Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I put Doug's air box on a few weeks ago with a FP kit. Main is 220, pilot 58, 4th position on the needle. Bike has been running great in the high rpm but in the low rpm it is hesitating. In fact I have been stalling the bike often when starting from a complete stop. I keep fiddling with the a/f mix being I have glen's perm. a/f adjust but cant seem to get it right. I'm at 2 turns out now. What am I missing? do I need to adjust the float? any help would be much apprecitated!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Hey guys,

I put Doug's air box on a few weeks ago with a FP kit. Main is 220, pilot 58, 4th position on the needle. Bike has been running great in the high rpm but in the low rpm it is hesitating. In fact I have been stalling the bike often when starting from a complete stop. I keep fiddling with the a/f mix being I have glen's perm. a/f adjust but cant seem to get it right. I'm at 2 turns out now. What am I missing? do I need to adjust the float? any help would be much apprecitated!

Thanks
We have to start somewhere and this may sound silly but I have to ask... do you have the idle to low? If it sounds like a Harley (or a car with a big cam) it is to low and will cause you problems with taking off from an idle. Gonzo has a Youtube video showing what 900 rpm's sounds like (sorry I don't have the link)

My CRS has been kicking in a lot lately but, have you tried the 215 main?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Agree with Doug - Idle set too low. May also turn the AF out a 1/4 turn. That sure is a fat (rich) main jet in there. I would start with the 210.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you blip the throttle, does it drop imediately to an idle? OR does it drop lower then come up to idle? OR does it drop above an idle then settle into an idle?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm running into a similar issue, albeit different circumstances, but didn't want to start a new thread for a similar topic.

Just completed the 600 mile valve adjustment on mine. As the OP mentioned, it is running great at higher rpm's but will bog at lower rpm's or when starting from a stop. Is there something I missed or possibly tweaked on accident while performing the service. The bike is completely stock.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Oh, and it's not bogging every time I stop either. I tried duplicating the problem in a parking lot but that didn't seem to work. It's almost as if it only does it when I've been cruising and then come to a normal stop.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Make sure your Idle RPM is set correctly.

This is the most common problem with issues of this nature. People set the idle's down to the Harley "Potatoe-potatoe-potatoe" level and our bikes are Not meant to idle that low (not to mention you're hurting the engine by starving it for oil at idle).

Properly Tuned 1300 @ 900rpm. RPM should be 900 +/- 100. Do Not go below 800. Oil starvation starts at that level.

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af122/Gonzo1970_bucket/Tuning/?action=view&current=tune002.mp4

(Every time I post this, it reminds me to get a video camera and re-do it - its a little crappy - taken with cell phone)

-Gonz

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
The quality of video should not be a factor, the sound of the idle speed is quite sufficient. This is exactly how a properly tuned 1300 should sound like @ idle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember seeing something on the board that shows what components (Jets, needle and postion or shims) and their affect on the range of RPM. Does anyone know where that can be located

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I remember seeing something on the board that shows what components (Jets, needle and postion or shims) and their affect on the range of RPM. Does anyone know where that can be located
This one? :D
The pilot jet is idle to 1500 rpm
the needle covers from 1500 to around 3500
the main is for wide open throttle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts