Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I posted an urgent help thread regarding a whining noise coming from under the tank, and the consensus was the fuel pump. A friend of mine wanted to take a look at a Goldwing at a local stealership and asked me to go with him, I took the opportunity to stop by service and talk to the "head technician", he told me to pull the gas cap off and listen by the opening and if I could hear the pump, it was probably a goner and promptly quoted me $175.00 for labor. No dice. Job took about 2 hours start to finish. The longest part of it was getting to the pump, seats, tank, fuel and vent lines etc. Once the tank was off the bike, probably 15 minutes in and out. Helpful hint, anyone that has to pull your tank, replace that stupid spring clip on the gas line feeding into to the tank with a hose clamp. It will make your next adventure sooooo much easier.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Way to go Marty! :cheers: Glad you got her running again.
Thanks Vince! Now if you ever get your bike back, we can go for a ride!:choppersm

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Thanks Vince! Now if you ever get your bike back, we can go for a ride!:choppersm
Believe me Marty, EVERYONE will know when I get my bike back. But I'll be riding to your house shortly after pictures :D:choppersm

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Nice one! Good advice on the hose clamps!

My first venture I ended up with fuel all over me, on the floor, garage closed, no one home... it was insane... thanks to DrOmega I got it back together.

Mort

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Believe me Marty, EVERYONE will know when I get my bike back. But I'll be riding to your house shortly after pictures :D:choppersm
I llook forward to that day in the not too distant future.

Nice one! Good advice on the hose clamps!

My first venture I ended up with fuel all over me, on the floor, garage closed, no one home... it was insane... thanks to DrOmega I got it back together.

Mort
LOL, I did the same thing when I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, forgot to pull the fuel line from the top and got a gasoline bath. Really glad that I wasn't smoking a cigar at the time.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, wonder how much the stealer would have charged for the pump? 325.00 online w shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
2,807 Posts
nice work brother...how are those new springs treating you?

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice work brother...how are those new springs treating you?
Hey Scott, springs smoothed out the ride, thanks again for your help with those. Having someone who's been there done that makes the job that much easier. How's your situation coming?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Bear, there is always a sense of accomplishment felt after the anxiety when you turn the key with that little mental prayer that goes through our heads, "please God let it start" and it does :)!!! Michelle my wife actually helped, handing me tools, holding the tank up and fetching beers for me. So we had quality time together as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Thanks Bear, there is always a sense of accomplishment felt after the anxiety when you turn the key with that little mental prayer that goes through our heads, "please God let it start" and it does :)!!! Michelle my wife actually helped, handing me tools, holding the tank up and fetching beers for me. So we had quality time together as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
You hit on an important part of owning a bike and enjoying it. The WIFE, having her in your corner rather than ragging on you is very crucuial to enjoying working on the bike. Karen doesn't help me unless I ask for it but she doesn't say a word about all the changes the bike has gone through. Some parts have been changed 4 or 5 times and not once has she asked why or said anything about why I give stuff away. Not even when I gave my complete MS Batwing away. She actually said Matt deserved it, it's great to have a wife that understands I need to be building something all the time. She's been thru cars, trucks and bikes more than the average person goes thru. She's a joy to have around, sounds like yours is too.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Karen sounds a lot like Michelle, she never rolls her eyes or rags at me about anything that I want to get. She usually just says "if you want it get it", and she'll usually hang out in the garage while I put it together. I guess we're pretty lucky Jerry.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 18 of 18 Posts