Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, who here has taken this test at the DMV recently?

I'm trying to look it up online, but I can't figure out what exactly the test consists of (I'm talking about the road test, btw...not the computer one).

If anyone could provide insight, I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I took a class and got a piece of paper then got my m endorsment never had to take the actual dmv test. I heard they are all a pain in the rear fender

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
I did like rusty, took the MSF course thru my local Tech school. They give you both tests, if you pass, you get a waiver form. Go to the dmv and pay to get a new license.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think each state is different, I was needing to take the MSC to lower my insurance after like 20+ yrs.

Ours consisted of two high speed curve maneuvers the last one consisting of a emergency stop. One high speed straight line emergency stop with minimal required distance. One figure 8 inside a box and one high speed 45 degree and one obstacle maneuvers. The test required a minimal score to pass and dropping of the bike is a instance failure.

The last day of the course right before the test our class had done very well considering everyone of them was noobs. Someone dropped the bike during the circle 8 which was surprising to me. Along with that the one guy which I felt was at a total risk for killing himself or someone else had passed. I fully expect to read in the paper he has been killed or injured.

After passing of the course you either got a endorsement or 15% off motorcycle insurance.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
9,050 Posts
MSF course. Worth every penny. Basically spent all day practicing for the test and learned a few things on the way.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I did like rusty, took the MSF course thru my local Tech school. They give you both tests, if you pass, you get a waiver form. Go to the dmv and pay to get a new license.
:icon_arro same... The nice thing, for Ohio at least, is that you use their little 250cc bikes,that way IF you happened to drop it or if someone ran into you don't mess up your X.

In my class there was one woman who showed up in all kinds of brand new harley gear (boots, helmet, shirts, gloves). Her bike fell on her when she forgot to put down the kickstand. She didn't pass.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Illinois is very similar. A cone weave, a 45 degree turn a high speed swerve, an emergency stop inside a small box. Hardest thing for me was the cone weave. I would suggest borrowing the smallest bike you can to take the test. Easier to maneuver on. I had originally enrolled in a safety course but the company I was going with cancelled it three weeks in a row so I said screw it and just practiced in our local high school parking lot for a few weeks then took the test at the DMV. Best of luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
704 Posts
Take the MSF course. Money well spent. Sharpens your skills and you dont have to take no stinkn state test. But you do have to prove competency to your instructors.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
I think each state is different, I was needing to take the MSC to lower my insurance after like 20+ yrs.

Ours consisted of two high speed curve maneuvers the last one consisting of a emergency stop. One high speed straight line emergency stop with minimal required distance. One figure 8 inside a box and one high speed 45 degree and one obstacle maneuvers. The test required a minimal score to pass and dropping of the bike is a instance failure.

The last day of the course right before the test our class had done very well considering everyone of them was noobs. Someone dropped the bike during the circle 8 which was surprising to me. Along with that the one guy which I felt was at a total risk for killing himself or someone else had passed. I fully expect to read in the paper he has been killed or injured.

After passing of the course you either got a endorsement or 15% off motorcycle insurance.
Exactly the reason I do NOT like the MSF courses!!!!!!..I have one not far from my house, we have rode up and watched them, and I have seen people pass that in no way should be on the road...The DMV tests are a little harder, and in my opinion they are for good reason..However my opinion you should also take the test on the bike you plan on riding every day, I mean it's one thing to handle a 250 in certain situations, but another to handle a 1300 or 1800 in the same situation...I just feel like if you are going to ride a 1300 or an 1800 you should be able to do the same basic
maneuvers on it...I know most don't agree, but it's my opinion...I also feel like when it comes to getting a ML, I think it's tooooooo short of a process...when you first start driving a car, they don't give you a DL in a matter of 2-3 days do they???....I mean I agree everyone has to learn sometime and at some point...I think each state should have a motorcycle beginners class on a closed course , and you should have to have so many weeks in the class and then be able to pass the test at the DMV..the test at the DMV is a lot different than the one given at the MSF courses....However good luck getting your ML :cheers:

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
Another thing to look into, I'm pretty sure ST Paul Harley has the Harley riding school, might want to check into that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Before I purchased my VTX1800 after not riding for a while 2 fyears ago I went to the parking lot they do the DMV tests here as they mark where the cones are placed. I used my friend's VTX and the hardest was the U-turn and the offset cone weave. I already had my license as I had always kept it current but just wanted to see how the VTX did on the course. I remember when I took my test about 20 years ago the instructor told a guy who was on a Harley Road King (I think) that he would allow 2 misses on the cones and within a foot of the line on the U-Turn. The course was originally designed for 1000cc and below but has never been updated for the extreme large bikes. People showed up in pickup truck with 125cc cycles to do the test when I took mine years ago. Another good prep before taking the test is using the Drive Like A Pro series if you plan on using your own bike which I believe you should. My friends VTX handled fine and I was happy when I tested it and the one reason I decided to purchase the VTX1800. My last bike was a Kawasaki 750 10 years ago and the VTX was intimidating at first but once you get the feel of it you wouldn't go back down. I am 6'3" and 270lbs so the VTX feels perfect and like an extension of yourself when riding. Fun, fun, fun.......:)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
MSF course which gives you the test at the end. Basically all you do is repeat what they just taught you during the course.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Exactly the reason I do NOT like the MSF courses!!!!!!..I have one not far from my house, we have rode up and watched them, and I have seen people pass that in no way should be on the road...The DMV tests are a little harder, and in my opinion they are for good reason..However my opinion you should also take the test on the bike you plan on riding every day, I mean it's one thing to handle a 250 in certain situations, but another to handle a 1300 or 1800 in the same situation...I just feel like if you are going to ride a 1300 or an 1800 you should be able to do the same basic
maneuvers on it...I know most don't agree, but it's my opinion...I also feel like when it comes to getting a ML, I think it's tooooooo short of a process...when you first start driving a car, they don't give you a DL in a matter of 2-3 days do they???....I mean I agree everyone has to learn sometime and at some point...I think each state should have a motorcycle beginners class on a closed course , and you should have to have so many weeks in the class and then be able to pass the test at the DMV..the test at the DMV is a lot different than the one given at the MSF courses....However good luck getting your ML :cheers:
+1...I first got a motorcycle endorsement when I was 16...On my 16th b-day I got my regular driver's license and motorcycle learner's permit (dad taught me how to ride in the field behind the house)..30 days later I went back to the BMV and took the then-very-simple test (Michigan) and had the MC endorsement added...

Fast forward to 1995 when I got divorced and had to sell the '76 Goldwing I inherited from my dad, so I let the MC endorsement lapse...

Fast forward again to September 2007 and I bought my VTX....Got a learner's permit right away and the following April rode my 1300 to take the state (Indiana) rider skill test...Passed the test just fine, only problem was in the cone weave portion of the test with such a big bike...This was on a Saturday...The following Monday I went to the BMV again and got the MC endorsement added....Again...

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
if you use a small motorcycle. practice with it, not your regular bike. before taking the test.

Years ago, when I took the DMV cycle test. a guy on a big Harley, leathers and all. took a small bike off the back of a pickup truck and took the test on a little 250 Yamaha. you guessed it. He dropped it in the weave cone area. Failed the test and every one was LAUGHING.

·
Registered
732 Posts
When I got my Shadow a few years ago, I took a MSF course, to brush up, (hadn't been on a bike for a few years) and as moral support for my dad who had decided that he was gonna start riding again after about 20 years. I have to say, the DMV test is a cake walk compared to the MSF test we took. But, i felt better for having taken the course. Fixed some bad habits I had developed from teaching myself how to ride.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I rode for years without the endorsement, but finally got it when I was 26 I guess and got a newer bike that I wanted to carry collision ins. on. The test here is or was given with a trooper riding in a car behind you on the public roads, they honked for turns, 1 for right, 2 for left. I always found it odd that I was able to insure the bike with liability with no MC license. Even got stopped once and the officer didn't give me a ticket.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take the MSF course. Money well spent. Sharpens your skills and you dont have to take no stinkn state test. But you do have to prove competency to your instructors.
I would take the MSF. I have been riding for almost 20 years and after renewing my permit a few times and riding without any type of permit/license for to long it was time to go legal. The old HD I had would not pass inspection so I took the class. Even though I had been riding for many years, I still learned a few things and was reminded of a few more, worth the time IMO.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I took the test at the DMV on my Shadow. The gf took the MSF course. From the sounds of it, the dmv course sounded harder. We had a park-and-ride across the street from where we lived, and did a lot of practicing there. I kinda wish I had taken the MSF course, but oh well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The dot test they give out is in the drivers study book also find it on line if you want I think I have it downloaded to my phone if ya pm me your email ill send it to ya.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 30 Posts