Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Panic tested/Wife approvd
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed home from work, 11:35 PM last night, less than a mile from home. I'm on my 1300R with highway lights on, aimed just a little higher than the headlight. 2 lane lit road in a residential area, 35 MPH zone. Speedo reads 35. I'm in no hurry. I sweat thru my clothes all day at work and the ride is a pleasant refresher to a long day. Ahead of me on my right, I see a car coming up to the end of a driveway from a nursing home, and it stops like it's supposed to. No problem, I'll maintain my speed. Then he pulls out to turn left.

I do some moderate to heavy front and rear braking while downshifting, and I realize that as long as he keeps turning, I can sneak around behind him using the wide driveway to get back on the road and avoid hitting the blue hair Buick. My tires are chirping on the hot blacktop and tar. I think that's when he realizes what he's done. I see his "Oh SH!*" moment unfold thanks to my extra lights... He stops his car in the lane, takes his hands off the wheel and prepares for impact, shielding his face with his hands and arms.

My turn for crappin my drawers (figuratively of course). I've committed myself to go behind him - too late to change course. Hard braking now. Both tires lock up and the handlebar wobbles. I've got time to let off the brake to get the tires turning again, but I’m leaning too far to the right for the lower speed I’m traveling to make it around him. Between the wobble and slow speed, I go down on my right side, rubber side up. I couldn’t have been going more than 10 MPH at this point. I don’t slide far, but now I’m down in the road. My right hand is locked on the throttle and my ride gets a hard rev before my finger gets to the kill switch.

Buick dude starts yelling "Are you all right?" over and over. Quick mental check - Bike is on the saddlebag and crash bar, but no other chrome or paint is on the pavement. (Cuz then I’d be pissed...) I check me - a few stones and spots of dirt on my clothes, but otherwise unharmed. Nerves are on edge, breathing is a little rapid, but I'm ok, and I let him know. I pick up the bike and roll it into the driveway. He backs his car up out of the roadway and stops beside my ride.

Then I pop it on him. After a deep breath, I say...

"Sir my name is Officer so&so with the City of blah-blah Police Department. Are you all injured or harmed?" He apologizes for a good 3 minutes. Non-stop. I can’t get a word in edgewise. "Sir, if you have your driver's license handy could I take a look at it please? Also your insurance card if possible."

I call for a police crew to come out just to make sure the guy has a valid license and isn't an axe murderer or something. (He pulled out from a property in my jurisdiction, but the street belongs to another department...) From what I can tell (and I haven't been to the garage yet today to get a better look at my bike), there isn't any horrid damage to warrant a crash report and citation, but I wanted to at least have a call in case something did get fouled up that I can’t see with the streetlight from above. I call my wife and let her know I'll be late getting home and where I'm at.

It took about half an hour for a crew to arrive. My wife drives from home to double-check my conclusion that the bike and I aren't injured (She's so thoughtful...) Turns out this guy makes a living delivering medications around the clock from 24 hour pharmacies to shut-ins and nursing homes. He admits he just didn't see me there.

I'm thinking my next mod will be white strobes on my crash bars, since the headlight, highway bars and running lights apparently aren't enough...

Skids on the pavement - no problem
Skids in the undies - embarrassing
Walking away from both - priceless.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow, glad you weren't hurt. In the big picture, that's what matters.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Hey neighbor glad to hear you are ok.. Piant and chrome can be replaced. When injuries occour is where the real pain start's. Hope when you get that mod done you will post a picture to let us all know how it works.. Take care, Hope to see you on the road. On your VTX that is, not the one with the blue bubble gum lights on it..:patriot:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Funny, but I just posted after a similar incident. Honestly, I think if you put enough lights on your bike to make it loolk like a Peterbilt, it still wouldn't make a difference. Glad you were able to do as much as you did... now take deep breaths, and go to your happy place. :icon_eek:

·
Certifiable Member
527 Posts
Glad you didnt get hurt..............some people are oblivous to the world around them.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Sometimes things just get FUBAR'ed!

·
X-Bull Rider
1,053 Posts
Makes me want to pull out in front of a cage and say, OH Damn, I didn't see you !!

No, wait that might hurt. :banghead:

Never Mind.........

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Glad you made out as good as you did. It's not always the cagers screw up that gets us hurt, but if or when they catch themselves & panic and freeze, that's the dangerous part, we've already selected an escape route based on their current course of movement, but when they freeze like a deer in headlights, the game changes in a second.

·
Registered
14 Posts
glad you're of ok. must have been a good piece of driving.:choppersm remember, always expect the unexpected:icon_eek:
knothead

·
Registered
475 Posts
Glad to hear you were not hurt, this seems to happen too often to many riders. It's no surprise to me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Great that you're OK.

I swear there is something in the water the last couple days. I've had to avoid two left hooks, a lane changer and someone backing out of a business without looking. Fortunately I was able to anticipate all of them and had time to react - unlike yourself, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Hate to hear about these things, but glad the the rider was telling us about it rather than someone else...

I guess if there is anything humorous we can take from this is sometimes we say "there is never a cop around when you need one"....Well, I guess you didn't have to go very far to find one...:)

I have a good friend that I ride with that also happens to be a LEO for the city...

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Really glad that you're writing this thread for us to read.. could have turned out differently.

Spoiler

:patriot:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Didn't see all those lights? He might be taking some of the medication he was delivering.. LOL... Glad you are ok Blueknight and your bike wasn't damaged..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts