Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am having a quite large issue with my wife’s 2007 VTX1300. A couple weeks ago we got it out of the storage unit filled the tank with gas and then parked it in the garage waiting for some better weather to take it out again. Saturday we went to go for a ride and realized that almost the entire tank of gas is now inside the engine. I tried opening the oil dipstick and gas came squirting out so I am certain the entire engine is filled with gas. Does anyone have any ideas about what may have happened?? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you taken the air filter cover off to see if the filter is wet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds to me like the float in the carb stuck. While the bike was sitting, was the fuel lever left in the "on" or "reserve" position? If so, and the carb float was stuck "calling for fuel", the bowl will overfill and run into the cylinder, then into the oil sump. You could turn the fuel off, drain/replace oil and filter, add seafoam, and run. This may get the float working properly. Another option is to completely remove the carb, clean in a sonic cleaner, and replace. If I was in the carb, Id replace a few seals as well, if it hasent been done since it was put together.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
469 Posts
There would have to be a problem with the petcock diaphragm or petcock itself for the fuel to flow to carburetor, since it works off vacuum. The float could be stuck also, as mentioned above

·
Super Moderator
10,028 Posts
The problem you describe requires two failures but neither is rare. Those failures are the two already mentioned: petcock failure and carb float valve. Both are fairly easy fixes. Do not ride the bike or even start it. Drain the oil/gas. Remove air filter to dry out. Fix the problem. Refill with cheap oil. Run a couple of miles. Drain the cheap oil, and replace with your high quality oil of preference. Ride it like you stole it.

Reactions: FELIX
1 - 7 of 7 Posts