Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Very touching. To this day I don't think our Vietnam vets get enough recognition or thanks for the hell they went through.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Wow Thank you so much for that video. You've heard me talk about my childhood friends who didn't make it home from Nam, Mark Spooner is one who did come home. It was great seeing him on the video, I had no idea he had taken his daughter to Nam with him. I first met Mark when I was about 10, later we were both Marines in Nam at the same time. He was on Hill 10 in motars and I was at Marble Mt. I used to deliver supplies to his hill. We managed to get together at each others bases a time or two.
We were playing poker at Hill 10 one day and I hit the ground when I heard rounds.He and his friends waited for me to get up and laughed because I didn't know it was outgoing shells.
We were in the founding members of Chapter 9 of the Viet Nam Vets in Detroit. We bought the old Greens Streets Resturant in the Cass Corridor and it was a pigs sty. It took us months just to remove the trash and water from the place. We spent a lot of time at a members bar in the Corridor called the New/Old Miami Bar, it was strickly a Vets hang out. More bikes than cars there most night, it was to say the least one hell of a rowdy bar. Mark owned a bar near downtown but we didn't go there that much.
I lost track of Mark somewhere along the line but I emailed the makers of the video for his info. Hopefully we can get together and shoot the chit about old times. In fact since I have the room up North I'd like to get the whole gang(what's left of us) and have a whole weekend to spend with them again.
What a flood of memories that video released. It was good memories and some not so good but that's the way it was then.
Thanks again and sorry it was so long winded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts