Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a MS batwing in the mail today. The installation was straight forward and easy. After getting everything lined up correctly and straight I noticed how quick and easy it is to remove it. Which, causes me some concern as anyone can take it off of my bike and in the truck of their car in seconds.

Does anyone have a technique for adding a security lock to their MS that may prevent someone from easily walking away with thier windshield?

Thanks in advance!

Wes

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Don't have an answer for ya, sorry, but that's kind of the risk we take riding a bike, too easy to steal, or rip something off your ride. You could probably incorporate some kind of cable lock from the mounting & mounting hardware, but if a thief really wants it, they're gonna take it. Wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you're in a high risk crime area. I've got an MS shield w/trigger release myself, I don't worry that much about it.

·
citement
2,236 Posts
The only thing I can think of that might work would be to put a clamp over the trigger lock and use tamper resistant screws to secure it. It's not a perfect solution but it would eliminate the ability to get away with it in mere seconds. After that if concern is high, I'd look at putting an alarm on it.

Here's where to get the screws. http://www.brycefastener.com/

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Have the same concerns with my Switchblade and Memphis shades Quick Release. Have purchased a small very strong small link chain. Going to encase the chain in a clear rubber hose (hopefully will prevent any scarring or scratching by the chain of any bike surfaces), drill a small hole (just big enough for the rubber to fit through) in the windshield bracket and loop it around the fork or some other permanent point.

I also have a set of 15 Masterlock small match keyed padlocks that I use on the bikes to lock saddlebags, touring bags, tool bags and the barrel bags. I will use one of these padlocks to secure the chain.

I don't think it will be noticeable when in use and really won't be needed all the time. Just will be nice to have when in strange areas, leaving the bike parked for extended periods by itself or at overnights.

Same principal in my mind as the bicycle cable I run through the touring bags and the barrel bags and around the sissy bar. Won't keep somebody who really wants it from getting them but might discourage the impulse thief.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Maybe I gullible, but I generally think that there's still a "bad biker stigma" amongst those that don't ride and that they would be afraid to mess with a bikers property. That being said, I've always believed that a padlock only keeps an honest man honest. A friends bike was pulled from his driveway with the handlebar lock on (visible tire marks from being pulled down the driveway) and was laying on it's side at the sidewalk when he got home. If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts