Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been a member since 2008 and finally have a question to post.

I am currently installing Progressive 412's 11.5" on the back of my 2006 1800S2 and installing the Progressive drop-in front fork lowering kit as well.

As I was purchasing these parts, the local shop dealer (attempting to get me to install them there for a whopping $500 labor cost) informed me that if I install both of these I will need someone to cut down and modify my kickstand because it will not hold up the bike at the correct angle after the lowering is done. Is this true or just a ploy to spend $500?
Thanks.

-Ryan

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
After lowering the bike it will be more upright on the stand. some care will need to be taken choosing a parking space. once the parts are installed you will know if any mods are needed to the stand.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
sounds like a ploy.......I do not recall anyone having to change their kickstand for any reason........some have modified theirs with extensions cause of not being able to grab it with their foot.......

·
not so new member
680 Posts
I need to modify mine.... but my bike is hardtail at 9.5", on flat ground a stiff wind will blow it over. So I am very careful where I park.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
It's a pretty simple process when it's needed, I had to do it on my FIL's Goldwing when we lowered it. With the factory length stand it would topple over very easily even on flat ground.

I just used my torch to heat it up just below the mounting bolt above the spring perch, then bent it out about 2" then let it cool off. Then I heated it up again just above the foot of the stand and then bent it down about an inch.

What we ended up with is kind of a lazy S shape to the stand and it leans over just right and the foot of it still sits flat on the ground. by doing it this way it basically moved the foot of the stand out away from the bike more and made it seem 1.5" shorter without ever cutting it, and it also tucked righ back up like it should along with making it easier to catch with his foot. All I had left to do then was cut the long side of the arm on the spring shorter so it would still pull right. (a new spring would be just as easy to get)

Obviously the VTX stand is a bit different shape but with the same theory it can be adjusted for free...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Since you have a s model, same as a retro basically. Just use a c model kick stand if you are that concerned. Some guys use the retro stand on their c model to make it easier to to get the bike off the stand.
do a search you may find 1 in the classifieds and save a few bucks.

I tried bending mine with a long pipe over it, for the same reason, but it looked like frame mount was going to bend or break before the stand would bend, so I gave up. I wouldn't use heat, you'll weaken it by taking the temper out of it.
If you have an 1800C/F, the 1800R stand is ~1-1/2" longer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts