Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question prolly has been discussed here before but couldnt find anything on it.. I just recently bought a 2009 vtx 1300 and the problem im having is that when i go over a ruff spot on the raod (man hole cover, water way etc) i have a thumping noise somewhere in the front end. Almost seems like somthing is slapping under the gas tank but its hard to pin point.. Is this normal for the VTX or should i be worried a little and looking into it more.. Thanks for any help yall might have.. Trent

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,459 Posts
could be your stock springs......they tend to bottom out.....when you change them for new progressives.....it'll get better!

·
Candy Black Cherry = FAST
5,116 Posts
lol.....those stock fork springs stink......thats all it is....go with the progressives for one of your upgrades...one day :)...and cut the stock spacers in there down to about 3 inches and you'll see a huge difference ;)

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
could be your stock springs......they tend to bottom out.....when you change them for new progressives.....it'll get better!
lol.....those stock fork springs stink......thats all it is....go with the progressives for one of your upgrades...one day :)...and cut the stock spacers in there down to about 3 inches and you'll see a huge difference ;)
+1...Front suspension bottoming out...

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2009 does not make any sounds like you describe, and we got some pretty rough roads here.

Maybe it's a warranty issue the dealer can resolve.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
My 2009 does not make any sounds like you describe, and we got some pretty rough roads here.

Maybe it's a warranty issue the dealer can resolve.
Give it time, mine didn't start making any noise either til just a couple of months ago, just gonna have to bite the bullet & install some decent springs!

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
It must be the heavy tourer logo on the front fender!:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys i guess ill get some springs on order.. Where is the best place to buy them from..

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I picked this up at vtx1300tips.htm

[FONT=&quot]********************************************************************
WOBBLE AND FRONT END CLUNK

Well folks, it’s been awhile since I posted here. I think this is important and everyone should take heed. I began experiencing wobble at around 11,000 miles and it kept getting worse as I reached 16,000. The front tire also began to “seek” its track in hard high speed turns, requiring a disturbing amount of steering force to control the oscillation of the handlebars. Today I removed the forks top triple-tree and found both the steering stem adjusting nut and jam nut easily turned as a unit by hand. YIKES!!! I released the jam nut by disengaging the two lock washer tangs that held it in place and removed it from the steering stem. I then tightened the adjusting nut until the effort to turn the forks was close to the specs in the Honda Service Manual. I then re-installed the lock washer and tighten the jam nut until the adjusting nut would not back off. The lock washer tangs were then bent back in to re-engage the jam nut. What a difference that made. Many of you remember my complaints about a clunking noise when I ran over bumps and road buckles. It’s now apparently gone and Ol’ Phideaux is driving like a Ferrari again. I urge everyone that has wobble, clunking or a combination of both to check the tightness of the stem adjusting nut. It could save you a chunk of grief.
Phideaux
[/FONT]

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had similar noise on mine a few years ago and found that my headlight housing was loose and ratling when I went over a bump. A few quick turns and its never made any noises since. Check yours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the clunk also
I removed the forks top triple-tree and found both the steering stem adjusting nut and jam nut easily turned as a unit by hand. This is what I would check first. Then get the springs, it's money well spent

·
Registered
801 Posts
I feel that I need to throw my $.02 in at this point. If you find that the top adjuster nut is loose enough to cause a clunking noise at your steering stem and the OEM steering neck bearings are still original (haven't been replaced with the All-Balls tapered-roller bearings), then it's time to seriously consider doing the replacement.

When the bearings wear sufficiently for there to be "looseness" at the adjuster nut, chances are that the ball bearings have begun to seriously wear away. By "tightening" the top adjustment nut, all you will succeed in doing is to (very) temporarily take the slop out of the steering neck adjustment.

However, since the OEM bearings and grease are garbage to begin with, all you're really going to do is increase the rate of bearing failure. It's time to seriously replace the OEM bearings with the upgraded All-Balls replacement units.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts