Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on what might be the best handling cruiser you have ever ridden? I know, I know, it's more the rider than anything, but which bike have you owned that was best in the twisties or sweepers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dunno if it's consider a cruiser, but the SV650 has a reputation for being a superb "twisties" bike -- that which I would be taking out, were I going to do "twisties" riding.....I'm new to my VTX 1300, so I'm still learning it's riding style.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I'd have to say the VTX is the best in my experience but then it's the only cruiser I've ridden unless you count a Rebel 250.

·
Sarge
643 Posts
I know I'll hear about this from many of you, but the Suzuki 1500 Intruder I had was a superior bike in the twisties in my opinion. With the center of gravity being lowered because the fuel tank was beneath the seat, it was a very responsive machine in the turns. Having ridden the dragon on both, the VTX was no match for it... however, from a reliability perspective, the VTX wins hands down..

·
Registered
706 Posts
#1 Yamaha road warrior
#2 Victory Vegas
I find the X to be a bit lazy (even with a bike tire) but laid back is good on a crusier.

·
Registered
478 Posts
kinda out of the blue and i have no experience with it, but the talk in all the mags is the new ducati diavel. the've made a cruiser, but being more known for sport bikes supposively it handles better than most other cruisers. faster too.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
VTX with:

Progressive Springs Front
Progressive Shocks Rear
Steering Bearings changed to All Balls
Good Tires set to 40psi

I havent ridden another bike yet that will compare.

Granted, the VTX isn't stock... And I haven't ridden another bike with those mods done... But every bike Ive ridden seems a little.... "sloppy" Not Dangerous, "sloppy" just not..... "tight"

If that makes sense...

So sure, you could mod any bike with progressives and make sure the bearings are done with quality instead of factory crap... but you didnt mention "stock only" or "modified".

Dump $600 into any bike, and Ill bet ya its going to be a tight bitch... but having only ridden the VTX with the mods above done... man, there just aint no comparison.

-Gonz

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
kinda out of the blue and i have no experience with it, but the talk in all the mags is the new ducati diavel. the've made a cruiser, but being more known for sport bikes supposively it handles better than most other cruisers. faster too.
If that bike is a cruiser, then I'm Michael Jordan...:rolleyes: :nope:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would have to give the edge to my '85 Magna. That thing held tight radius corners like it was on rails. Absolutely "flickable" in twisties. Still miss that bike a lot. It had "go right now power" at the flick of a wrist in any gear.

·
Registered
877 Posts
To all those who say the VTX is good in twisties.... No way. It may be comfortable, but it just isn't capable of enough lean angle to be considered 'good in the twisties.' I learned to ride on my fathers Honda Magna, (750 Magna) When I got my X, I felt like I had to drag the pegs just to make a regular turn. If the Magna wasn't so small and cramped for me, I would have looked at one for myself.

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
I've only owned Honda's, so my experience is a bit weak, but when I had a Shadow Aero, I felt that had a good balance of power and maneuverability... Just my two cents.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I thought it was just me feeling like the x won't turn. I am still very new.1000 miles riding experience. But I have to borrow my buddys k1000 for the dmv test, I just can't get the x through the cone weave. I thought I was doing it wrong, than two others with 50+ years combined Experiance tried, and agreed it is very lazy. That said, I love the way it rides. Once in a while I will get twisties, but for my daily uses, the x is perfect... I did ride an older Vulcan 750 for a month before I sold it and it seemed to do well. But I weighed almost the same as the bike, so it had to go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw one the other day in the dealership. Hard to imagine classifying a 165hp rocket ship as a cruiser! But that is what the salesman called it!

I would have to give the edge to my '85 Magna. That thing held tight radius corners like it was on rails. Absolutely "flickable" in twisties. Still miss that bike a lot. It had "go right now power" at the flick of a wrist in any gear.
I was wondering if a Magna would show up in this thread. Of all the cruisers I have owned, my BMW R1200C (their attempt at a cruiser) was a blast in the tight stuff. Low center of gravity, put it in 3rd and use that power band. I would still have that bike if it had been equipped with at least 25 more hp than the paltry 61hp it came with. BMW detuned it from the R1200R standard to make it a cruiser. Bad decision IMHO.

VTX with:

Progressive Springs Front
Progressive Shocks Rear
Steering Bearings changed to All Balls
Good Tires set to 40psi

I havent ridden another bike yet that will compare.

Granted, the VTX isn't stock... And I haven't ridden another bike with those mods done... But every bike Ive ridden seems a little.... "sloppy" Not Dangerous, "sloppy" just not..... "tight"

If that makes sense...

So sure, you could mod any bike with progressives and make sure the bearings are done with quality instead of factory crap... but you didnt mention "stock only" or "modified".

Dump $600 into any bike, and Ill bet ya its going to be a tight bitch... but having only ridden the VTX with the mods above done... man, there just aint no comparison.

-Gonz
Gonz, even with all that set up, are you still scraping the boards, or is it that much stiffer?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I did all the changes to my X, springs, bushings, shims, bearings, CT,,,,,,, and I sure miss that bike.

Running with this nekkid Wing now. By reputation Wings are supposed to be great handling bikes. I'll say it's pretty good but it doesn't hold a candle to what the X was for ridability and twisties control.

That X just stayed firmly planted no matter what I was doing or what the weather was doing. Can't say that about the Wing.

Thinking back to all the bikes I've run over the years they all had their pluses and minuses but I guess for just a 'get on and go wherever or whatever' bike the X was just about the best of 'em all.

I kinda include reliability in the equation. I always knew exactly what the X was gonna do in any circumstance and that does make a difference in what I would or would not try.

Wren

·
Registered
517 Posts
Many years ago I would have sworn my old triumph bonneville was the best bike going. Sat up on the straight and the twists and turns were awesome. that bike would lean forever and never hit a peg. I would really like to try the new Thunderbird. Love my X really.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've only ridden 5 different bikes, so i don't have the level of experience that most other people here have. but if I had to pick one bike out of them, it would probably be the Aero750. It has many of the same handling characteristics of the VTX, weighs less, gets better gas mileage, sits a bit lower, and just plain old seems easier to handle.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Our 96' 750 Magna is fantastic in the mountains and can run all day with the bigger bikes. Nimble is the best way to describe it and like someone else said, flick the wrist and you are gone. The worst I've owned was a 80' BMW R100RT. Cool bike but murder in the twisties.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I really love my X but it does seem like I drag my boards quite often when cornering. Then the wife hits the rib brakes on me. LOL I really liked my old Suzuki GS1100L back years ago. But its been so long ago I am not sure how it compares with the X.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts