Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...finally am going to get started on the hitch and trailer. I have been waiting for the new garage to be finished...and it finally is!!! Move the X in to her new home! Here are a few pics....I'll be updating this thread as the build progresses. Don't expect daily updates as I have limited time to work on it, but I will update as it progresses.

Here is the outline of the project.

HITCH - Denray visible hitch , out of Canada. Final cost with shipping and customs charges, with US$ conversion to CAN$ on the date of purchase: $308.00

Trailer - Northern Tools (because Harbor Freight pulled all of theirs to send back to the manufacturer). This kit included the lights and wiring, whereas the HF one did not. But it was also $50 more. Final cost of kit $257 - $50 = coupon by email - $207

To do list:
1 Install Hitch
2. Determine exactly which car top carrier I will be using. (still debating on that) When I get it, it will be sanded and painted to match the bike. Don't know if black or silver. No...chroming is out of the question...
3. Get 20" added to the Tow bar.
4. Sand all RED parts (just will slow the bike down to much :bleh: and paint black. (changed my mind on this. Will keep red unless I can't stand it..LOL)
5. Wire bike for trailer harness.
6. Wire Trailer with lights and harness.
7. Find deckplate and install trailer deck.
8. Install carrier
9. Take to weigh station and get official weight.
10. DMV: Title and registration/Tag
11. Tow it all the time to get into practice for my summer trip.

Here are a few pics...
1. X's new home
2. X's new home.
3. Trailer kit (3 boxes) and Hitch
4. Hitch out of the box.
5. Hitch unwrapped
6. Contents of the hitch box. Hitch, instructions and mounting hardware (u-bolts and nuts)

Upon inspection of the hit, it seems to be of sturdy quality and the chroming is done well. Can't wait to get it on.

More to come.....

· Registered
1,248 Posts
I will follw this thread

· Registered
97 Posts
I am also thinking how nuts some addons cost for bikes. I just built a hitch for my 1300c other than sending it in for chrome I literally have 14 dollars worth of steel into it!! I will however have more dough into my trailer it is all aluminum. Toys are not cheap!!!

· Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be watching this thread as well. But man, $308 for that hitch just kills me. I know stuff for bikes is over-priced, but that is amazing.

That was the best price that I could find...$30 in customs fees, and ...If I remember...something around $50 for shipping... The hitch itself is $265 CAN. http://www.motorcycle-hitch.com/Honda.html

Is your trailer for toeing behind your bike or for hauling it?
If toeing behind , what are you using for a body?
Toby

It's for towing behind the bike. I am using a Northern Tools 40x48 trailer kit, with 12" wheels. And I will be mounting a car top carrier on it. Here is just one of the sites that have ideas and instructions. http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm

· Registered
20 Posts
Could I offer a simple suggestion for your trailer spare tire? Mount it underneath on top of the axle, this will help with your trailer tongue weight since that should only be about 10% of your total weight loaded. Also a good place if you're planning on having a cooler across the front. Good luck, will be watching .. oh, don't whine about the cost of the hitch .. look how much they want for one to fit an 1800.

· Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying anything about you buying the hitch, just the overall price they can get for them.

No prob...I understood what you were saying!! I was in shock as well...but after searching the net for a while...and getting input from others, that was the best deal...had to bite the bullet...didn't think that zip ties and rope would do the trick!! :hmm2:

Could I offer a simple suggestion for your trailer spare tire? Mount it underneath on top of the axle, this will help with your trailer tongue weight since that should only be about 10% of your total weight loaded. Also a good place if you're planning on having a cooler across the front. Good luck, will be watching .. oh, don't whine about the cost of the hitch .. look how much they want for one to fit an 1800.
Good idea Jerry...Have to see how much clearance I have once it's together. Yes, I am planning on a cooler on the tow bar...going though long stretches of hot arid areas...need to stay hydrated (even in the colder areas). Oh...I'm not whining about the cost of the hitch (at least not anymore....:icon_eek:) It's one of those "cost of doing business" items...got to get it. Yeah...the 1800 guys are screwed a bit more on the price. Doesn't seem quite right...but there it is...

· Registered
1,248 Posts
I am using a Northern Tools 40x48 trailer kit, with 12" wheels. And I will be mounting a car top carrier on it. Here is just one of the sites that have ideas and instructions. http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm
I will be using a gutted out 1950's frigadair refrigaratorfor the body on mine. So I will be watching this build.

· Kansas VTX Riders
95 Posts
Klaus, I have the same setup-trailer kit with cartop carrier bolted on. The hitch I built myself. The trailer will make the bike much more versatile and you get to ride even more!!! I built a hitch for the wife's shadow and now she even takes the trailer to the grocery store sometimes.

· Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Klaus, I have the same setup-trailer kit with cartop carrier bolted on. The hitch I built myself. The trailer will make the bike much more versatile and you get to ride even more!!! I built a hitch for the wife's shadow and now she even takes the trailer to the grocery store sometimes.

Which carrier did you use? You have any pics that you can post? Always looking for ideas!!!

I will be using a gutted out 1950's frigadair refrigaratorfor the body on mine. So I will be watching this build.
Sounds a bit heavy...???? How much does that weigh?

· Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Carrier was Sears. I don't know a model #. I bought the trailer already put together. I can pick up the trailer with one hand but it pull very well. Pics are on my album.
I'm looking at the one from Sears for about $145....I don't see any pics in your gallery???? Can you give me a link to your album please?
Thanks!

· Registered
1,885 Posts
will be watching....i've been itching to build one because they are cool...but dont have a use for one right now.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
Sounds a bit heavy...???? How much does that weigh?
actual weight not sure, there is a local guy who makes and sells them for about a grand. with it gutted and every thing removed except the door and body I do not see it being super heavy. It is about 28 inchs wide and like 25 inches deep about 5 foot tall or so. Once they are gutted there is nothing to it just a sheet metal body.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.