Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 vtx 1300 r. I would like to know if anyone could help guide me on ideas of giving my Baby more power

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
Trade it on a crotch rocket. These weren't built for speed.

Reactions: s8nsuks

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,649 Posts
Tuning the carb helps for a little more power but as stated it's not a sport bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
there kinda fast already for a cruiser I think I can get it up to 80 in no time but like from 80 on up there really not made for high speed like that nor would I want to I like life and I like my bike I wouldn't want to damage either one and fact is speed kills I have been riding since my early 20's and im 40 and never have dumped a bike and I believe its all because I don't speed I dont like to speed just cruise and keep up with traffic the few times I did go 90 plus I realized how different the bike handles and how hard it is to maneuver or stop if something should happen fast and I was like ok hard pass on speeding im good I like my bones not broken and my skin on my body

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
Not to mention you don't have to be moving much just to accidently drop it. People have been hurt from a drop. Foot gets pinned, ankles broken, etc. There are 2 kinds of riders: Ones who have dropped or gone down while riding, and those who WILL. It's the skills learned, PPE, and luck that determine if you will get up and walk away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not to mention you don't have to be moving much just to accidently drop it. People have been hurt from a drop. Foot gets pinned, ankles broken, etc. There are 2 kinds of riders: Ones who have dropped or gone down while riding, and those who WILL. It's the skills learned, PPE, and luck that determine if you will get up and walk away.
My bike has been over three times. The first was pulling out of a parking spot at 2 mph. The second was in a parking lot doing 3 mph to avoid a car speeding through the lot to shortcut a traffic light. The last time was when I stopped for fuel after riding 700 miles and forgot toput the kickstand down. All three times the bike was at a full stop before going over and fortunately only my ego was bruised. Like PaXman says, you don't have to be moving much to drop it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there kinda fast already for a cruiser I think I can get it up to 80 in no time but like from 80 on up there really not made for high speed like that nor would I want to I like life and I like my bike I wouldn't want to damage either one and fact is speed kills I have been riding since my early 20's and im 40 and never have dumped a bike and I believe its all because I don't speed I dont like to speed just cruise and keep up with traffic the few times I did go 90 plus I realized how different the bike handles and how hard it is to maneuver or stop if something should happen fast and I was like ok hard pass on speeding im good I like my bones not broken and my skin on my body
No I get ya. I may not have been riding as long as you but in my opinion speed is and aint a big factor in crashing. Hold on let me explain: I think assessment goes a long way, if you have poor assessment in a potentially dangerous situation then yea thats all bad, but being a street bike guy who has never been down by the way speed has helped me get out of a lot of potentially dangerous situations. Now I'm not an idiot, I don't twist the throttle and hope for the best. I assess assess assess before i twist. I should have been more clear, I dont necessarily need more top speed, but its the torque I'm after

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everyone's input, and I apologize for not being 100% clear. Its not my top speed I'm after its the Torque. Im in a Bike club here in Fresno CA, and we ride different. We love individuality, creativity, and we are big on Stunting. No that doesn't mean wheeling and Stoppies lol, but for the big boys its burn outs, rolling burn outs and hook slides. I was just wondering if this bike had the potential of all that.

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input, and I apologize for not being 100% clear. Its not my top speed I'm after its the Torque. Im in a Bike club here in Fresno CA, and we ride different. We love individuality, creativity, and we are big on Stunting. No that doesn't mean wheeling and Stoppies lol, but for the big boys its burn outs, rolling burn outs and hook slides. I was just wondering if this bike had the potential of all that.
If you want torque, you want an 1800. But be prepared to change clutch springs and maybe upgrade to Barnett or MTC clutch discs.

Reactions: bodyman1

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
You certainly have more opportunity to be creative with an 1800 than with a VTX1300. With the former you can put in an aftermarket fuel controller and it is possible to even put in a supercharger or turbocharger (cannot remember which).

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
I drive a 2019 Chevy Equinox. If I had more $$$$$ than common sense, I could drop in an LS7 with nitrous or turbo's, a beefed up trans, Ford 9" rear, and go Pro-Mod racing. Common sense usually wins out.

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
PaXman11, Go for it. You'd have the baddest Equinox around :)

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
PaXman11, Go for it. You'd have the baddest Equinox around :)
Well, see, there's the rub. I am versed enough to know that that is NOT the way to do it, if I wanted to. This is why guys have more than one bike, and not try to have one that fitzall. For the $$$ they would spend on the upgrades to accomplish what they want, they can buy another bike or 3.

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
But you could have the only Equinox on the planet that people use the word "badass" in reference to :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So paXman11 I am wrong for asking questions then? How am I to know without asking? Thanks everyone for the input. I do intend on getting my cbr 1000 rr as a second bike. It also sounds like I should get a Harley for the things I want to do. I only asked these questions because on the "Bike Set" (if any of you are in a club), the Harleys can do almost just about what the street bikes can do down here in California. Northern California to be exact. I was just wondering if I could do the same with this bike. For now I will concentrate on the cosmetics and enjoy the ride. Thanks again

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
But you could have the only Equinox on the planet that people use the word "badass" in reference to :)
Like my 'Warp Drive'.

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
So paXman11 I am wrong for asking questions then? How am I to know without asking? Thanks everyone for the input. I do intend on getting my cbr 1000 rr as a second bike. It also sounds like I should get a Harley for the things I want to do. I only asked these questions because on the "Bike Set" (if any of you are in a club), the Harleys can do almost just about what the street bikes can do down here in California. Northern California to be exact. I was just wondering if I could do the same with this bike. For now I will concentrate on the cosmetics and enjoy the ride. Thanks again
You are NOT wrong for asking questions. Neither am I or anyone else wrong for trying to show you the folly of some actions. You can spend your $ any damn way you like. Neither I nor anyone else is twisting your arm. It's an open forum and as long as certain rules are adhered to, you, I, or anyone else is free to voice opinions.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your never ever wrong for asking questions thats a big part of this board so please continue asking whatever you please OK. I appreciate the discussion and I totally understand now why you want the power and I think its cool please keep me updated on the mods you make im curious how it goes . thanks !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats awesome I live in Orange County !

·
Registered
130 Posts
No I get ya. I may not have been riding as long as you but in my opinion speed is and aint a big factor in crashing. Hold on let me explain: I think assessment goes a long way, if you have poor assessment in a potentially dangerous situation then yea thats all bad, but being a street bike guy who has never been down by the way speed has helped me get out of a lot of potentially dangerous situations. Now I'm not an idiot, I don't twist the throttle and hope for the best. I assess assess assess before i twist. I should have been more clear, I dont necessarily need more top speed, but its the torque I'm after
I totally get it now and yes thats cool plz update the board on any mods you make im curious to know how it works out! Thanks -JP-

1 - 20 of 31 Posts