Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BUDBOWTIE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to all who got me through 90% of my issues with the cold starting. I got the A/F tool, made some adjustments, swapped out the plugs and life with no choke is good. Now, the second problem I have still looms. After riding a while and stopping for a 10-15 minute break, the bike will restart, but sputters and misses like it is cold and I have to deal with this a few minutes before it smooths out. How can I fix this? I have my A/F screw out 2 1/2 turns, run Champion RA8HC plugs, Cobra Classic slip-ons, K&N Air Filter (no mod to the box). Battery cables are tight, no exhaust leaks or blueing. This is driving me nuts. Any ideas are appreciated.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
It is more likely just the opposite - you are rich. This problem can be caused by high alcohol content in the fuel. After you stop, the carb heats up and boils some fuel into the intake. It smooths out when all of that fuel makes its way through the engine. My first inclination is to change gas stations/brands and see if that helps.

You might also check to make sure that your fuel tank vent line is not kinked. The gas tank will heat up sitting in the sun and if the vent is plugged might cause fuel to be forced into the carb which will cause the flooding.

TOF

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
on 2008 models the main jet is 190 instead of 195.the a/f screw is only out 1 turn from the factory.you may have yours turned out to far.i had mine out about 2 turns and had a slight hesitation,it is about 1 3/8 out and runs great(bike is stock).starts great in the morning no choke.try to turn it in and see if you can find the sweet spot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts