Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help. i feel i have some mechanical skills but this is killing me.

where/how does this bracket mount?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah for the upper mount. I'm just not seeing where it goes. It just started raining so I can't go out and take a pic. Bikes under a cover.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Memphis shades fats, 9" cutout, 17" tall. Bought it here but don't remember who from. It was months ago and I'm just getting around to installing it. It's the mounting hardware that requires an Allen key, not the quick detach one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
it goes under the upper bridge - held in place by the same bolt(s) that hold the cable guides in place.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Been on Memphis site, apparently, they don't list instr for the older non-trigger release type hardware

it goes under the upper bridge - held in place by the same bolt(s) that hold the cable guides in place.
:cheers:Nice work, DuaneS!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Been on Memphis site, apparently, they don't list instr for the older non-trigger release type hardware

Been there, done that - have two complete sets of that hardware, along with a bunch of extra parts & pieces...
I even have an unopened set of those original 'non-trigger release' mounts stashed away along with a new, never mounted MS 21" Memphis Fats shield...
just some miscellaneous extras I keep around...
and I'm starting to wonder about the logic behind that, and my wife has been questioning it since I bought this bike... :eek:

·
Joker pi$$in off the prof
196 Posts

Call or email them with what you have and what you need. They will respond quickly and do everything they can to help. Memphis shades is an excellent company with above excellent customer service. If they have an old set of instructions they will get you a copy. I could not imagine they wouldn't have a copy somewhere.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's for a C. I have S.

Got it hooked up but have clearance issues now. Have 3" headlight extension but need 2" more it looks like. And i jacked up the headlight extension bracket cause it was too tight between the forks and lower mounting bracket...

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's for a C. I have S.

Got it hooked up but have clearance issues now. Have 3" headlight extension but need 2" more it looks like. And i jacked up the headlight extension bracket cause it was too tight between the forks and lower mounting bracket...

You are correct, and the one the 1300 R & S is the MEM9977, which they don't appear to have instructions for any longer.
Also, from what I've seen, you won't easily get a headlight extension AND that windshield to work together. All of the extensions I've seen so far are just a piece of flat plate and as such - raise the headlight housing up as it extends it forward - some worse than others - depending on how thick the plate is.

I have a 3" headlight extension that's only 3/16" thick and there STILL isn't enough room for clearance between the headlight housing and the windshield.
If or when I can find a nice Heavy Duty vice or sheet metal break, I may attempt to bend my headlight extension to make it all work together, but until then it's wrapped up and stored...

One other option - cut the windshield opening a tad larger to allow the headlight housing to fit under it...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought the glensgarage 3" extension but dont think the 4" would make it fit anyway. I even mounted the light bar under the extension for added room. It looks like with some persuasion, it may fit but but i may just call it a loss and scrap the idea of a windshield.

The windshield opening fits fine. Its right behind the driving lights thats where the fitment issue is.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought the glensgarage 3" extension but dont think the 4" would make it fit anyway. I even mounted the light bar under the extension for added room. It looks like with some persuasion, it may fit but but i may just call it a loss and scrap the idea of a windshield.

The windshield opening fits fine. Its right behind the driving lights thats where the fitment issue is.
Got Pictures??
and now that I think about it - it may have been the Hondaline Bvld. windshield I was attempting to install with that headlight extension on there..:hmm2::hmm2:
May have to take another look at that..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No pics. Its a wash. It dont fit, im calling it a loss. I ran out of patience as well. Oh well.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
OK - the bracket you are holding goes under side of the top tree on the right side the two holes open hole mounts under the cable guided using the guide bolts. the part with the Allen will fit around the front fork. It's mounts flush with the bottom of the top tree and goes down and around the front of the right fork. Do not tighten anything down until you have everything mounted. Then snug the windshield first then the brackets then loosen the windshield and re tighten it. The Allen bolt points to the outside.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Which or whose driving lights do you have??
Have you thought about building a new mount for those. Lots of people have made nice looking, very functional light bars. A really simple set would be to use a couple pieces of flat-bar. A light at one end, the other end bolted in place where your signal light bar attaches... Then angle the bar forward enough to clean the windshield. Just be sure to use something heavy enough it won't vibrate to shake. a short piece of angle, heavy aluminum, or spend a few bucks and use 3/16" Stainless :)
Just a thought...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts