Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride yesterday and made several stops with no problems. I pulled off the highway to tighten my helmet strap and never turned the bike off. Pulled up to the stop sign to get back on the highway and it stalled when I started to take off. I thought I just killed it.

Tried to restart and nothing. No odometer, lights nothing. I checked the fuses, pulled the seats and check the battery connections. I'm getting frustrated so I call for a tow truck. Bike is at home and back on the battery tender.

I've rechecked all the fuses with a multi-meter and they are all good. Green connectors under tank are connected, Battery connections tightened and checks at 14+ volts. Ignition switch checks good.

Where do I go from here? And the bike is an 03 1300S

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
First step is to fully charge the battery and have it 100 amp load tested. My hope is that the battery is bad as other alternatives are harder to diagnose and likely more expensive to fix.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just about to have my doubts about checking the battery. I've had the bike on a tender all winter long except for a weekend last month and these last two weeks intermittently and the bike has started strong every time. One second on the button and fire. I just hooked it up to my car charger and the lights all came on. I've never seen a battery go bad so fast especially while it had been running great all day and running when it died. It was also reading 14.3 volts.

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
Voltage reading of a vehicle battery is a near worthless indicator of efficacy. It is the current that the battery can deliver that matters. A battery can show normal voltage but still not be able to deliver adequate current (measured in amps) to start a bike. Your battery might still be good but I hope not since other problems are harder to diagnose and solve. Get the 100 amp load test done and see what it shows.

Reactions: MyCoal1800R

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jim. I did the 100 dollar load test. Replaced and all is well. Again I never thought the battery was the problem.

Back in the day batteries would slowly go bad, but even car batteries seem to up and quit with no warning

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,875 Posts
Happened to one of our group on trip couple years ago. Parked bike no problem. Then no start. Took to auto store had internal direct short on battery. Dead as dead can be.

Batteries can fail slow or very very fast.
My own bike the battery was slowly failing to the point it was taking all the amperage to turn over bike. It was nearly dead afterwards so idled like crap every start. I was chasing other issues but it was the battery. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went for a ride yesterday and made several stops with no problems. I pulled off the highway to tighten my helmet strap and never turned the bike off. Pulled up to the stop sign to get back on the highway and it stalled when I started to take off. I thought I just killed it.

Tried to restart and nothing. No odometer, lights nothing. I checked the fuses, pulled the seats and check the battery connections. I'm getting frustrated so I call for a tow truck. Bike is at home and back on the battery tender.

I've rechecked all the fuses with a multi-meter and they are all good. Green connectors under tank are connected, Battery connections tightened and checks at 14+ volts. Ignition switch checks good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like what happened to me. It turned out there was a crack internal in the battery connectors, inside the case. Everything looked fine, tested fine with voltmeter and charger showed charging but no blown fuses or anything. No lights, nothing worked until a new battery and then everything was fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts

could it be your kill switch ?
That happened to me, I came to a stop, then it just died.
took me a minute to figure it out. I must have bumped my kill switch when I took my hand off to wave at someone

·
Registered
1 Posts

Same thing happened to me and it was the battery. Trailored it home and put a new battery in it and problem solved!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts