Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about the mustang vintage wide seat , anyone can tell me how it will change my postion of riding, will it set me back futher, im 6 ft 2. or any other opinions are appreciated :cheers:

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I have one, I'm 6'1"

From what they say, it sets you forward an inch, but I really cannot be positive about it because its one of the first things I did to the bike. I think I put all of 50mi on the stock and needed it gone. Now, I can (and have) put 500-600mi on it in one day, hopped off, and could have hopped back on and ridden more.

Is it comfortable? For me it is, absolutely. I dont like "Pillow" soft, but I like a seat soft enough for me to sink into a little, so there is no left-right movement.

Ultimate seats are the "Pillow" soft to me, and they're pretty expensive.

The other options out there are to have the stock re-done. There are a few people who do this, and can "put" you where you want to be (up, down, forward, back).

At 6'1" with a Wide Touring, I'm comfortable. Feet flat on the floorboards, knees bent 90 degrees. I do have highway pegs as well, and can stretch out rather nicely. One advantage to being closer is bringing the bars closer to you, which isnt a bad thing.

Do I like it? Immensely. Love it. Wont own a bike without one. Will you like it? I'd have to say "probably" because no one's seating position, or seat preference is necessarily correct for someone else.

Best advice I can give you is to go find one to sit on, and let your ass decide..

-Gonz

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
It will move you forward...I had one on my 1300..I am short and the move forward was welcomed...However at 6'2" I am not quite sure you can handle too much forward movement w/o feeling like you are sitting on the gas tank...JMO

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yep the Mustang does move you forward. I'm 6'4" and it had a slight ackwardness to it the first ride, But that went away real quick. I really didnt feel cramped, It was just a different riding position to get use to. The Mustang is so much better then stock, Best purchase for my bike. Period!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine was on when I bought the bike so I can't compare, but it's the best seat I have ever had on any bike.. All previous bikes had stockers. But seats are subjective to the butt that's sitting on it. I do highly recommend you get the drivers backrest though.. You won't regret it!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx everyone for your input :D found a couple good prices on e-bay any other suggestions

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess I feel a little different than most. I had a mustang seat on my last bike and loved it so it was one of the first things I bought for my vtx. The mustang may move you closer but it angles you back with a more leaned back posture compared to the stock seat, so to me i felt farther back. I ended up getting different risers to move the bars back. If you want to spend a little more the back rest is worth every penny on those longer rides.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Do you not like where the stock seat sits you?...or is it the fact that the stock seat is just not comfortable?...thats a stock seat I have on my bike that was totally re-built by Robert @ A2zcustomupholstery...I couldn't be happier with it...he can move you anywhere you want to be...up, down..forward, back...and he makes the most comfortable seat on the market...I've had both Ultimate & Mustang and neither come close to the seats he has made for me...and cheaper than either seat set....Just throwing another option out there for you, good luck with whatever you choose :cheers:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was going to purchase mine on ebay too, but if you don't like it, your stuck with it.
If you buy it directly from Mustang, you can mount it on the bike, ride it for 10 days and then return it if you don't like it. I absolutely LOVE mine and can't even imagine riding without it. I feel more confident on the bike and it just suits me really well. Amazing Seat!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bought one and have yet to put it on my bike, since I am in winter mod mode. I have sit on two of them on different VTX's and while I liked it my wife loved it. So decision made for me.

I got mine from here.
http://www.mustangseatdealer.com/products/Mustang-Seat-79327-Wide-Touring-Two%2dPiece-Vintage-Seat-with-Driver-Backrest-(No-Studs,-No-Conchos)-For--Honda-VTX-1300-Retro-S-and-T-02%2d09-.html

Shipped fast and was exactly as described. Best price I found when I was looking for one. hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Duck Down

Had my Mustang Wide Touring seat for three months, I agree it is the best improvement. Wife is more stable and more comfortable now. Sits a little lower as well as forward, gives a much better feel of the X. Dollar for dollar best upgrade! Much better on my back. Good luck and safe riding!:choppersm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts