Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ride, eat, sleep...repeat
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our biker club has a challenge for the riding season. We are to ride to and take a picture at as many different ice cream shops as we can. I am looking for places within a three-hour ride to visit. That way we can ride there, have some ice cream, and ride back in one day. Starting point is the center of Northern Indiana about an hour south of the Michigan border.

·
X-Bull Rider
1,052 Posts
Hey Jim,
Its a nice ride over to Rensselaer. There is a place 1/2 block from downtown (a block is a big measurment in Rensselaer) on the main drag called the Buzy Bee that has good soft serve and the Fair Oaks Farm dairy is a little northwest of town on I-65. The dairy is worth seeing, it is one of the largest milking farms in the midwest and has a complete retail store on site. The state put in a cloverleaf on 65 just to serve the farms needs.

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Jim,
Its a nice ride over to Rensselaer. There is a place 1/2 block from downtown (a block is a big measurment in Rensselaer) on the main drag called the Buzy Bee that has good soft serve and the Fair Oaks Farm dairy is a little northwest of town on I-65. The dairy is worth seeing, it is one of the largest milking farms in the midwest and has a complete retail store on site. The state put in a cloverleaf on 65 just to serve the farms needs.
Now we are getting anxious for warm weather so we can start this adventure! Thanks Roger!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Might be a bit further than three hours out, but there's a place in South Haven Michigan that has some kick ass ice cream...Not the DQ soft serve crap, but real ice cream, and they don't skimp on the serving size either...Don't remember the name of the place, but it's on Phoenix ST, a little bit east of The Black River Tavern...Lots of little shops in that area to visit, and alot of foot traffic..Parking can be a pain though, as it's all "on street" parking, and finding a spot can be a challenge...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yups ice cream shop is at the intersection of IN 13 and US 20, north of Middlebury. The Chief ice cream shop is on Lincoln st in Goshen. Don't forget about Flavor Freeze on US 33 here in Elkhart:icon_drib

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yups ice cream shop is at the intersection of IN 13 and US 20, north of Middlebury. The Chief ice cream shop is on Lincoln st in Goshen. Don't forget about Flavor Freeze on US 33 here in Elkhart:icon_drib
Looks like we'd better get started on this ride! Lots of great places to go visit. Thanks Terry! And Bill - that trip to South Haven is worth it - we were there a couple of years ago and we need to go back... thanks!

·
Reeling Jackwagon
9,050 Posts
Sounds like you might have to invest in a size larger jacket and pants before the season is over. Not that that's a bad thing. :D

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Now that you have us all wanting to make ice cream rides and eat all the ice cream we can. Guess I am not the only ice cream lover out here, the wife I do ice cream rides just about year around in Florida. Ride safe and eat lots of ice cream! You might think about posting when and where you are going to be at these different ice cream stops, allow some of the other VTX Riders to meet you at the different stops and get to meet some fellow ice cream lovers and riders you have yet to meet. Just a thought, I know if I was in your area, the only thing that could hold me back would be two flat tires. Enjoy, looking forward to the pictures and ice cream reports!

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Not certain if Mrs Dole ate it all or not, but she must have made an attempt. The Beacon is a fairly famous old restaurant in that town.. Whenever big time politicians are out "stumping" they usually are shown on TV as having stopped at the Beacon...

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You might think about posting when and where you are going to be at these different ice cream stops, allow some of the other VTX Riders to meet you at the different stops and get to meet some fellow ice cream lovers and riders you have yet to meet. Just a thought, I know if I was in your area, the only thing that could hold me back would be two flat tires. Enjoy, looking forward to the pictures and ice cream reports!
I like your idea of letting the forum know where we are heading when we go. I would like to meet other VTXers that I hear from and about on the cafe'. Good idea! Looking into larger pants.... Okay, not literally "looking into". I am checking on them for the ice cream season.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts