Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Memphis Shades Batwing and shield yesterday. I LOVE it but I have to crouch down for the wind to go right over my head so I would like to trade my 9" gradient black shield for a 12" gradient black shield. If no one responds soon then I'll buy a shield and sell this one.

Jeremy:choppersm

·
Registered
664 Posts
You might want to make sure that you have everything adjusted as far as it will go before making the decision that you need a taller shield. I had to adjust mine a couple of times even with the 12" shield to get the coverage i was looking for.

You can adjust the faring itself on the brackets that bolt to it, make sure the faring is pushed up in the slots as far as it will go and then you can adjust the top bushing that the trigger lock goes onto. Pull that bushing as far out in the slot as it will go before tightening it down. This will cause the wind to pop up more over your head instead of just flowwing off the shield into your forehead....ask me how i know....i lost a pair of riding glasses trying to see if the wind flow changed with faster speeds...It didn't!!!

You may still feel the need for a taller shield even after these adjustments, but if you haven't already made sure these are at thier maximum, it might help you if nothing else in the short term until you can get a 12" shield.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap, one of us installed wrong because on mine, the adjustable bushings on the forks are the ones on the bottom. I wonder if this is my problem? Let me see if I can find those instructions...

·
Registered
664 Posts
My Mistake!!!!

You have it installed correctly...i posted before double checking my set up. The adjustable bushing is on the bottom of the brackets mounted to the forks. With this being the case the bushing needs to be adjusted as close to the forks as you can get it to "tilt" the top of the shield away from the rider.

Sorry i didn't catch your post last night or i would have answered you sooner.

·
Can't Re-Member
72 Posts
How tall are you people? I am just about to pull the trigger on one of these and was trying to decide on the shield.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 10" Shield on my fairing and I'm 6'1".

No buffetting.. look over the top of it normally.. Have to lean down a little to look thru it if it rains..

Got mine here:

http://fastaire.com/Windshields.html

$29 + $9 S&H ($38 total)

-Gonz
I can't be positive but I don't think any of those will fit the MS Batwing.

-sent from mobile device

·
citement
2,236 Posts
I'm 5'8" and generally use the 9" shield on my batwing and just look over the top. The 12" gives me great protection but I'm looking through the shield and my 7" is short, even for me.

·
BONIFIED
13 Posts
I'm 5'11" on a good day and bought my 12" with the fairing and it seemed just right no buffeting at all. That was after an almost catastrophic loose allen screw and a stop on the side of I95. I may have just gotten lucky the second time around. And I was riding around 170 miles a day for a commute then.

·
Can't Re-Member
72 Posts
GOt mine today...$349 COMPLETE from bikerhaven.net. 9" shield. I guess I'll wait for the snow to stop fallin and mabe sober up a bit before I head out and try it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts