Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to get seats modified/rebuilt for wife and I. I know there are some quality shops that can do the job. The ones that seem to pop up freguently here are mean city and Robert Doerr. I am not sure whether to go with a memory foam or gel pad insert. Anybody have any insight as to which may be the best way to go? Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a 1800f3 and the seats are the bad thing about the bike,i bought the PRO PAD gel pads for the front and back and they are awesome,i can ride all day now,before my butt was numb within 50 miles,wife loves her seat now too.absolute nessesity.there way cheaper than a new seat 150.00 for both

·
Registered
438 Posts
Memory Foam or Gel Pad

Wow, not five minutes ago I went to Amazon and ordered a "Memory Foam" pillow from L.L. Bean. ($15) I plan to install it under the cover of the driver's seat on my 1300 S. Give me some time and I'll let you know what I think. For $15 you can't go too wrong.

Badjuan

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
I have the gel pads cut in by Robert at A2z and love them, so does the wife on her passenger seat. Never tried memory foam.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Funny how things goes in circles....I have had the pleasure of setting on both the gel and foam. Like Bear said, it comes down to personal preference. I also perfer the gel so this morning I ordered 2 gel pads for my Mustang Seats due to the pain in the a$$ on trips longer than 6 hours....here is what the cost me and they are Pro Pad Gels....

4137797Pro Pad Gel Seat Pad - Medium - 14in. W x 10in. L 6100
$72.744137798Pro Pad Gel Seat Pad - Large - 16in. W x 12in. L 6101
$81.87 Subtotal: $154.61 Tax: $0.00 Shipping Cost: $0.00 Grand Total: $154.61

·
Registered
780 Posts
I do not like gel at all. It is not comfortable over a long haul. Memory foam is ok but you need 2 inch of it as it compresses. Personally I like shearling wool about 1" thick.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Sheepskin (real) pelt on a Mustang seat and I'm don't even notice my @$$ anymore. Plus I no longer sweat just in my butt when it's hot and it's really nice and toasty when it's cold!

Recently rode from 0430 till 2200 up to VA and back...ALL slow winding mountain roads both ways and was really comfy.

Jeff, who had the Mustang seat only, was giving out about mid-day. Wouldn't even get off his bike.

Got mine "butt pad" from Alaska Leather. They even sell them WITH gel pads: http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-Gel-Pads/Categories

Nice folks. VERY helpful and FAST delivery.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Every time I see those covers I get misty, I know it came from a sheep(hmmmmm tasty) but it's still looks like one of my distant cousins.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Every time I see those covers I get misty, I know it came from a sheep(hmmmmm tasty) but it's still looks like one of my distant cousins.
There you go, reminicing about the Planet of the Apes again... :nono:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really appreciate all the comments. Think I'll have gel inserts put in the seats and see if I like them. If not, will have memory foam put in.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
There you go, reminicing about the Planet of the Apes again... :nono:
Apes my Bear Butt!!!!LOL

Really appreciate all the comments. Think I'll have gel inserts put in the seats and see if I like them. If not, will have memory foam put in.
Go with the foam first, if you don't like it you won't be out much money. In fact just cut a pattern and add the gel to it for a super seat.

·
Official Fuddy Duddy
1,757 Posts
I put a gel pad inside the drivers Mustang seat and it heats up real good in 90 degree days....too hot to sit on if not covered over.

Lava Butt ride.....:stirpot:

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
I put a gel pad inside the drivers Mustang seat and it heats up real good in 90 degree days....too hot to sit on if not covered over.

Lava Butt ride.....:stirpot:
I got one of these and it works like a charm!

http://www.cycleshade.com/

Takes about 18-20 seconds to put on and bout 9 seconds to take down now that I know what I'm doing.

Also, you can get the graphic you want for free. I got mine to keep the birds from crapping on it at work. But with the 100 degree temps it's nice not having to mess with a hot AND tired ass. :nope:

·
Registered
446 Posts
i tried a pro pad, butt buffer, and now have a ride easy pad on
top of my ultimate seat. so far its the best of the 3. wife has
the pro pad on top of the ultimate rear[seat that is].--irv

·
Registered
621 Posts
For those of you with add-on seat pads, aren't you worried somebody will relieve you of it while the bike is parked somewhere?

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
From my experience I have found that up to 150-170 lbs the memory foam works well. If over that either go double memory foam or gel. When gel is put into a seat it's very different than it being on top.
Gel pads raise ya up, so if your short or you do not want to sit on the bike instead of in the seat gel pads are not the way to go. Especially with something like a mustang seat. That is my only complaint with the mustang seats.
I have a couple of sheep covers and do like them. They keep the seat cool and will not heat up but when it rains they hold close to 1 gallon of water. Cleans off easy.
I have a pad form my corbin seat and a full length for the goldwing. I'm really short so they put me on the edge of being to tall for me. The corbin on my X is good and I do like it.
It is a personal decision.
Allen has done a couple of my seat and they are just plain wonderful.

For me memory foam with sheep cover. Does me good for long rides.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ultimate Seat

i tried a pro pad, butt buffer, and now have a ride easy pad on
top of my ultimate seat. so far its the best of the 3. wife has
the pro pad on top of the ultimate rear[seat that is].--irv
Hi Irv, I was reading your post about seat pads and was surprised to see that you still needed more padding even with your ultimate seat. I was considering purchasing a solo ultimate seat for more comfortable long distance rides, but now i'm wondering if the added expense is worth it?? :confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts