Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am meeting a guy halfway about 65 miles from my place. I have ridden a 1800 but not the N model. Is there much difference between the other models? Another issue is the bike has a Ultimate Big Boy seat on it and I am concerned if it would sit me up too high and back too far since I am only 5' 9". Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
As for performance I wouldn't think there would be any difference between the models. As for the seat...sit on it then decide. You can always change it. NOTE: When you start shopping for mods the N (except for the finders) is the same as the R & S. Good luck. Post pics when you can. :choppersm

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year model?
How many miles?
What color is it?
What is he asking for it?

3500 miles

Bright Blue Metallic

$6900

It also has the Hondaline bags, windshield, the Ultimate seat is a 4-piece, and a few other goodies.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
When you do the test-drive if the engine performance is satisfactory and it shifts without any problems, the tires are in good shape, the brake pads still look good, all the electrical works including lights, no damage to the body etc.

Ask what scheduled and preventive maintenance has been done, and how recent was it performed.

Get down look under the engine for any damage or signs of fluid leaks, and check underneath at the rear for any damage to the fuel pump or leaks there.

If all checks out ok then I would offer him $5,300.00 then wait for him to counter on your offer if he does, but I wouldn't go anymore than $5,900.00.

Remember “When in doubt don’t”, if you have some questions get back on the forum and get the answers you feel comfortable with before you decide.

Appearance and cleanliness speaks volumes about how it has been maintained.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
368 Posts
You are the perfect height for that Ultimate seat, I am 5'10" and have the Ultimate Big Boy and could not be happier. It's a decent deal on the price, not great not bad.
I would look for some fudging on price, but to offer a man $1600.00 less than he is asking may just serve to piss him off and then he might not sell at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are the perfect height for that Ultimate seat, I am 5'10" and have the Ultimate Big Boy and could not be happier. It's a decent deal on the price, not great not bad.
I would look for some fudging on price, but to offer a man $1600.00 less than he is asking may just serve to piss him off and then he might not sell at all.
If it's in the condition he assures me it is in, I believe, for my area the price is right. He has already gone down some on price. well see in about 8 hours.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, howd it go?

·
Master Chromer
4,226 Posts
Don't buy the N, they are slow, ugly and are the worst of the VTX line. All N's were purposely built on Monday's and Friday's and come with half the parts they should have and only 1 of the two cylinders. I raced a honda ruckus 50cc scooter the other day and I barely pulled away from him but he got me in the quarter mile. I had to give him my pink slip. :( I understand that particular model has a self destruct mode that takes place at 20,000 miles. I'm looking forward to that on mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Things just didn't work out yesterday for either of us. We'll see about this weekend, if it's still available.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Just got back from a 270 mile day trip on my '06 N. Every time I take it out I remember why I got it in the first place. As the others have stated, only real difference is cosmetic. But that Grave Digger fender and flush mount chevron taillight gets a lot of stares and comments. By the way, this was the first ride with the new Ultimate Big Boy seat. I love it. I loved my Mustang but the Ultimate is more comfy. :choppersm

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,434 Posts
the N is a very cool looking bike......and the Ultimate Big Boy is wonderful! you might need risers, if he hasnt already done that....I've had mine for five years and it gets better each year!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
the N is a very cool looking bike......and the Ultimate Big Boy is wonderful! you might need risers, if he hasnt already done that....I've had mine for five years and it gets better each year!!
If you add risers, be careful you might need new brake lines and a clutch line depending upon how much longer the risers are. I just changed my handlebar for ones with 2 inches of more pullback and am going through getting new lines right now. But, once you have the VTX the way you want it, it will be worth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kind of concerned.
Care to explain what happened?
Met with him today and before I knew it I was riding it home :mosh: It is in excellent condition and a Spec 2 which I didn't know, neither did he. All in all a great day. I'll post pics tomorrow. :drunk:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts