Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's super easy low $$$ mod that serves a dual purpose.

Purpose # 1. There are commercially available products made to help keep us riders from getting stuck at stoplights.

"Green Light Trigger" and "Red Light Changer" are 2 of them.

They are basically just a magnet that ya stick or strap on under your frame to 'help' the sensors imbedded in the road 'see' your bike.

Purpose #2. There are several other magnetic-based products commercially available that are designed to be attached to the outside of your oil filter to help catch the ferrous (iron) based particles circulating in your oil. They claim to be able to catch smaller particles than what your oil filter can,,,, (We've all seen magnetic drain plugs and magnets in auto transmission pans before, correct!?!)

"Filter-Mag" is one of the leaders in this field.

(NOTE: Do not remove or reposition any magnet placed on a filter after the vehicle is driven. Doing so may release any items previously trapped by the magnet back into your oil. Remove only when changing filter.)

OK then,,, IMHO, the 'Jury is still out' when it comes to the feasibility and cost/effectiveness of these items. I don't believe either one 'guarantees' you anything, but, if they do help some, perhaps they are worth a little of my time/$$$.

As both of these products are based on the affects of magnetism, one only needs to do a little research on magnets to realize there are tons of different shapes, sizes, and strengths of magnets available online for far less $$$.

I ended up choosing this particular magnet. 87 lbs of pull. Coated. N50 grade (N52 is the highest rating of rare earth magnets that I'm aware of.)

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_5&products_id=778

$7.49 each. There is a $20 minimum order so I got 3, and shipping was another 8 bucks.

Let me tell you, these things are kinda like 'Dominoes from HELL!!!!!" They come packaged with plastic spacers inbetween them for a reason! Get 2 of em stuck together, and you ain't simply gonna grab 'em and take them apart! :nope: :nope: :nope:

The wife decided she needed to 'play' with them,,,, got one too close to another,,, They slammed into each other with enough force to send fractured chips of magnets sailing all over the room! :)mad: :spank: :mad:)

Anywho, I've attached a pic of the magnet attached to the lower side of my oil filter. (Don't worry, it ain't gonna just fall off of there!)

If it helps out with some of the streetlights, and perhaps keeps a little bit of ferrous material out of my filter/engine, they might be worth the ~$10~ bucks each,,,

DISCLAIMER: Please read and understand all the complications and dangers that can occur with the improper use and/or handling of magnets. NOT responsible for damages to electronic items, pacemakers, hard drives, credit cards, or anything else that may be damaged by exposure to strong magnetic fields. NOT responsible for pinched fingers, toes, or any other body parts :)eek:) caught between magnets or any physical damage/loss of vision as a result of shattered bits of magnets flying through the air.

(They sure are fun to play with, though!! :D)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am a fan of the filter magnet, but locally, they have been replacing the red light loops with the light beam sensors above the stop lights. They work much better. Our city has an ordinance that states you can safely run a red light after waiting some time if the average observer can clearly make the determination the light has malfunctioned. I have a copy of the statute in my bike.

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts
I'm currently doing battle with a very stubborn traffic light. I tried a simple magnet and got ignored again. I attached one of these to the bottom of my bike. I'm gonna give try tomorrow morning. I'm thinking it will either trigger the light or pull the wire out of the asphalt. One does not detach one of these magnets by hand. Use tools.

2 inch Diameter x 0.5 inch Thick with 0.1875 inch hole, Rare Earth Neodymium Iron Boron NdFeB Disc Magnet N42, Nickel-Copper-Nickel triple layer coated for durability and excellent protection against corrosion, Approximate pulling force: 110 lbs.

Geezer

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Jerry!

I haven't went riding since I installed it this afternoon.
Traffic here in Houston is pretty 'fast and furious', and you can't always time your arrival at the intersection without getting run over!

Gonna have to give this one some time and even then, it may not be easy to tell if it made a huge difference,,, I have one light about 15 miles from here that doesn't like me,,,, it would be the best one to test on,,,

·
Need more road time!!
1,308 Posts
Please post how these do end up working on the lights. I have stubborn light that will not recognize my "x". The most frustrating part is its only 2 minutes away from work, with no other way around:banghead:

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently doing battle with a very stubborn traffic light. I tried a simple magnet and got ignored again.

I was never really aware of how many different types of magnets there were until I looked around a bit online,,, It's impossible to tell what type/strength of magnet are in the 'made for a bike' light changing 'kits',,,

I attached one of these to the bottom of my bike. I'm gonna give try tomorrow morning. I'm thinking it will either trigger the light or pull the wire out of the asphalt.

One does not detach one of these magnets by hand. Use tools.

2 inch Diameter x 0.5 inch Thick with 0.1875 inch hole, Rare Earth Neodymium Iron Boron NdFeB Disc Magnet N42, Nickel-Copper-Nickel triple layer coated for durability and excellent protection against corrosion, Approximate pulling force: 110 lbs.

Geezer

That's the spirit!!! No more Mr Nice guy!!! :nope: :D Heck, if nothing else, hopefully it will pick up all the nails and stuff before they find a way to our back tires!!!

Where do you plan on placing yours?

One other item I read about 'helpful ways to trigger lights' is in regards to how you position your bike in the 'coils' There are about 3 different types or configurations of coils used in the roads. #1 is just single, big loop in your lane. #2 is 2 loops side by side in your lane, and #3 looks like somebody playing with an etch-a-sketch!

One tip was to place your bike just inside the loop,,, along the edge. Another was to slightly lean your bike towards the center of the lane if tip #1 didn't work,,,

·
1,437 Posts
Well, mine did not work. 110 lbs pull magnet, stuck to the bottom of the right floorboard bracket on a 2006 1800R, did not trigger the stubborn traffic light.

I sat and watched several cages trip the light but three attempts by me and the traffic light just kept looking at me with that red eyeball. It ignored me.

Now I'm gonna have to find some help getting that thing off my bike.

Beeger

·
Registered
328 Posts
Have you all tried contacting your local city office that is responsible for stop lights? I have had great results with a kind polite phone call to their office.

·
GOT PITBULL?
1,919 Posts
I am a fan of the filter magnet, but locally, they have been replacing the red light loops with the light beam sensors above the stop lights. They work much better. Our city has an ordinance that states you can safely run a red light after waiting some time if the average observer can clearly make the determination the light has malfunctioned. I have a copy of the statute in my bike.

Did anyone else see this? Is this common...it could explain why there are so many red light running a-holes in my area.

·
1,437 Posts
Did anyone else see this? Is this common...it could explain why there are so many red light running a-holes in my area.
That's the law in Florida. You have to stop and yield to traffic having a green light. But, if you wait a reasonable time, the light has not cycled, and the right of way is clear, you can 'proceed with caution.'

There are several lights in my local commuting area that malfunction regularly. They are famous. Folks deal with it and go on their way.

Geezer

·
GOT PITBULL?
1,919 Posts
How come i've taken 2 different CDL courses and i've never heard this...but as ALR says, just call the local city officials and they'll correct it.

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Scotrod I just ordered the regular one for the lights and then I got two that are 2" circles and 1/2" thick with 110 lbs of pull to put on the bottom of my oil filter.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Scotrod I just ordered the regular one for the lights and then I got two that are 2" circles and 1/2" thick with 110 lbs of pull to put on the bottom of my oil filter.
Now I have to hide all the metal in the garage like the trator and power tools. :bleh:

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
Now I have to hide all the metal in the garage like the trator and power tools. :bleh:
You don't have to worry just as I like to sleep in a tent while I am on the road the bike is used to sleeping under her cover outside as well.:D

I have wondered if it will pull small metal stuff off the road that I ride over. I have a magnet that I roll around a job site that really works great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts