Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody bought up the topic of safety gear this morning and it got me thinking.my wife has expressed interest in riding her own bike but she has a problem with arthritis in her ankles .She can't wear tight restrictive boots or shoes because they give her alot of pain and her ankles swell up quite often. I have told her I don't think she should even try riding solo unless she can find something that is going to give her the support and protection she needs.For one she can't get endorsed without an msf course in Idaho and she can't take the course if she can't wear boots.the other problem is she really shouldn't ride solo if she doesn't have the proper footing when she needs it the last thing she needs it to ride in tennis shoes and drop the bike repeatedly because she doesn't have adequate support.I am really just fishing for Ideas here has anyone else dealt with this or somthing similar.Should I just keep her on the back and tell her to forget it or what options can anyone else think of ???

·
Registered
187 Posts
How about some type of a cowboy boot with a rubber (not leather) sole? Most cowboy boots are pretty roomy in the ankle area....just a thought.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
through the years, i've used Harley boots, and they're roomy around the ankles. I've had Sidestreet and a few years ago, the El Paso, which are or should say, were a little more dressy, with the sole being thinner.

however, when i went to buy another pair, didn't want to pay $159 at Harley or go through the hassle of breaking in a new pair, and i just had the resoled. there are some kits sold for some of the models. you can call it the Boot Mod. well, i didnt want to do that, so i paid almost $75 which was the going price, as i researched a few places, and had them resoled with a Hammer type sole, meaning more sole, more traction than the thin one. i've had them for 2 plus years, my boots feel nice and comfy, very loose around the ankles, no problems with the soles, they hold on in wet weather really well, even in plain old slippery surfaces.
i will suggest, if you do take this approach, find a harley store, let her pick a boot she would like, try it on, for size sakes, let it fit comfortable, then with use she'll break them in more, but again, there are some that are tighter around ankles, after trying them on, order them online. it may still cost you a shipping one way if the size is wrong, but usually you'll save about $50 if not more on the store price, that's why i suggest go to store and try them on!!! here's a couple of pics and a site where i had bought mine a few years back!!! hope this helps some...

http://www.onlinebootstore.com/great-boots/catalog/HarleyMens.html

:coffee::choppersm:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are aces I like all of the ideas now she wants to look at
can am's and boots this weekend :)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
oh yeah, there are some low cut type work shoe type, which leave the ankle bare. but the soles are still oil, slip resistant. sorry i cant help with the cams, spyders, or trikes, but will mention that many trikes today also have reverse. or talk to wa.bound whose name is Traci, she just had a trike kit added on her 13, which can be taken off with 6 bolts, for more options, in case she wants to be free and ride 2 wheel at times.

let us know which way you go, whatever is purchased pics!!! enjoy...:choppersm :mosh:

possibilities are endless, if you get a trike, you can even put chains in the back...i'll stop here...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts