Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ride, eat, sleep...repeat
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how or where the act of bikers waving to each began? I am doing some research on the topic and knew that you fine folks would have answers - either real or made up... go ahead - let me know about the 'Biker Wave".

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
usually the wave is two fingers pointing down (index & middle) to signify keeping two wheels on the ground.

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
usually the wave is two fingers pointing down (index & middle) to signify keeping two wheels on the ground.
So we been telling other riders 'no wheelies' since like forever?

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I started motorcycling in 1981 they were waving then, so I have no idea when or how it all started. And yes, the low peace sign seems to be the coolest!!!

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Didn't Al Gore invent it?

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I've read it comes from knight's on horseback gretting each other by lifting their visors. I also heard that's where the military salute came from.

·
Registered
261 Posts
VW guys give peace signs, have for years.

As far as bikes go, I always heard it was wishing the other biker a good ride (rubber-side down) and a sign of respect (I see you).

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've read it comes from knight's on horseback gretting each other by lifting their visors. I also heard that's where the military salute came from.
That is where the military salute came from. Raising the hand to show they were unarmed and did not intend the other rider any harm.

That's also my guess as to where the biker wave came from. A greeting from one rider on his "horse" to another.

·
Ride, eat, sleep...repeat
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I KNEW I could get the real inside truth about the biker wave on this site. Believe me, my article is going to be quite interesting!! Anything else I need to add to the information already listed??

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ya I think Gore invented the wave then the internet so we could spread the word. I'm guessing that when we get the 1 finger that wheelies are OK.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Its been going on as long as I can remember, Jeep owners do it too. I believe its just a way of showing respect and saying hello to other 2 wheeled brothers {and sisters}

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well, I read somewhere that two fingers down signified all is okay and one finger DOWN (not up) warned of cops in the area. My vision isn't as good as it once was so I find myself staring at oncoming rider's fingers. I miss a lot that way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts