Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently put on 4 in risers and all went well. I did notice that both the brake and clutch cables are very tight when turning so I believe I need to reroute them. How can I best accomplish this? I don't need to gain much length but do need a little bit. Any help out there?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hey all,

I recently put on 4 in risers and all went well. I did notice that both the brake and clutch cables are very tight when turning so I believe I need to reroute them. How can I best accomplish this? I don't need to gain much length but do need a little bit. Any help out there?
Some have rerouted them to behind the triple tree after installing risers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that would probably be best but I am looking to understand how to remove both cable to reroute them. Probably should have mentioned this in the 1st thread eh? How do I get the cables off the handlebars??

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yes that would probably be best but I am looking to understand how to remove both cable to reroute them. Probably should have mentioned this in the 1st thread eh? How do I get the cables off the handlebars??
Do you mean disconnected from the clutch lever and throttle housing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes. I am not stupid but I am not a mechanic either. I don't want to get into something that will lead to a much bigger problem than I can handle. Do I have to remove the whole throttle housing?

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
I am not stupid but I am not a mechanic either -

Same with me. When I moved the ones on the 750 to accommodate the 8" risers I found it easier to just remove the Triple Tree and route them behind... Just less hassle for me in the long run.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
yes. I am not stupid but I am not a mechanic either. I don't want to get into something that will lead to a much bigger problem than I can handle. Do I have to remove the whole throttle housing?
As you probably figured out the clutch side is a little easier to deal with. Just loosen the lock wheel and thread in the adjuster and line up the slots in both the lock wheel and the adjuster and the cable should come out.

I only just recently had my thottle side apart to clean and lube it after a 11 day trip where 10 of the days were wet.

There are some pictures and a bit of a write up at the following link. The write up is to replace the handlebar switch housing, but it does discribe removing the throttle cables. Give it a read and then if you have any additional question, I or someone else here will be glad to help.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/handlebars-switches/switch-housing-swap-honda/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts