Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to order a Memphis Shades batwing for my 1300s. (I already have an Alleycat sportshield.) My question is what size windshield do I order: 7, 9, or 12 inch? I'm 5'10". I'd appreciate any suggestions or insight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the 12" on mine. I'm 5'6" and have to look through the shield with quite a bit above my line of vision., but I have lingering effects from Bells Palsey a few years ago, so cool air messes with my left eye.
At 5' 10" you're gonna be pretty close to lookin over the top if not over the top. Also remember you have a little adjustment on the whole thing by moving the clamps up and down. If you're one of those that like a lot of air, I'd go with the 9". You'll still have a lot of coverage, yet get plenty of air over the top.

·
Registered
68 Posts
lowers

I notice you have lowers. I have a MS Batwing ordered with the lowers that attach to the fairing. Do you think I will also need the lowers that attach to the fork tubes?

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I use both but you can try the one on the fairing first and see what you think. If you need/want more then order them for yourself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just installed my batwing with 12 inch shield a couple weeks ago. I'm 5'10" with a mustang seat.

The top of the shield is about even with the top my mouth just below my nose, I see over it just fine but could duck behind it if needed. The clamps are mounted about an inch from the top of the forks. And I have the angle as steep as I could get it.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
I have the 12" and am happy with it. I'm 6 feet tall. Ideally, the top of the shield should come to about the bridge of your nose, from what I've read.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the wind that people are adding the lowers for effect your lower body or will it also buffet my head (and vision)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
5" that comes with it looks cool but is like having nothing there. 12" is my winter one that blocks wind well but I don't care for the looks of. 9" is my current one that has more of the look I like with enough of the wind blocked to be comfortable (don't feel like I'm getting beat up by the wind). I'd like to try 7" but haven't yet. I feel it will provide more of the look I'm looking for but questionable on the wind. I'm 5'10" w/ a stock seat and sit kind of slouched. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I like the 5" shield personally. I love the wind in my face. I get too hot hiding behind a windshield. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts