Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about what happens to a 2002 VTX 1800s engine with only 7k original miles on it? It has not been ridden that much in the past 9 years and I am a little concerned and I do not know what I should look for when considering a bike of this age with so few miles on it or maybe I shouldn't be concerned.

I know that these bikes are monsters and are meant for racking up a lot of miles, but I am still in the market to purchase one and I just came across one that has been dropped, the gas tank has a dent in it and the front fender is scratched up pretty badly. The man who owned her passed away and gave it to his niece.
I don't mind the dent and scratches, I can get those fixed.

What are some of the reservations and considerations I should have about this VTX?

Thanks,
:cheers:

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
I think the worse could be rust and varnish inside the gas tank and fuel system if it wasn't treated before storage. Tires are probably showing some rot on the side walls. Replace those and all the fluids and you should well on you way. Might want to put some oil in the cylinders and turn the motor over by hand before trying to start it

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
It would help to see some pics of the damage and hear the asking price. Figure waht the repair ro the tank and fender will cost. Draining and repalcing all the fluids, tires and cleaning to fuel system and maybe a new tank should be factored in to the asking price to get a truer picture of the total price. Does it start and run the way it is? Not sure I'd buy a bike that doesn't run.

·
Registered
223 Posts
rust, fluids, and dry rottin' tires would be my concern.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, as a matter of fact it does run. They have taken it for a few short trips. They are asking $5500 but that is too high a price. I thought if I could get it for $4,000 it might be ok. NADA has it listed for $4095 low value which I consider it because of the damage.

I am not sure how to post pics here. The dent is about the size of a silver dollar maybe bigger and the front fender would have to be replaced, not because it is dented, but for aesthetics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Yes, as a matter of fact it does run. They have taken it for a few short trips. They are asking $5500 but that is too high a price. I thought if I could get it for $4,000 it might be ok. NADA has it listed for $4095 low value which I consider it because of the damage.

I am not sure how to post pics here. The dent is about the size of a silver dollar maybe bigger and the front fender would have to be replaced, not because it is dented, but for aesthetics.

Thanks.

Price a replacement tank and fender you are looking at over $1500 for them.

Here is a good bike for you and should be close enough.
$3800

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44654

I should also add it has alot of the needed items such as the Ultimate seat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Thanks!! I just called and we are talking about a deal. He has someone looking at it though, if he doesn't sell it, then it might be mine.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
As you can see, you can find 1800's in the $4k range that Aren't damaged and have some perks on them..

That black one is a hell of a deal, really.. Hell, just that Ultimate X Seat with backrest on it is $800 or so...

I would jump all over that bike in a heartbeat if I was in the market.

-Gonz

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
As you can see, you can find 1800's in the $4k range that Aren't damaged and have some perks on them..

That black one is a hell of a deal, really.. Hell, just that Ultimate X Seat with backrest on it is $800 or so...

I would jump all over that bike in a heartbeat if I was in the market.

-Gonz
Cool thing is it is one of the riders that rides with Biglry and he knows his stuff and directs them all on issues that come up.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
:hmm2:, normally i with Charley D and Gonzo 99 percent of the time, but with one 1800 having 45,000 miles and the other one having 7000 miles, im not so sure...i guess it depends on how bad is the tank and fender. My brother bought an identical bike last year, it had 5,000 miles only and was a 2002. He paid 5,000 for it and has been in love with the bike ever since. I guess it depends on how low the tank damaged bike can be bought for. :hmm2: Bry

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
:hmm2:, normally i with Charley D and Gonzo 99 percent of the time, but with one 1800 having 45,000 miles and the other one having 7000 miles, im not so sure...i guess it depends on how bad is the tank and fender. My brother bought an identical bike last year, it had 5,000 miles only and was a 2002. He paid 5,000 for it and has been in love with the bike ever since. I guess it depends on how low the tank damaged bike can be bought for. :hmm2: Bry
Bry by the time he fixed the tank and added a seat and fender the low miles bike is going to be close to $2500 more out of pocket and that isn't even doing the shocks and fork springs that the higher mile bike has.

45,000 is just broke in for a VTX 1800

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the one with 45k miles is only $3,800 and the damaged one they are asking $5,500. I could probably get them down to $4k maybe even lower now that I see what else is out there.

To my understanding these bikes are good for a minimum of 100k and go at least 150k maybe even 200k so 45k is not bad. Also, the bike with 45k is just beautiful. It has everything you could want on it.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Well, the one with 45k miles is only $3,800 and the damaged one they are asking $5,500. I could probably get them down to $4k maybe even lower now that I see what else is out there.

To my understanding these bikes are good for a minimum of 100k and go at least 150k maybe even 200k so 45k is not bad. Also, the bike with 45k is just beautiful. It has everything you could want on it.

I noticed it also had the forward controls and that is another $600 bill to put them on.

I would say a guy could buy that bike and put it back stock and only have $1000 in the bike after he sold all the extra goodies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I can only hope the guy seeing it won't buy it...but who wouldn't at this price? If you are in the market for a big cruiser, as I have been for the past month, you know a good deal when you see it...this is definitely as great one.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There's plenty of reasons why i usually agree with Charley D and Gonzo, and Charlie D just gave me a few more reasons. I hadnt thought about parting out the higher mileage bike, but that makes plenty of sense, or cents. Metric colt toys, yes, the vtx motors are pretty well known to be bulletproof and can surely go over 100,000 miles. I hereby change my mind just like any normal politician would :D Bry

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
There's plenty of reasons why i usually agree with Charley D and Gonzo, and Charlie D just gave me a few more reasons. I hadnt thought about parting out the higher mileage bike, but that makes plenty of sense, or cents. Metric colt toys, yes, the vtx motors are pretty well known to be bulletproof and can surely go over 100,000 miles. I hereby change my mind just like any normal politician would :D Bry
I am now laughing so hard my eyes are watering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:banghead: I can't catch a break...The bike is sold. Anyone else know of a great deal? I am beginning to think this might not be in the cards for me.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
:banghead: I can't catch a break...The bike is sold. Anyone else know of a great deal? I am beginning to think this might not be in the cards for me.

Well that sucks bike was only posted for sale on the 8th and sold on the 11th

PM Biglry and see if he knows of anyone thinking of selling.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
IMO I wouldn't think twice about an older bike with low miles vs one with more miles that's a few bucks less. It all comes down to it's condition, even if it hasn't been ridden for years if it's been stored indoors there's not much more than replacing the fluids & rubber parts that may be needed to be ready to ride.

Truth be told mine is an 06 and it still has less than 10K on it, and I'd bet you a paycheck it still runs better today than it did the day I rolled it off the showroom floor :D
My problem is I live in Michigan and both my toys (bike & TA) are warmer weather rides, but between working 70 hrs a week, spending some time with the wifey, cutting the grass yada yada there just isn't enough days of the week to rack up as many miles as I'd like to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts