Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm almost done with the repair work on the damaged Tsukayu saddlebags (kindly donated by Sumdatx), The Harley tour-pack, and USATrailerstore Fairing (both from my 1300), I've been working on a paint concept for the rest of my 1800.
I'm not great with Photoshop.. but here's what I'm leaning towards..

The colors used will be:
Main Color: Electric Current Red Metallic (90's Mustang color- I have half a gallon leftover from my old stock)

Mural: Hydro-Dipped Red True-Fire (I purchased a "kit" and this will be my first attempt at doing this myself)

Accent Color: Jet Black

Pinstripe: Apple Red Reflective Vinyl Pinstripe (between the Black and Fire, and Black and EC Red)

The whole bike will be very lightly pearled with RED Pearl.....

I've spent a few minutes "sketching" with Photoshop... to give you an idea. The pinstripe lines will be smoother and follow the curves better than shown... I can't freehand them worth a damn...

Tank Design:

Fairing design:

I'm still working on what the side-covers, bags and trunk design will look like... but I didn't have any good pictures to photoshop. I'll take some today and update the thread when I can.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Ray, that's gonna luck killer and especially like the hydro-dip flames. You are probably well aware of this, but, when my parts were dipped in a carbon fiber film the pieces being dipped were painted black so the film would appear darker. I have several pieces of this film left and have one piece to dip: chrome housing the speedo and gas opening goes thru (dash ??). Has a couple of scuffs from the wreck and I think the carbon fiber on it would look pretty good.
After you get you technique down pat :)tapfoot: -- I know), maybe you could dip this for me.
That flame film looks just like what that guy in Washington state does free-hand for BIG bucks.
:americanflag: HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY :canflag2:

·
Registered
15,730 Posts
It would run better if it was a STUDEBAKER color, LOL!

·
Registered
15,730 Posts
Took a few pics this morning of my Harley Trunk and Tsukayu bags... did a little taping and Photoshop... Pretty sure this is what I'll do....

Trunk:

Saddlebags:
New poster-child for "CAN YOU SEE ME NOW, ASSHOLE?

·
Fastest Red Club Member
6,884 Posts
Curious how this dipping turns out. I'm still a bit confused on the process. I have some vinyl I'll be playing with on my bike whenever I get time to fool with it. I can't paint. Lol

·
Registered
15,730 Posts
I'll likely be mostly doing this myself.. If I can get someone to help.. maybe they can take a video.
Maddog22 had his professionally 'dipped' a couple years ago, don't know if he might be able to offer any advice.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
6,884 Posts
I'll likely be mostly doing this myself.. If I can get someone to help.. maybe they can take a video.
Don't need a video just want to see how it turns out. :)

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
The company I bought my film from also sold a spray can of some chemical you sprayed on top of the water just before you lay the film on it and then dip the part in. Promotes adhesion ??? I watched the video they showed of the process. Can dip all sort/sizes, as long as your water tank and piece of film is big enough. Showed them dipping all sorts of car wheels. After the film drys, then you do a clear coat (at least mine was).

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, what does Baker6x6 do on a long holiday weekend? Well, WORK of course!

I completed the first block-sanding of all the parts.. found a few pits and filler-edges, fixed them, and then re-primed the parts.

Re-Primed:

After the 2nd blocking, and I was happy with the results... all parts were epoxy primed with Omni Black Epoxy Primer:

This was allowed to dry overnight- After a light watersanding (400G) to remove any nibs- the parts were sprayed with Dupont Chromabase Black Basecoat.

This was also allowed to dry overnight- and then the parts were taped off and the Red was sprayed:

I decided to clear the parts first- and then add the Hydro-Dip. I experimented with a valve cover- and decided I need much more practice. The basecoat requires clearcoat within 48 hours- so I will clear everything and Hydro-Dip later. Then re-clear over top the Hydro-Dip.

Here are the parts trimmed (edges and high spots) Cleared with Red Pearl added. This was only on the edges and reflective surfaces- the wide areas were skipped.

Then, The entire panels were cleared (2-coats) with Clear only.

When sufficiently dry (about an hour), I'll take a few pieces outside for pictures under natural light.

Took the Trunk outside in the sun:

More updates coming tomorrow... when I can carry the parts outside (without worry)....

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
:glee: Excellent work Ray. Lots going on there: red pearl, two-tone, hydro-dip flames. :americanflag::icon_cheesygrin::canflag2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
IndyX
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing