Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry but could use help, Ive been looking for the past few weeks for a new rear tire on my 2004 1300c. Ive read prob close to 200 reviews on this site and others about which tire people like the best!! first off i know i know darkside will save you cash and really give it that fat look but i would rather go with an mc tire. again sorry i know this has been a rather popular question on this site but really didnt get a solid answer i feel. read about a 180-70-15 being close to a 200 but better bc of deeper tread depth, and that a 200 will pinch the rim and how pretty much anything is better than the stock dunnies!!! my question being ----if i dont mind spending the money on a mc tire and want the fattest look on my bike the metzeler me 880 xxl 200-70-15 is the one right? like ive said ive read alot af posts and only a small few had issues with rubbing and that was mainly due to aftermarket blinkers or tail lights. so i guess another questions is will it fit? i have all winter to make up my mind but in my heart of hearts id like to get the 200 unless i get info that says otherwise. thanks in advance and know that the people on this site are really here to help,

thanks again, enjoy your holidays and be well
Matt NJ:choppersm

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
If you REALLY have your heart set on a 200, go with the 1800 rear wheel...It's wider than the 1300, and will allow the 200 tire to look it's best..The 1300 wheel pinches it in to the point of looking no wider than a 180...Making the extra $$ you spent for that tire a waste...

·
33,457 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I asked the same question a few months ago and had the same responses. The rim squeezes the tire where the 30mm difference is not noticable. I choose to stay with 170 because I did not want to "squeeze" a 200 on a rim made for a 170. I am sure you have read plenty on going to the darkside and imho that is the only way you will be able to get a fat tire on with out a large investment or modifications. Besides they have cookies :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i found an 1800 rim and has a brand new dunny on it already( not crazy about the dunny but its still a new tire) the guy said he just took it off to do the fat tire 240 kit and that the tire has 100 miles on it an the rim only about 3000 miles on it, he said that the deal did the work so other than what he has (rim and tire) is there anything else i should ask for, not sure if the dealer would have taken anything important that i may need to mount it on my 1300, he said its like new straight and that the bearings were still good, am i forgetting anything? thanks guy for ur help

·
33,457 Posts
ok so i found an 1800 rim and has a brand new dunny on it already( not crazy about the dunny but its still a new tire) the guy said he just took it off to do the fat tire 240 kit and that the tire has 100 miles on it an the rim only about 3000 miles on it, he said that the deal did the work so other than what he has (rim and tire) is there anything else i should ask for, not sure if the dealer would have taken anything important that i may need to mount it on my 1300, he said its like new straight and that the bearings were still good, am i forgetting anything? thanks guy for ur help
Gonna need a modded (redrilled) 1300 brake rotor to fit the 1800 wheel...Can't remember who does those here...:hmm2:

·
Registered
989 Posts
TO THE OP.

Man, just put the 200 on the stock wheel and be done with it. If thats what you wanna go with then more power to you.

BTW, there was also a memeber who put an AVON VENOM 230/60/15. This was on a C with the stock rim and I thought it looked baddass!!

·
WildBikers.com Owner
2,340 Posts
Here is a Post I put together for the 200 Mod using the 1800 Wheel.

http://forums.midatlanticxriders.com/index.php?topic=326.0

There are a few Pics to show you the difference between the 2 tires which is pretty significant. I also and many others have pictures in their galleries. (Look for "My Photo Gallery" on each members Profile).

I personally feel this is the Only way to go and you can get the setup probably for under 500 Total including Tire if you shop around!

The Change over is as easy as pie too! Good Luck on your decision!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts