Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how the modifications to stock seats are... I've gotten some input on Ultimate seats, Mustangs, and a lot of good things about Mean City Cycles. Has anybody got a stock seat modified there... if so how is it :choppersm????

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
I was wondering how the modifications to stock seats are... I've gotten some input on Ultimate seats, Mustangs, and a lot of good things about Mean City Cycles. Has anybody got a stock seat modified there... if so how is it :choppersm????
Ultimate makes a very good seat, on my "X". Mean City does a good job from what has been posted on the Cafe.

Check:

Exceptional work, done seats for guys here at the Cafe. Have one on the wife's 750.

·
Anybody seen my brain?
1,133 Posts
I've had my seat done by Mean City. I'm happy with it. My wife is happy with her part of it. (Which may be more important) I would suggest talking to Mean City and Robert Doerr. And if at all possible sitting on as many different seats as possible because what's good for one person may not be so great for someone else. I know it's not always possible. I didn't try other seats out before going with Mean City. I went with their reputation and price.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've had my seat done by Mean City. I'm happy with it. My wife is happy with her part of it. (Which may be more important) I would suggest talking to Mean City and Robert Doerr. And if at all possible sitting on as many different seats as possible because what's good for one person may not be so great for someone else. I know it's not always possible. I didn't try other seats out before going with Mean City. I went with their reputation and price.
Just happy with it, or wished you would've tried something different? I am also wondering what to go with.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
+1...What he said...I, too, currently have seats modded by MMC on the bike....no complaints with quality or price...

I am currently waiting on my custom seats being done by Bob Doerr....

Reactions: SubDude

·
Anybody seen my brain?
1,133 Posts
Just happy with it, or wished you would've tried something different? I am also wondering what to go with.
Since I had my seat redone at Mean City I've sat on a Mustang (not rode on just sat on) and I liked my seat better. I've also sat on an Ultimate. It might have been better but not enough better that I would have paid the money they want for it. But those are my opinions.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Love my MCC seat. The more popular aftermarket seats I'm sure are great. I've sat and ridden on an Ultimate and it was nice. But to get one that really "fits" you can't beat having one customized. Riding position is so important it really takes a custom fit to get it right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just got my seat and back rest returned from MCC. I had the memory foam and a new cover put on. I started with the idea of just doing the memory foam but each time I talked to them before I made my appointment I kept adding to what I wanted. So my new cover has the carbon fiber vinyl on the sides and a grained vinyl on top.

a while after I committed I started having thoughts/concerns that I had spent too much. My MC is a 04 and $300 is not a small amount of $ when you consider the short riding season we have here in IL.

The day the box arrived I opened it up and saw what looked like a perfectly new and beautiful seat. I really like the slight contrast between these materials. I like subtle and this is perfect. I have now ridden two short trips and put on about 100 miles.

My final review................

Absolutely worth it!

Thanks MCC!

Bill Wright

·
Registered
56 Posts
The first mod I did to my 1300R was the seat. I looked at replacing with an after market seat, but it was hard for me to think about spending $600 - $700 on my seat when there were other things I needed. So I did the Mean City mod on my seat.
With my stock seat I was sitting on the gas tank and I could go a whole 45 minutes before my butt started to hurt. I had Mean City move me back a couple of inches and I can go a couple of hours before I notice my butt.
I called got my appointment, sent my seat in and got it back in the time frame I expected. So I am a satisfied customer.

Reactions: SubDude

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just had my seat done by MCC and got it back last week. Great customer service, prompt delivery/shipping and great price. I used to start feeling some butt burn after about 45 minutes to an hour. I rode for about 90 minutes w/o stopping on one part of our ride this past weekend and never felt a thing. The seat felt great and I could have ridden a lot longer with ease. I like the look and riding position of the stock seat which is why I went this route. I tried a couple of the other aftermarket seats that a lot of guys have on here, and they ended up changing my riding position and feel on the bike too much. MCC can definitely alter your riding position too if that's what you desire. I definitely recommend MCC.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A few years ago I rode to his shop and he put memory foam in my seat - charged me $90. My appointement, and what I wanted done was set.... After getting there, He tried to get me to pay $20+ more by adding another very thin layer of non-memory foam... I was offended and declined - especially after reading many threads here of how f'n wonderful it was to get just the one layer of memory foam....

Mine sucked.

End of story.

I hope you get better results.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If I have them do the $45 reshaping, will it affect the passenger seat? I also have a backrest on my bike now, will it affect that as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Lot of good reviews from MCC customers. what do you guys suggest (memory foam, gel, reg foam)? Also where is MCC located?

Interceptor, did it have any difference??

·
Registered
94 Posts
:cool:soooo .... you have to send your stock seat off. can the passager seat be widened /modded and what is the turn around time
Yes, you ship your seat out to them and they work your seat and they ship it back. I bought a second stock seat off ebay for like $75 so that I'd have a spare and could continue riding while my seat was being modded. I'll probably turn around and sell it back on ebay now that I have my modded one back and love it. The work is done in 1 day but with shipping times, probably takes about a week total that you'd be w/o your seat. You have to get the seat to them at least a day before your scheduled appointment. I would call them and talk to them. Their site is meancitycycles.com. They're very helpful and can walk you through the whole process and let you know what they can do to your seat (pretty much whatever you want).

Lot of good reviews from MCC customers. what do you guys suggest (memory foam, gel, reg foam)? Also where is MCC located?

Interceptor, did it have any difference??
I just went with the memory foam and I'm totally happy with it. I would call them though and they'll be able to explain all the differences and recommend a solution based on your size/weight, what you're trying to accomplish (staying in same position, or moving/altering your riding position, etc.). They are located in NC.

·
aka The Rev
1,854 Posts
Well please allow me to share my experience. A couple of years ago I got tired of the stock seat, and had MCC do the double decker on my seat. I bought a used slightly abused Ultimate driver's seat off ebay to use while my seat was being done. After getting my seat back from MCC, I used it for about a year. I then had the opportunity to buy a used Wide Touring Mustang set. The Mustang was the studded version without driver's backrest. I used it for about a year, and then traded with someone for the Sport Touring Mustang set with driver's backrest non-studded. I thought I wanted the backrest.

Well I decided I didn't like the backrest, and since a needed a little extra cash a couple of months ago, I sold it. I have since went back to my MCC seat.

Now with that background I will give you my assesment. The MCC seat is a decent upgrade from stock. By the way I had the double decker mod done. However, I can only go about 30 minutes before I start shifting in the seat trying to keep from getting serious butt burn. Since I am a seasoned long distance rider, with some shifting I can stay on the MCC seat for an hour.

Now I did not like the way the Ultimate fit me. It felt like I was sitting on top of the bike.

As for the Mustand Wide Touring, well let's just say that in the year that I used it I went on 3 different trip of over 1500 miles. I would sit in the saddle for as much as 2 hours at a time and only have the slightest discomfort. I was actually more comfortable after 2 hours in the Mustang then I am after 30 minutes in the MCC.

Now let me end this post by saying that this is all my experience and is not applicable to anyone else's possible experience. The guys at MCC were great to work with and are great members of this site. Also alot of it comes down to what type of riding you are going to be doing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I bought my bike, it had the stock brick on it. I went to Robert Doerr in Florida. He said he could embroider a bit on mine and do it up right. I bought an 1800c seat and shipped it to him. turns out I bought the wrong year seat. he happened to have the correct year seat and made me one to fit my bike with the embroidery. Now, this was quite expensive ($400 total including seat, shipping, and Robert's work). However, he did what I wanted with regard to the seat. his embroidery work is very good (whoever does it for him) and the seat looks the way I wanted it to look. I haven't checked yet to see how much he was able to lower me and move me back (I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs. Wanted to sit back and down as much as possible.) but the seat is comfortable as can be. he did good work. I'm pleased and would send him more work, despite the prices MCC can offer. BTW, Doerr and Alan (at MCC) are friends. Alan actually told Robert the seat I had sent him would not fit; he saved my project). Either guy is stand up and will take care of you.

My $.02

-dave

·
WildBikers.com Owner
2,340 Posts
Mean City Cycles has an OUTSTANDING rep and is a great step up form the stock. Definetly give them a call. Dont expect a MUSTANG comfort but a much better upgrade tailored to what you want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts