Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just had a breakdown while out on a ride. Rode for about 60 miles, no problem. Stopped for petrol, started the bike and before I got off the forecourt it started missing really bad to the point that I couldn't pull away. After a couple of minutes it settled down but totally stopped yards down the road. All the electrics were off so I checked the easiest thing first (main fuse) and this is it! Luckily I had a spare fuse and everything is back to normal (for now).
What do you guys think could have caused the fuse to go like this?
Thanks
(The yellow one is just for reference 馃榿)

Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
Wow thats crazy! Maybe it just got too hot and when it popped somehow still managed a connection which made it worse and melted it more until it was too bad to continue? Glad you had a backup!

Registered
RUST on the connectors. or connectors are loose to the fuse.

easy.

if I had my way...
one main fuse for engine management
second main fuse for all other systems ( lights, etc )

then all the other fuses for the bike.

LONG ago. Honda's only had ONE FUSE for the complete bike...
as did most other companies.

Registered
View attachment 239371

Here it is split. The connection is still good! I've tested it with a multi meter and it is fine. :unsure:
I have been an advocate for a long time now, of replacing ALL of your fuses with the EZ-ID kind that light up when they pop, making tracing a problem soooo much easier. Only a little more cost than standard fuses, but WORTH IT!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Something similar happened late last year when I lost all electrics. I thought might have been the alarm so I disconnected that but it didn't help. Then checked the main fuse but it was fine. But, after putting the fuse back in and replacing the fuse cover the power came back! I didn't melt the fuse that time though.
Do you think it might be worth replacing the starter relay and cover to renew all the connectors? I can get a 3rd party one from ebay to try.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
(Update) Tried to fit the new relay but the terminals were the wrong way round so it's gone back and ordered a different one. Seeing as we've had a couple of nice days I risked taking the bike for a spin. Day 1 (30ish miles) miles it ran OK. Day 2 went a bit further and noticed the odometer flicker, just a couple of times. Came straight home, just in case, and checked the fuse and its starting to melt again! Hopefully the new relay will sort it out!
Stay tuned.

Registered
(Update) Tried to fit the new relay but the terminals were the wrong way round so it's gone back and ordered a different one. Seeing as we've had a couple of nice days I risked taking the bike for a spin. Day 1 (30ish miles) miles it ran OK. Day 2 went a bit further and noticed the odometer flicker, just a couple of times. Came straight home, just in case, and checked the fuse and its starting to melt again! Hopefully the new relay will sort it out!
Stay tuned.
Sounds like something drawing to much power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts