Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the threads, didn't really find anything that answered my question. The last few months I've had a loud off ticking noise. I've adjusted the valves 3 times in the last 6 months! I narrowed it down to the rear exhaust valve. Got it torn apart again so I can get to it. A .012 will go in snug but not over-tight. Do I want to tighten it up a little?? Do these bikes have lifters?? Bad one maybe? At my wits end! Bike runs strong, but the tick doesn't sound normal compared to the other valves. HELP!!

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
both exhaust valves on mine are louder...been like that since new, and has 32,000 miles. first time i adjusted the valves myself, i readjusted them 3 times thinking i didnt do them right because the exhaust were too loud in my "o.c.d." opinion. these engines arent quiet...sound like a singer sewing machine on nitrous :D. as long as yours doesnt sound like an elf banging around with a ball peen hammer, youre fine. ride on...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Knightrook! Decided to go ahead and tighten it up just a smidge, Can still get a ,012 gauge in. Got it all wrapped back up and no tick so far! was just a little concerned cause it was louder than normal I thought, but all is well now I hope! Thanks again!:mosh:

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
no problem. just make sure you dont get any of them too tight...thats more damaging than too loose. poorly seating valve is so much easier to remedy than a bent one. glad you fixed it though. :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts