Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Nuvi 680 (I think its a 680). Anyone know of any way to mount it to my 1300R without looking like crap. I want to run the power thru the bike so the unit doesnt die after an hour too.

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 680 (I think its a 680). Anyone know of any way to mount it to my 1300R without looking like crap. I want to run the power thru the bike so the unit doesnt die after an hour too.
Welcome to the Cafe! :cheers:

I have the Nuvi 765t. I mount it on the handlebars using a Ram Mount. I supply power through a 12V outlet that's wired from my fuse block into the bag on my handlebars. There's very little wire showing when it's plugged in since the unit is so close to the bag.

There's a picture and review at the link below. :cheers:
http://favoriteroads.com/index.php/topic,21.0.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest problem I see is getting a mount for it...the mount that came with it is suction cup and wont suffice. After that, its a matter of running a line to the battery?

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
The biggest problem I see is getting a mount for it...the mount that came with it is suction cup and wont suffice. After that, its a matter of running a line to the battery?
Yep. Like I said, I use the Ram Mount just as many others here do. There are chrome/polished mounts on eBay, but when it's not on the bike, there's only a small ring/ball on the handlebars. The Ram Mount is extremely secure. There's more info about where I purchased my mount at the link above. :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'm not seeing it but the suction cup mount also houses the charger...like it plugs into the bottom of the mount and the unit rest in it charging as its being used.

Do the RAM mounts or even those other mounts have that option?

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Maybe I'm not seeing it but the suction cup mount also houses the charger...like it plugs into the bottom of the mount and the unit rest in it charging as its being used.

Do the RAM mounts or even those other mounts have that option?
Unless your unit is entirely different, the little charging cradle seperates from the suction cup mount. On this style ram mount, you leave the charging cradle attached to the GPS unit to mount it on the ball for the Ram Mount. I hope this makes sense. :hmm2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I got it...so snap the cradle off the ball on the suction cup mount. Perfect. How hard is it to wire this myself? I don't wanna try to save a few dollars and end up out several hundred.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,193 Posts
You're gonna have to run an external power source to the cradle either by a hard wire or accessory plug. The ones I have uses the 17mm ball for the Garmin cradle or the entire cradle snaps in to a RAM mount that uses a 1.0'' ball.

Go to that website that I posted and click on GPS and GPS mount wizard and find all the options for your particular unit.

I can find the link for the Garmin Hardwire I have if you want it. It is a Glisson. I bought mine from Amazon. Shy away from The mount guys hardwire. There mounts are okay, but their electrical stuff is JUNK!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts