Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something going on with my bike and I am not much of a mechanic to know whats wrong. I can do the basics and follow instructions but I know nothing when it comes to diagnosing a problem. Im hoping someone here can help me.

I had a Kuryakyn hypercharger on my VTX1300 but I didnt like the look so I put on a Kuryakyn Velociraptor. I followed the installation instructions that came with the Velociraptor. I have 3 inch hardKrome straight pipes. The bike used to backfire with the hypercharger when I was decelerating. After the air intake switch, the bike was spitting and sputtering and still backfiring and it would lurch no matter what I was doing but it idles fine. It ran really rough and it had a lot of trouble accelerating to highway speeds. I took my bike in to have it rejetted and a full tuneup (not sure of everything they did). They had to put in the largest jets they had. It no longer backfires and will get to highway speeds, but it still not running right.

It idles fine in neutral but it is still lurching on me when I hit the road, unless I am slowly and steadily increasing speed. If I try to maintain a speed and not accelerate, or if I hit the throttle hard to accelerate quickly or let off of the throttle, it lurches and sputters almost like it is running out of gas. It almost feels like I am randomly pulling the clutch and releasing it while I am hitting the throttle. It is not backfiring and hardly even cackles anymore but it feels like it is going to throw me from the bike because it is so jerky.

Any ideas on whats going on? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :banghead:

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
First off, you'll have to open carb & see exactly what"they" did. Probably used incorrect needle, and clip in the wrong position, and I'll bet they never touched the A/F screw. OPen it up & tell us what you can see. Probably have to double check the vac hoses as well.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The Hypercharger would have had a vacuum line running to it. When you removed the hyper did you plug or cap off the unused vacuum line?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did cap off the extra vacuum line when I took it off of the hypercharger. It was the largest of the three hoses.

I dont know the difference between the stock needle and the dynojet needle. I had the dynojet needle installed years ago... and I assume the shop actually put it in, otherwise someone else is riding around with my needle. By "clip" do you mean the small washer/spacer that goes on the needle? If so, the velociraptor came with its own clip and I installed that onto the needle myself since it was so simple. I coudnt get to the rear bolts on the carb, otherwise I would have tried doing the whole thing myself.

Im at work at the moment so cant pull the intake off right now.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
There is three lines going to my Hypercharger. The smallest is the vacuum line and connects to the front vacuum module of the hyper. The next in size connects from the rear of the hyper to the carb and is a carb vent. The largest is the crankcase vent and it connects from the carb throat housing to the top of the front cylinder. BY NO MEANS DO YOU WANT TO CAP THE CRANKCASE VENT. Pressure will build and the seal around the shifter shaft will blow out dumping oil everywhere.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The carb and petcock fuel valve are also vacuum connected. Find the vacuum line connected to the lefthand (front of bike) side of the fuel petcock valve and follow it.

It should go to a 'Tee' fitting. Then just check where all the other connections go.

The crankcase vent needs to be open to the air, either connected to the new air cleaner or a small push in filter installed in the end of the hose. The carb vent hose also need to be open to the air.

Well, that explains why I dumped oil everywhere before I had it rejetted...

So I need to uncap the line I have capped now, then I need to figure out which line I need to cap and which one goes to the intake.

These are the instructions I followed...
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/installguides/KY-9442.pdf

Hose 'A' in the picture is the carb vent, and as instructed is fine.

Hose 'B' in the picture is part of the PAIR valve anti-smog system. Have you done the PAIR valve removal mod?

Hose 'C' in the picture is the crankcase vent hose. Step #12 in the instruction has you connecting this hose to the plastic 90 degree elbow pictured in picture #6.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the line that I capped is actually the line that I need to hook to the elbow in Step 12? It is the largest line and looks too big to hook to the elbow.

I just ran outside and I uncapped the crankcase vent. I traced the line that I have hooked to the air intake and found that it is not hooked to anything. I have to figure out where I need to connect it. The back line is still left uncapped and dangling free, it is the smallest line (Line A).

Line A in the pic and what I think is Line A on my bike is still left hanging free. It looks to be the smallest line. I am assuming THIS is the line I need to cap on my bike but I am not for certain.

What looks like Line C on my bike is hooked to the front of my new intake but it is not connected to anything on the other end. I need to figure out where is hooks to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ran outside and I uncapped the crankcase vent. I traced the line that I have hooked to the air intake and found that it is not hooked to anything. I have to figure out where I need to connect it. The back line is still left uncapped and dangling free.

Line A in the pic and what I think is Line A on my bike is still left hanging free. It looks to be the smallest line. I am assuming THIS is the line I need to cap on my bike but I am not for certain.

What looks like Line C on my bike is hooked to the front of my new intake but it is not connected to anything on the other end. I need to figure out where is hooks to.

The line that I capped needs to be hooked to the intake? Its the largest line and looks too big to fit correclty on the intake.

I dont think that I have you done the PAIR valve removal mod.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this thing on?

Sorry, I am having troubles posting.

I just ran outside and I uncapped the crankcase vent. I traced the line that I have hooked to the air intake and found that it is not hooked to anything. I have to figure out where I need to connect it. The back line is still left uncapped and dangling free.

The line that I capped needs to be hooked to the intake? Its the largest line and looks too big to fit correctly on the intake.

I have not done the PAIR valve removal mod

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Is this thing on?

Sorry, I am having troubles posting.

The line that I capped needs to be hooked to the intake? Its the largest line and looks too big to fit correctly on the intake.
Line 'A' is the carb vent. It should be connected to a fitting on the back side of the carb. DO NOT CAP IT.

Line 'B' in the picture is the PAIR valve hose and can be capped if present. You may want to do the PAIR valve removal at some point. I would recommend it.

Line 'C' in the picture should be connected to the 90 degree elbow on the intake and run up to the crankcase vent fitting on the top of the front cylinder.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Understood, the problem is that I connected the hoses according to the size of the hoses. Bad move on my part. Visually it looks like B and C are switched. So to be sure I need to trace the hoses back to the source and make sure the one that attaches to the crankcase is the one that I hook to the intake.

Line A looks to be the same in the pic as it is on my bike. It is the smallest line and is on the back side of the carb. I will leave it where it is and not cap it.

The remaining line I will cap. Do you have a link to help me with the PAIR valve removal?

I took my bike around the block after I uncapped the line I had capped. It seemed to be running much better. I will know for sure on my trip home this evening.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Understood, the problem is that I connected the hoses according to the size of the hoses. Bad move on my part. Visually it looks like B and C are switched. So to be sure I need to trace the hoses back to the source and make sure the one that attaches to the crankcase is the one that I hook to the intake.

Line A looks to be the same in the pic as it is on my bike. It is the smallest line and is on the back side of the carb. I will leave it where it is and not cap it.

The remaining line I will cap. Do you have a link to help me with the PAIR valve removal?

I took my bike around the block after I uncapped the line I had capped. It seemed to be running much better. I will know for sure on my trip home this evening.
Good glad to hear you moving in the right direction.

You may have said, but I may have missed it. But were the vacuum lines ok? The old hyper would have had a vacuum line running to the module in the front of it.

Here is a link to the PAIR valve removal from bareass choppers tech pages. You will need to purchase the block-off plates. I'll try and find a link for them. You can do a search here and find loads of info as well.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/vtx-1300-desmog/

The desmog helps with the popping and backfires on decel. But right now it's more important to get you running better first. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your help is greatly appreciated! I cant thank you enough. Im glad you knew about blowing the seal around the shifter shaft. I would hate to have to bring my bike back to the shop for something stupid that I did.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By vacuum lines are you still talking about lines A,B, and C from the pics? Sorry, Im not much of a mechanic so all I know right now is that my line B is not connected to anything and I need to cap it off and do the PAIR valve removal. Im learning though and not affraid to get my hands dirty... I can build you a house but dont know what I am doing when it comes to engines.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
By vacuum lines are you still talking about lines A,B, and C from the pics? Sorry, Im not much of a mechanic so all I know right now is that my line B is not connected to anything and I need to cap it off and do the PAIR valve removal. Im learning though and not affraid to get my hands dirty... I can build you a house but dont know what I am doing when it comes to engines.
No, the vacuum line that I'm talking about is not used or pictured in those instructions. It would have been disconnected from the hypercharger, if the hypercharger was installed properly. It would have been used to operate the chrome flapper on the from of the hypercharger.

The links that I quoted on the PAIR valve removal were simply the first that I found and I would recommend doing a little reading before starting the PAIR valve removal. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im not sure if the vacuum lines are hooked up properly. I will have to look and see if there is anything disconnected. I dont recall another line being hooked to the hypercharger and I had someone else install it so who knows if it was done right or not. Right now I am not having much faith in letting other people do the work, so I am trying to plow through it on my own... hopefully I will do better.

After looking at your link for the PAIR valve removal, I now remember my friend handing me the PAIR valve and the larger hoses attached to it. They have been floating around my garage for the past few years. However I do not think he removed the Reed Valves or the Vacuum Hose. Im going to have to pull off my tank and see what the heck is under there and complete the job. Man did I open up a can of worms or what?!?!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Im not sure if the vacuum lines are hooked up properly. I will have to look and see if there is anything disconnected. I dont recall another line being hooked to the hypercharger and I had someone else install it so who knows if it was done right or not. Right now I am not having much faith in letting other people do the work, so I am trying to plow through it on my own... hopefully I will do better.

After looking at your link for the PAIR valve removal, I now remember my friend handing me the PAIR valve and the larger hoses attached to it. They have been floating around my garage for the past few years. However I do not think he removed the Reed Valves or the Vacuum Hose. Im going to have to pull off my tank and see what the heck is under there and complete the job. Man did I open up a can of worms or what?!?!
No it's not a can of worms, it's you ride and you'll ride with a lot more confidence knowing that such-n-such job was done correctly, because with a little help from us here and a little work of your own you'll have that ride running great.

As for the vacuum lines. If the PAIR valve is gone, there should be a line from the intake manifold to a T-fitting and from the T-fitting to the petcock fuel valve and the right-hand (front of bike) side of the carb. Look for open ended vacuum lines or other T-fittings with open connections. A vacuum issue can cause many problems. So if the lines look cracked or split when you inspect them, consider replacing them asap.

If the PAIR valve was removed and the fittings left in place its not a big issue. Some have done just that and simply plugged the fittings at the top of each cylinder. The block-off plates make for a more finished looking job as they clean up the top of the cylinder area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cant wait until I get it running the way it should be. Its had troubles ever since I put the HardKrome pipes on it and it got worse with the hypercharger. I got embarrassed every time it backfired...and it did it a lot. It ran well enough to keep me from taking it to the shop but this year I decided that I will do things right. Im finally able to afford some nice accessories so I want it running as good as it looks. Again I really appreciate the advice.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts