Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year at Christmas time my family and I always try to do something to help those less fortunate than ourselves. We've bought toys for Toys For Tots before, we've bought books for a program at our childrens school, donated time......this year I decided we needed to do something different.

I kept thinking of who to try and help this year and kept coming back to one idea...our local animal shelter. Sure it isn't people but the animals there seem to go even more unnoticed this time of year than any. Its also the place where our furry son Niko came from so we all agreed that this was our place to help this year.

We loaded up in the car and went to Meijer and proceeded to load up on treats, food, shampoo, toys, collars, leashes, bowls, blankets and anything else we could think of and took it all to the shelter. The employees there were so grateful for our contributions this year. We also carried the treats around to every pen and made sure that each animal got a hand delivered "gift" from us for Christmas.

It felt nice knowing that all the animals would have a little something to keep them going while waiting to be adopted. And like I said they aren't people but without the animal shelter and people donating time and resources my family would probably be without a furry member.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Thats awesome!!!!....I donate 50 a month to the local shelter here, have for the last 3 years...it's only 50 but I figure 50 is better than nothing...My little sister and I were in Petsmart last week and they had all of their christmas toys marked down to like 50% off...My little sister and I bought up about all they had and took them by the shelter the next day for all the doggies that wouldn't have a home for Christmas....Nothing at all wrong with helping the animals ...sometimes they appreciate it more than humans :cheers:

·
9,160 Posts
What a fantastic idea. Not to take away from those that do for our fellow man, but we do have to remember and do for our friendly pets. Great story, thanks. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Dude, this almost brought a tear to my eye's. Animals are very dear to me! You and your family have done a fine thing for thses homeless critters!

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
My family has had mostly strays and rescues all my life. What you did showed real kindness. Way to go!

·
The Notorious B.I.G. Jim
1,074 Posts
I'm in the process of adopting a dog we resued from the streets here in Aghanistan. He was the target of a gang of punks with nothing better to do than abuse a defensless pup when my guys intervened. I'm estimating he's maybe 3 months old.

It's gonna cost at least $2,000 - $3,000 to get him back to my wife, but she will be all about it. My wife was diagnosed with a non-curable cancer a few years ago. She is stable now but has been battling since. Sending him will be like my sending a piece of me home and will give her something to focus her love on. Her doctors agree it will be good for her. I don't really have the cash laying around, but that doesn't matter to me at all under the circumstances.

Buda_Jim
:cool:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Both of our 4 legged family members are "adopted"...one was a stray that was left tied to a pole....the other was from an abusive home....

Kudos to you and your wife.....

·
The Notorious B.I.G. Jim
1,074 Posts
Yeah -- We've rescued six standard poodles over the last 20 years, and a few years ago my wife rescued two dachsund mixed breeds. Rescuing something from an active hostile fire environment, however, is a really different experience for us. A lot of bureacracy and not a small amount of money. That said, I can't put a price on the therapeutic value for my wife. The hassle factor is probably minimal, what's one more when you already have three? I'm hoping the International rescue agencies involved will give us a break.

Buda Jim
:cool:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I to have two rescued dogs and am glad you posted this after reading this and everyones post Im am on my way to the humane society to donate a couple of hundred. I gave to the food shelve yesterday, very sad the people in need, and was looking for someplace, that stays in my community, to donate too thanks again for the suggestion

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
You and your wife are excellent folks OFS. All of my animals have been adopted over the years. Merry Christmas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts