Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

First let me say that this forum is outstanding! The information you have shared here is second to none. Thank you!!

One question for you: Which pipes are the absolute LOUDEST??

I'm in love with the cobra speedster longs, but I've heard they aren't exceptionally loud. If there is a set of pipes out there that are ear-splitting loud and look decent, I'd be for checking them out. Yes, I'm one of "those" guys (sorry). I just can't seem to get enough noise...

Thanks much,
FERD

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
the samson line is rather loud without the baffles in. i used some cobra speedster baffles over the weekend at the beach. i did not like them in my pipes. i prefer to run free flow or with short baffles (which i was given a set by another poster here i liked them and the set of baffles he purchased).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ive also heard the the Samsons and the HK 3" are pretty loud . My Sideburners arent that loud at all .:icon_chuc

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Loudest I've heard (rode behind) on a 1300 were Samson Long Cannons w/o baffles. :choppersm

Biddy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The longs are pretty throaty with the baffles out, which I like. I'm looking for something that'll make your teeth hurt.

How do small diameter drag pipes compare to long pipes?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well I can tell you that i have cobra Speedster Shorts and when you remove the baffles they will make your teeth hurt, but there is too much loss of back pressure and the bike suffers.

·
Registered
734 Posts
NO Doubt! Those would have to be loud... but I'm not filled with confidence when the website talks about the ones that fit an 1800 mentioning that "re-jetting the carbs" is recommended.

The SB's sounded a little louder to me than bubs did, but both sounded good. ;)

Biddy
My SB's just on over this past weekend have already caused my across the street neighbor to come talk with me. (as luck has it, he did notice the new volume, he likes the sound, came to pay a compliment of all things.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right RcBigAl, The loss of back pressure would make the carb tuning a little more involved...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My SB's just on over this past weekend have already caused my across the street neighbor to come talk with me. (as luck has it, he did notice the new volume, he likes the sound, came to pay a compliment of all things.)
Awwright, now there's a cool neighbor. :cheers:

Biddy

·
Registered
170 Posts
Blue Wolfs VTX;

I got the Cobra Dragsters, They seem to be loud enough, Without being ugly. I tryed wrapping more damping cloth around the baffles, Now, Thats the sound I was looking for. It has been a long summer following the ideas of the other members, But in the long run, I would dare to say, That red Honda that just passed you was Brother Kee...:choppersm

·
Registered
348 Posts
I made my own straight pipes and they are loud as $h!t! I love them! so I would say any straight pipes would be good!

·
Registered
348 Posts
no problem... went to pepboys and got some car exhaust tips ($9 each) exhaust reducers ($5 each) so that it can have a good snug fit between the exhaust tips and the stock pipes. and a ribbid gun + ribids ($10) to ribbid it together... take off the chrome covers from the stock pipes. take the reducers and cut some off the ends so it's not so long. (make sure you measure the diameter of the stock pipes vs the diameter of the tips to get the right size reducer. the part that goes on the stock pipe goes on the outside, the part that goes on the tips go on the inside) drill a couple of holes around and through the reducer and about 1 and 1/2 inches from the tip of the stock pipe. make sure they match. ribbid the reducer and pipe together through the holes you drilled. then do the same with the exhaust tips. the main thing about ribbiding the tips is to make sure that your stock chrome covers hide any drilling or ribbiding you do. gives it a better, cleaner, more professional look. and there it is!!!!! kermitdog's $30 straight pipe exhaust mod! patent pending! j/k! this is just 1 of many mods I've done to my bike!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
no problem... went to pepboys and got some car exhaust tips ($9 each) exhaust reducers ($5 each) so that it can have a good snug fit between the exhaust tips and the stock pipes. and a ribbid gun + ribids ($10) to ribbid it together... take off the chrome covers from the stock pipes. take the reducers and cut some off the ends so it's not so long. (make sure you measure the diameter of the stock pipes vs the diameter of the tips to get the right size reducer. the part that goes on the stock pipe goes on the outside, the part that goes on the tips go on the inside) drill a couple of holes around and through the reducer and about 1 and 1/2 inches from the tip of the stock pipe. make sure they match. ribbid the reducer and pipe together through the holes you drilled. then do the same with the exhaust tips. the main thing about ribbiding the tips is to make sure that your stock chrome covers hide any drilling or ribbiding you do. gives it a better, cleaner, more professional look. and there it is!!!!! kermitdog's $30 straight pipe exhaust mod! patent pending! j/k!
Thanks for the how to, great job on it! Now there's an excellent Cheap & Clever mod if I ever done saw one!!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Biddy

·
Desert Recluse
1,517 Posts
Gents,

First let me say that this forum is outstanding! The information you have shared here is second to none. Thank you!!

I'm in love with the cobra speedster longs, but I've heard they aren't exceptionally loud. If there is a set of pipes out there that are ear-splitting loud and look decent, I'd be for checking them out. Yes, I'm one of "those" guys (sorry). I just can't seem to get enough noise...

Thanks much,
FERD
FERD: First off, welcome aboard and Semper Fi.

Without a doubt the very BEST sounding pipes if you don't have to "please" a politically correct Ahole are the Rineharts... they are straight through drag pipes built/tuned/designed on a dyno while hooked up to a 1300 engine... that is the way Rinehart builds the NASCAR pipes and it is the way he builds ANY pipes... If you like the sound of "NASCAR" then you would like the sound of the Rineharts on a 1300... they are three stage headers.. yes, there are three different sized "pipes" in the system... this is what accomplishes the "tuning"... there are no baffles... there are no baffles "available" for them... this is not a "Pu$$y boy's" pipe.. you run what you brung :) -- They pull hard from the bottom end to the top, all the way... if you are familiar with Rinehart then you know why... he builds pipes for 85%+ of the NASCAR race cars (last time I checked)... there is a reason for that.

Anyway, they do "perform"... as for the "looks", hey I think a Glock looks good so don't ask me... but you can check them out on the pic of my bike.

(I could relate a story about a Gunnery Sergeant in 29 Palms the last time I cruised through there and his "thoughts".. just suffice it to say he said, "have a nice day sir").

OK, just thinking about it... the "sergeant's" eyes were "fixed" on that "package" going from side to side on the bike... I was wearing a tiger stripped camo jacket at the time and he just kept "staring"... does it really "look" like a sniper rifle?? Dunno.. here is what the bike looked like that day at the gas station.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

If you don't want to blow a ton of $$$ on the "loudest" pipes, you can always use this Cheap old school tunable method of improving your low and mid range power.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

I''ve used this old trick on several sets of straight / drag pipes over the years and it worked well without taking away much if any of the "loudness" you're after. Good luck with your choice! :)

Biddy

1 - 20 of 40 Posts