Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My bike has been over three times. The first was pulling out of a parking spot at 2 mph. The second was in a parking lot doing 3 mph to avoid a car speeding through the lot to shortcut a traffic light. The last time was when I stopped for fuel after riding 700 miles and forgot toput the kickstand down. All three times the bike was at a full stop before going over and fortunately only my ego was bruised. Like PaXman says, you don't have to be moving much to drop it.
My experience almost to a T... had to set it down from a full stop on the left side... then the same on the right. Then set it into a gas pump on an invisable kick stand, cracking a wind shield. These are dangerous at a full STOP not to even mention at 100mph! lol....

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it's torque you are looking for, put an 1800 final drive on it. It will increase your final drive ration and give substancial low end torque... Keep id mind, there will be a bit of trade off on your overall top speed.... but you will get there a bit quicker.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
It's like you buy a muscle car with a 3.73 rear gear ratio, and you swap in a 3.90. Not much of a difference.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My bike has been over three times. The first was pulling out of a parking spot at 2 mph. The second was in a parking lot doing 3 mph to avoid a car speeding through the lot to shortcut a traffic light. The last time was when I stopped for fuel after riding 700 miles and forgot toput the kickstand down. All three times the bike was at a full stop before going over and fortunately only my ego was bruised. Like PaXman says, you don't have to be moving much to drop it.
How did you pick it up there so heavy

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
In my experience, one time, it was 6AM, dark, I was exiting an interstate on my way to work and was taking the 'back way' to get there. The exit was a slight downhill grade at the stop sign, it was 3 weeks after I bought the bike so not a full chart of experience with it at that point. Handlebar just slightly turned to the right. A bit of loose gravel under my feet, and the weight of the bike enough to cause slippage with my feet. Over she went on the right side. Memory said to shut key off, put in gear, KS down.Then gingerly making sure I had enough friction under my feet, I turned my back to the bike, and left hand on the handlebar and right hand under the sissy bar support, knees bent, I reverse-squatted it slowly to the vertical, then quickly spun 180* and eased it over onto the KS. ADRENALIN and FEAR of what was I going to do? Nobody was going by, nobody was going to help me, and I didn't have a lot of time to waste. I did knock my right mirror loose and bent the front brake lever and foot brake stub, scratched my pipe ends, but the T style highway bars did a pretty good job of saving major damage. Soon after I replaced them with my NC Paladins.

Reactions: StanB

·
Registered
29 Posts
How did you pick it up there so heavy
Actually, bikes are fairly easy to get upright, it is more technique than power. What you do is stand with your back to the bike, place one hand on the handlebar closest to the ground and place the other near the back on something solid that you can grasp. You then lift and push at the same time. The tires will create enough friction to stop the bike from sliding and it will come up. The other technique, to which my wife subscribes to, is to smile and bat your eyes at all of the guys who rush over to help. I haven't had any luck with this but it surely works for her. Google a video and you'll see how it's done. It is also another valuable lesson that you learn when you take a learners course...here is another trick...You can spin your bike 180 degrees when it is on the stand by going to the back of it and dragging the rear wheel towards the side that the kickstand is on. Another one for you to Google. Cheers and stay safe out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The actual numbers are a 2.8. Swapping to a 3.10. Yes you know the difference. The VYX is a bit of a difference than a car in comparison. I vuess when the way I see it as wasted gearing for an 1800, first is worthless and swapping to a 1300's 2.80 ratio and keepi g good bottom end and gaining substa coal top end and gas milage.... Another benefit in the. Ase of the 1800, it actually makes the speedo and odometer correct to GPS and radar standards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New 2005 VTX 1800S owner, and new to the forums. So much great info!! Totally love the bike, and I'm glad to see it's not just my imagination with 1st gear. Can't hardly get through a turn without having to hit 2nd....

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
New 2005 VTX 1800S owner, and new to the forums. So much great info!! Totally love the bike, and I'm glad to see it's not just my imagination with 1st gear. Can't hardly get through a turn without having to hit 2nd....
Geez, it took you 4 months to post? Where've ya been. Whats your location? Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

Reactions: StanB
21 - 31 of 31 Posts