Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles should I expect to get out of my front tire? I still show plenty of tread but getting a wobble at 45mph. Original dunlop tire and 14,700 miles-any suggestions and what would be a better tire?
Thanks guys-

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
How many miles should I expect to get out of my front tire? I still show plenty of tread but getting a wobble at 45mph. Original dunlop tire and 14,700 miles-any suggestions and what would be a better tire?
Thanks guys-
Have steering head bearings been replaced? I know others have gotten quite a bit more mileage on fronts than rears, because of less weight up front, not sure how much though.

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
miles on my stock dunlap was around 8K on two replacements about 10 - 12K, the fourth one I have on now is at 12K and still looks good.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
miles on my stock dunlap was around 8K on two replacements about 10 - 12K, the fourth one I have on now is at 12K and still looks good.
Still running Dunlops Mike? If so, I guess it's just like car tires. They put poor quality stocks on so they wear quicker, but the same replacements last longer. Have seen that a lot of times.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I get between 10 and 12k per tire. And at 12k, tread or not, its gone..

Two things I dont mess with on a bike.. Tires and Brakes. 12k is plenty for Dunlops at $180 a set, shipped.

-Gonz

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get the Metzler 880 touring,huge difference in ride and handling. Tires wont cure the 45 mph wobble though,that is steering neck bearings.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Get the Metzler 880 touring,huge difference in ride and handling. Tires wont cure the 45 mph wobble though,that is steering neck bearings.
I got 16,000 out of my Dunlop, which I consider pretty good judging by what others on here have gotten.
I currently have 24,000 on my Metz, and it is about shot.

I agree the steering bearing is what is probably causing the wobble and not the tire.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
I got 17K plus and could went another 2-3K. Didn't want to push my luck. These were my stock dunnies. Wishing you well.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Two things I dont mess with on a bike.. Tires and Brakes. 12k is plenty for Dunlops at $180 a set, shipped.

-Gonz
I totally agree with Gonz. I might ride a while longer on a 10K tire if just riding locally but, if going on much of a trip, new skins for me.:choppersm

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought the bike used last summer. Has 9500 miles on it and the back tire is past its time to be replaced. Going to get the Melz 880 but interested in the wide white walls. Is there a difference in the 880's and an 880 touring tire like mentioned above?

I also have the wobble that's annoying as hell. how much of a pain is it to replace those bearings?

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
You're pretty close to the end of it's life there. As others have said, I'd go with the Metz this time around. My front end wobble was fixed with new All balls bearings in the neck. Of course I did have a new tire installed at the same time...so I can't be completely sure it wasn't just the new tire.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for input guys-pricing Metzler now-Bro knows someone that can get me a good price and will mount for free

·
Registered
34 Posts

-Gonz
Totally wise. As soon as these Dunlops get some miles on them and I get the use out of them, will be getting Metz 880's. Ride Safe! :choppersm

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i worked as a honda mechanic for 5 years and from that experience i think the steering stem bearing replacement is unnecessary in the vast majority of cases except for the riders "peace of mind". Back when i worked there was no forum where ideas or trends could spread around like wildfire. All the wobbles, and there were not a whole lot, were able to be fixed with either a good, balanced front tire or new shock bushings. I have never replaced the steering stem bearings in any of my Hondas and i doubt i will ever need to. Sorry All Balls, dont need ya! I know you are more expensive, not easy to install and i dont believe you are necessary. IMHO :stirpot: Bry

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
thats no good :nono: id check for a bent rim, worn wheel bearings, cupped or flat spot tire, tire out of balance, steering bearing out of adjustment.
Replacing the steering stem races and bearings would be my last choice when the simpler fixes have been eliminated. Bry

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Going back to the tires.......if you keep the air pressure up around 38-40, you can extend the life of the tire. As stated, a lot of members believe that replacing the neck bearings will help with the wobble. I have it between 35-45 mph and have not replaced bearings (yet).

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I am sitting here wondering if I should replace my tires b4 I put another 5500 mi on the stock Dunlops during my summer ride, or will they last?..currently have 7800 mi on them....plenty of tread still there....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i'd say they are good, Headcase, some guys have put 20,000 on dunnie front tire, but thats probably pushing it. As long as the tread is good with no cupping i think you're good for this summer. Ive got over 12,000 now on my front tire and its looking good to me, i will put another 4 thousand on it this summer, or at least i expect to. Bry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts