Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
ive only had my 1800c for a week or so but i was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions.

1: have you ever managed to completly fill the tank?

2: when does your reseve light come on, and how many miles is there in the reserve?

my light came on at 100 miles did another 13 miles filled it up but showed i still had 4ltrs left in the tank.

im confused so HELP!.......... :)

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
1800 N here but it should be the same... My bike may have a bigger tank than a C model, not sure.. The specs for the N tank capacity is 20.06 litres (5.30 gallons)

As I always fill the bike while it's on it's sidestand, it technically doesn't fill up completely, but I have put 4.5 gallons it in at times, so that is about 3 or 4 litre's left in it, I suppose...

Depending on riding conditions, 150 miles before the light comes on is no problem at all, sometimes even 175 miles prior the reserve light starting to come on..

I have never ridden it completely out when the reserve light is on, but I would guess you could go 20 miles without a problem, but I wouldn't go much over that, as the bike may be quite heavy to push down the side of the road..

Hope this helps...

Spoiler

:patriot:

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Not sure about the light being faulty, but someone else will chime in about that possibility I think..

I do know a guy up in West Virginia that used to get poor mileage, but he had a very large ex-girlfriend at the time. She was a real tire popper...
Cheers... :cheers:

Spoiler

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have an 07 1800 and will do around 150 before the light comes on ! ( that will be normal driving ) ! I usely get 4 to 4.1 gals. in the bike then. Thata leave a gal. in the tank. So with the math thata be mid 30's and I have gotton as low milage as mid 20's . ( can you say zooom ) I think your 03 has the fuel pump in the tank unlike the later ones so the amount of fuel you can get in it will be less !

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got an 02 1800r and my light comes on around the 100 mile mark as well. It took me a while to get use to that fact Comming from an 06 800cc suzuki m50 where the light on that one came on around 110 to 115 gal. On my x when the light comes on I usually end up filling it to about 4.2 to 4.5 gallons. It's got 24k miles on it and probably in the next few weeks I'm going to change out the plugs and wires, check valve adjustments and do the pair valve mod and maybe throw a k and n filter in the box then check my milage after and see if this monster does better on fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got an 02 1800r and my light comes on around the 100 mile mark as well. It took me a while to get use to that fact Comming from an 06 800cc suzuki m50 where the light on that one came on around 110 to 115 gal. On my x when the light comes on I usually end up filling it to about 4.2 to 4.5 gallons. It's got 24k miles on it and probably in the next few weeks I'm going to change out the plugs and wires, check valve adjustments and do the pair valve mod and maybe throw a k and n filter in the box then check my milage after and see if this monster does better on fuel.
yea mines got 23000 on the clock but just under gone a full service perhaps ill try changing the filter and plugs and see wot happens

cheers fella

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 03 1800C, my light comes on at about 110. I always fill it with the side stand down. I think it would hold more if I leveled it, but don't like to spill any. I don't worry about it. It still gets better milage than my Jeep Grand Cher...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2007 1800R. Everything is stock. I fill the tank with the bike straight up and down (not on the side stand). My light goes on at about 160 miles and normally always get about 36MPG. I did check once to see how much extra gas you can get putting the bike straight up and not on the side stand. I was able to get about 1/2 a gallon more in the tank.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
2006C3 - 4.8 gallon tank (18.169977 Liters)

1) Average 41+ mpg
2) Fuel Light comes on in normal driving about 136 miles
Fuel light comes on at about 125 when I am driving hard - 80 mph on highway and accelerating hard ( playtime )​
3) Have gone 160+ miles 3 or so times on a tank​

Have done 50+ mpg when riding with the wife. She takes it real easy and mileage really goes up...

Have never filled the tank with the bike upright. Haven't done it because that is not the way I normally do it. Just fill it to just above the neck of the tank opening while it is on the stand.

1st •> :choppersm2nd •> •> :choppersm3rd •> •> •>:choppersm4th •> •> •> •> :choppersm Gone •> •> •> •> •> _____ :choppersm​

1800 Mods / Accessories​
•• National Cycle Switchblade 2up Windshield, National Cycle Switchblade Chrome Lowers •• Clocks4bikes Clock-Thermometer •• Big Bike Parts/Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover, Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Paladin Highway bar •• Cobra Luggage Rack, Sissy bar & Tribal Insert, Drive Shaft Cover •• Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen SaddleStow Sissy Bar Deluxe Bag •• Willie & Max Windshield bag •• VTXExhaust.com 12" Short •• VTX Master Cylinder covers •• WhyPush "X" Air Box, K&N Filter •• Cycle House side covers •• Biglry & Bones Fuel Management •• Coyote Gas Cap hinge •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips & Throttle Boss, SwingWing Foot Pegs, Dually offset pegs, License Plate Mount for VX 1800C, License Plate frame, Texas Inspection Sticker plate •• Hondaline Chrome Light Bar for 1800C •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator/eCaddy Accessory Mount •• Cardo Intercom Scala Q2 & G4 •• iPod •• Avon Cobra 200 -130 tires & Dyna Beads •• Tsukayu Strong bags/EasyBrackets •• Ultimate Bigboy driver seat with backrest and passenger seat •• Rivco Tachometer for 1800 C, Rivco 6" risers, Rivco Passenger boards/forward adaptors •• Big Bike Parts Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• Gremlin Bell •• Signal Minder ••* Xena XX14 Motorcycle Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Tweaked Scotrod Tool Bag mod, Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn, Progressive shocks….

750 Mods / Accessories​
Memphis Shades Fats 21” Gradient Black Windshield • Memphis Shades Quick Release Mounting Kit • Memphis Shades Lowers-Black / Mounting Kit •• Cobra Light Bar • Freeway Bar • Sissy bar • Plain Insert • Luggage Rack • Honda OEM Driver Foot Pegs VTX 1800C3 model •• Lazy Rider Small Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen Cruiser Large Tool Bag • Shock Cutaway Saddlebags •• Vance and Hines Cruzer Dual Exhaust •• WhyPush “Tribal Flame” Air Box / K&N Filter •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips • Kuryakyn Throttle Boss •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Avon Venom 180 - 90/90 tires •• Robert Doerr Custom Seat Mod with graphic •• ButtyBuddy auxillary seat •• Clocks4bikes Clock • Clocks4bikes Thermometer •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator •• Phat Riser III for 750 Spirit •• Big Bike Parts Drive Shaft Cover • Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim • Kisan Signal Minder • Kuryakyn Carburetor Jet Kit •• Evoline Wayer Helmet •• Cardo Intercom Scala G4 Powerset-Q2 Multiset • Gremlin Bell • ToolKit • Xena XX-6 Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn….

:patriot:..........• Blessed to have been born in Texas •..........:patriot:
• Blessed to have been raised in Texas •
• Blessed to Live in Texas •
• If things continue as they are going - Hopefully I will be Blessed to see Texas as a Sovereign Nation again before I pass •
• Blessed I will be buried in Texas •

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to me 2008 VTX1800T here...

only put a couple tanks thru it so far but the light starts flickering around 130 miles and is on solid by 135 or so. I can then pump in about 4.2 gal (side stand) so that has me around 32mpg. I'm not brave enough to push the low fuel cause I don't want to push the pig either. :icon_eek:

David

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I've got an 1800 C too. I usually fill mine up to the neck by sitting on the bike and holding it level when filling up. Light comes on around 135.

·
Registered
15 Posts
m p g

dont worry about the m p g,, best ive got so far is 105 before the light comes on ,,but thats like driving like me dad ,, and thats no fun ,,,i give it a bit of stick , and 75 to 85 is about right when the light comes on ,you get used to it after a while,,its so much fun on full throttle,seen 120mph and still had some left,,best bit of fun so far was getting off the ferry at the hook ,,with the v h pipes just had to do it ,, was like a sherman tank coming down the ramp,,and thats what i like about the bike it makes me smile every time i get on it,im going to do the par valve when the weather gets a bit warmer allready got the plates :cheers:

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
I really measure my milage in FPG instead of MPG.

That is FUN PER GALLON.

The only real concern I have for MPG is that if there is a drastic change in the MPG performance and efficiency it is an indicator of some kind of problem. I guess a small concern, as has been stated, I need to know somewhere close to the MPG so I am not pushin' and puffin' instead riding and smiling.

I didn't buy my "X" as a money saver. If I had I would have had a very rude awakening. The cost of modding and dressing this "toy" plus the cost of tires kinda puts it out of the realm of any resemblance to an economy vehicle.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
just want to welcome our cousins from the other side of the pond, Treasure and Yam. You probably wont be able to make any meet and greets or tech sessions, but you can definitely learn a lot about the upkeep and maintainance for your X on this VTX Cafe.
Ride to live and Live to ride :D
Bry:choppersm

ps, my reserve is about 110 miles, and thats with the baby X

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Also note that typically your bike will get better mileage as the engine breaks in, if its brand new with low miles give it a while and see if the mileage improves...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Bassdude, i really think that the petcock on my tank isnt working the way it should and thats why i start with the hesitating and stalling anywhere around 100 to 110 miles. Plugs arent sooty or fouled either, and i use glens perma a/f tool. I think its time to empty the tank, yank off the petcock and take a good look at it. \
Bry:hmm2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dont worry about the m p g,, best ive got so far is 105 before the light comes on ,,but thats like driving like me dad ,, and thats no fun ,,,i give it a bit of stick , and 75 to 85 is about right when the light comes on ,you get used to it after a while,,its so much fun on full throttle,seen 120mph and still had some left,,best bit of fun so far was getting off the ferry at the hook ,,with the v h pipes just had to do it ,, was like a sherman tank coming down the ramp,,and thats what i like about the bike it makes me smile every time i get on it,im going to do the par valve when the weather gets a bit warmer allready got the plates :cheers:
yea i know wot you mean its new to me at the mo and just love twisting the wrist and letting it burn all me mates have big engine bikes and this is the first one ive had and its great fun now i can stay with them :harder:
the grin factor is huge....:harder:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts