe put the bags on and move the plate around until you find a spot you like and will work for you--------just a thought ...good luck

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Now I havnt really seen any plate description that doesnt allow me to install that plate holder you go with out the assembly. Is your plate frame special or could I just use any plate frame? Like maybe getting the laydown curve.....

The holes on the fender are up high, higher than the big assembly hole under it.
I just used a piece of flat aluminum plate to make a backing plate, with 3 holes in it near the top, to mount to the screw bosses in the fender. The plate hangs down and covers the hole in the fender. Any frame should work, the curved one would require you to curve the backing plate though, no big deal.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Is that Cali state statues or Florida? Also no alteration of the plate will be done. Only location.
This is for your state. What the are looking for is the red light camaras ability to get the tag number. I have been hearing that Florida is writing the side mount tags and the sport bikes that hide them under the fender.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
You can use a side mount in Florida but the plate has to be Horizontal if you run it on it's side it's against the law. They say the police can't read the vertical mounted plates. This law came into effect about 3 years ago along with the new noise levels for pipes. I forgot one thing the mounting plate cannot even have the ability to be used as a vertical. Some types allow you to use the plate either way and they don't allow that type on the bike.

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just wondering why you would want to mess up the original fender? The Retro fender is nice the way it comes.
Your right. She's a pretty fender buy I want to just stand out alittle. Slight difference.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I'm just wondering why you would want to mess up the original fender? The Retro fender is nice the way it comes.
There is no messing up the fender. Just the opposite.
By getting rid of the ugly billboard license plate assembly and streamlining it, it shows the smooth lines of the fender more.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I removed the billboard, took some then sheet metal, cut it to slightly smaller than the lic. plate, bent it and my plate and mounted it where the billboard was. Just put holes in it to mount it where the stock mounting holes were.

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, I guess thats the best option. Cut a thin sheet of metal and drill holes over the top part. Make the plate rest back and maybe possibly curved.

Check this out. I had my brother photoshop the removal of the brake light... What do you think?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
If you remove your brake just keep in mind that your turns that you change to brake/run/turns will need to be red

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you remove your brake just keep in mind that your turns that you change to brake/run/turns will need to be red
Yea, they have always been red bulb and red lens. I will be purchasing the proper kit to do the turn/brake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts