Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with money being tight, i'm trying to figure out a way to make myself more visible when riding after dark. Considering car wiring, each directional light has a lead for the directional and a lead for running light, matched with a dual filament bulb. Is it possible to simply replace the single element sockets with dual element sockets and tap in the running light wire? If i am missing something, please advise, i know i also need red lenses. Thanks for the help! Bry :D

ps I dont need the turn signals to flash when the brake light flashes

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a cool idea, Gonzo, but can you tell me if double element sockets can be put into our stock vtx directionals or is it more trouble than its worth?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
That's a cool idea, Gonzo, but can you tell me if double element sockets can be put into our stock vtx directionals or is it more trouble than its worth?
Alot of work....The inside of the VTX turn signals aren't made exactly like a car socket like you can get at Autozone...If you're gonna do all that, you might be better off buying a set of FRONT VTX turn signals/running lights and making those work in the rear instead...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh, im beginning to see now. Like Honda made them proprietary so they cant be adapted easily. But arent the front directionals the same as the rears? They were back when i was wrenching, altho thats about 30 years ago, lol.. Are the fronts really different? :drunk:

·
33,457 Posts
ahhh, im beginning to see now. Like Honda made them proprietary so they cant be adapted easily. But arent the front directionals the same as the rears? They were back when i was wrenching, altho thats about 30 years ago, lol.. Are the fronts really different? :drunk:
Well yeah, they're already setup internally as run/turns...Socket and wiring already there...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
excellent, now i know what i have to do , i wont have the brake light effect, but i will have the tail lights, so to speak and the directionals which will add to my visibility at night. Thanks Bill Bass :D

Bry :mosh:

·
33,457 Posts
excellent, now i know what i have to do , i wont have the brake light effect, but i will have the tail lights, so to speak and the directionals which will add to my visibility at night. Thanks Bill Bass :D

Bry :mosh:
Thinking about this, you could probably swap the internals from a pair of fronts to the rears...Would have to fish the wiring through the rubber mount, but not that bad of a job..I added some LED's '39 Ford style run/turns to my hardbags, and used the original rubber mounts to hide the wiring, and added a piece of all thread rod as another saddlebag mount...So I've become very familiar with the way the rear turn signals are put together...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, sounds like a simple mod, the wiring would be simple too. It should turn out to be a lot cheaper then buying something from kuryakin, i will see if i can find some front turn signals. Thanks as always for your help, its merry christmas time. :cheers:
Bry:D

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I have one of the tail lights with the turns in it

Then I had a set of LED turns (small ones) in place of the factory ones.

Last summer I wanted running and more brake so I turned the LED lights into dual function lights.

takes 1 resistor and 2 diodes for each light cost about $3 for the parts. (for control for turns) 1 set if brake and running.

Now I have running and the turns turn to brake when I apply them.

I think they could also be set to be running and turns by just adding another set of resistor and diodes.

Right now one set controls both lights and I could split off instead of brake I could run them from a turn wire, it would have one lead from the tail light with the diode and resister in line to dim to half voltage then the turn lead with diode for full voltage.

Resistors cut the voltage
Diodes keep from back feeding the line.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Charlie D, that gives me some more ideas, i will gladly let you know if i come up with a setup that is simple and works.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas, stay well.

Bry

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Thanks Charlie D, that gives me some more ideas, i will gladly let you know if i come up with a setup that is simple and works.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas, stay well.

Bry

you should be able to do it simple just get the LED bulb for your stockers and red lens then 2 sets of the units I posted. you can use clear lens if you use the red led bulb

all you need to add to the wiring is a pig tail from the plug in of the tail light behind the right side cover

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
try getting in touch with one_fair_shot. He changed out his front turns for another setup. He was kind enough to send me his front turn signal housings so he should still have the sockets.
Just changing out the sockets and tieing into your running power from you break light would be the way to go.

·
Registered
757 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Bryanova,

I like to work with LEDs. If you can send me pictures and dimensions of the tail light diameter, I will play around with a couple of ideas and send them to you free.(I have beetle bags and don't have the rear lights your have) I need to experiment with the Amber lenses, but I know there is an LED lights on the market that you can use red under amber and still see the red for the running light. I believe rear running lights are required to be red.

this is what I would do:

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/taillight if you can get the dimensions for the inner like the cut out he shows.

the only change I would make is that I would tap into the license plate light wire under the back of the fender instead of running a wire forward.

I just did a LED mod on my beetle bags http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=53011. The final pics are toward the end of the thread.

Let me know.

Doug

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
try getting in touch with one_fair_shot. He changed out his front turns for another setup. He was kind enough to send me his front turn signal housings so he should still have the sockets.
Just changing out the sockets and tieing into your running power from you break light would be the way to go.
I'd be more than happy to send them out but after sending the housings out to you I disposed of the sockets not seeing a need to keep them. :( Sorry!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd be more than happy to send them out but after sending the housings out to you I disposed of the sockets not seeing a need to keep them. :( Sorry!
:eek: hehe, its ok, i save all sorts of things, and then when i need something, i realize i threw it out the week before, and .....there it is! Gone :(

If anyone else has two no good front directionals, please pm me. thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone!
Bry :choppersm

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes, you can replace the 1156 with 1157 pig tail, and tap into the running light. I did it on mine. I removed the 1156 sockets and put in new 1157 sockets which you can get from Autozone/Advance or any other auto parts store.

·
Zoom Zoom...
662 Posts
Be careful with the 1156-1157 swap, the 1156 is a single element bulb and has the "lock in" posts set equal as per height, and is only designed to go in an 1156 socket. An 1157 is a duel element bulb, and has the "lock in" post set at different heights, and is designed to only go in an 1157 socket. You can put an 1156 in where an 1157 came out (but will cause problems with wiring and short circuits)(Don’t ask me how I know this) but an 1157 will not go into an 1156 socket. Plus, an 1156 socket base (the part that holds the wire terminals) is round and has no orientation points, the 1157 socket base is round but has a tab on it to make sure the wires hit the right filaments. Remember, an 1157 bulb has a dim and a bright filament. On the front running lights and turns, the electrical system turns off the dim filament to allow only the bright filament to flash. If you’re going to run 1157 bulbs in the rear, you really need to run 1157 sockets. Or just buy the run-turn-tail controller which will allow you to run single filament bulbs as tails and turns.

Hope this helps

:choppersm

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
Bry:

I'll check the garage in the morning and pm you if I still have them. If I do, I'll send them to you. I changed out both front and rear stockers, but I haven't kept all the stuff I've removed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts