Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing the oil, valves, coolant, final drive oil, and more this comming weekend. I have a jack but not a stand nor the money to buy a fancy one. I was wondering if anyone had fashioned such a contrivance out of wood or some other inexpensive material. If so, care to share?

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
There are a few on here that have made wood ones.
You can also make one out of pipe and fittings from the hardware store.
Some people have no problem working with it on the jack, I like to have a stand under it myself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of using 4x4 lumber to make a couple and then put soemthing between them to impart some lateral stability.

I hadn't thought of pipe/fittings... I may look into that.

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
I thought it would be ok, just working on it on the jack, but it's kind've tippy front to back. I'm buying a Pepsx stand soon.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I have always just used the jack with no real problems other than tripping over it.

Basedude made one out of wood and you may be able to get direction from him.
There's a thread in here someplace with the wood stand I pretty much copied, but haven't been able to find it yet...:banghead:

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Finishing mine up right now. I used this picture for the size and design. I am using nails because the drill and screws are pissing me off. Nails gets the job done and takes out the frustration. View attachment 24259

Buy 4 2x4s and your only going to use 3 and a half. Also I went with the 25" width instead of 29"

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh, HAH! That's almost exactly what I was envisioning in my wittle pea brain! I was planning on using two sets of 6x6s stacked two high and using two pieces of pipe in between to tie them together.

Shamefully, I remember reading that thread a long time ago...

·
33,457 Posts
Just measured mine....

15" high
19" between the uprights
24" deep

Made form 2x8's, 2x4's and 1/2" particle board (spacers between the 2x8's to make them as wide as a 2x4)....Got the wood from work (free) and used an air nailer I borrowed from work to put it together here at home...

Not the greatest pics, but here's a few...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Bass. That looks like one to build from.

Looking at yours, I think I may make mine a little taller to be like yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bassdude, how do you get your bike on the stand? Jack it up really high and then slide the stand under it? I need both a jack and a stand. What type of jack are you using?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Be aware of your jack before you build.

I built one last week from 4x4 and there was no clearance for the jack at the bottom of the stand. I have the red craftsman jack.

·
33,457 Posts
Bassdude, how do you get your bike on the stand? Jack it up really high and then slide the stand under it? I need both a jack and a stand. What type of jack are you using?
Yup...My wife helps steady the bike, and slides the stand in place after I jack it up high enough to clear the stand...Then we carefully lower the bike onto the stand...

Be aware of your jack before you build....
+1...I have the yellow Harbor Freight jack, and made sure to leave myself enoough clearance inside the stand to fit the jack...Otherwise it woulda just been firewood...lol...:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts