Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Light bar and High Beams

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  vtxhyde 
#1 ·
I have a Honda line light bar attached to my VTX. Is the light bar suppose to turn off when high beam is selected? The light bar has a dedicated switch for power. I was really suprised when I selected high beam and the light bar shut down. As soon as I select low beam the light bar lights. Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
I have a Honda line light bar attached to my VTX. Is the light bar suppose to turn off when high beam is selected? The light bar has a dedicated switch for power. I was really suprised when I selected high beam and the light bar shut down. As soon as I select low beam the light bar lights. Thanks for the help.

The light bar is working correctly.
There is a relay locate in the headlight enclosure to turn them off when high beam is selected. The aux switch will turn them off all the time or enable them to work when the low beam is selected.

#7 ·
It's the law to ensure that you don't 'blind' the oncoming traffic.
You can however "cut the blue wire" at least, with the hondaline light bar. see attached pic. I cut mine and inserted a switch which hangs out of the light bucket. Thus, when I take it in for the annual inspection, I throw the switch, it works as per the law, I pass the inspection, I throw the switch and it's all lights back on with the highbeam.... :D
by the way, that's not my pic...it was a good pic of the wire that was posted by another user here on the Cafe but I forget who...sorry about that.

#8 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I guessed it was setup properly. However, I think it is a stupid design. I will take the suggestion to cut the blue wire and install a switch for inspection purposes. Will this affect a HID conversion with ballast? Thanks!

#9 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I guessed it was setup properly. However, I think it is a stupid design. I will take the suggestion to cut the blue wire and install a switch for inspection purposes. Will this affect a HID conversion with ballast? Thanks!
I have the H4 PIAA upgrade bulb so I can not answer what effect it will have on the HID conversion from a practical experience perspective. I do have a headlight modulator adapter and it is not effected. I don't see why as it really is just a sensor wire that see's the highbeam has power and it shuts off the lightbar until the circuit goes dead then it turns on the lightbar again. I expect that you will have an answer from someone who has actual experience with this in short order though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.