Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 weeks ago I had to have surgery for a perforated small bowel. Thats all good now, just enjoying my vacation from work. I go back on Jan, 10th.
Anyway, right after my surgery, my S-10 pickup crapped out on me. I got tired of throwing money at it and put it up for sale. In the meantime, I found an '89 Toyota pickup for less than $1000 and bought it. It had 240,000 miles on it, but ran great, was a 5 speed (I love manual transmissions), and 4 wheel drive worked.

I had it for 8 days. I found a set of doors to replace the rusted ones for $50.

Yesterday we had ice everywhere. I wouldn't have gone out for anything, but my dad called and needed help getting my sister out of a ditch. She left for work before realizing how bad it was. So, I pick up dad, we get her unstuck and back home, I take dad back home, and head for the house. I'm creeping along in 3rd gear at about 35mph, I round a curve and there sits a tractor trailer in my lane. I ease on the brakes, but they don't work on 1/4 inch of solid ice. I had no problems until this one curve. I slid right into the trailer and totalled my damn truck. It was just an old beater, so I never thought to put collision on it, so I'm truckless, and can't get a dime from my insurance. Oh, according to my wifes uncle, who almost hit the truck too, it had been sitting there for more than 30 minutes. They put out their little warning reflectors AFTER I hit them.

I'm not hurt, but I'm so sore today it aint funny.

I've got a lead on another similar truck, and my dad has a guy interested in my 750 Shadow, so we'll see what happens.

I went to the junkyard today. The owner gave me $350 for the truck, and I get to keep the aluminum wheels. He said I could get whatever parts I wanted later if I did get the other truck I'm going to look at.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Oh man, im sorry for ya. There's no worse feeling than braking when your on sheer ice and knowing that you are gonna slide into a (car, truck, pole, house
At least you werent injured, just banged up some. I hope next year is a much better one for you.
Good luck,
Bry

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I was in 4wd. I'm going to call his insurance company because he didn't have any flares or reflectors out. Won't do any good to call the company, he's the owner / operator. Don't know if I'll get anything out of it, but it's worth a try. He told the trooper he was stuck. He wasn't stuck. When the trooper left, the truck pulled away and went several miles down the road and turned around and came back by.

But maybe my luck is changing. I got 2 bites on my 750 Shadow. One is offering $1000, I was asking $1500, and hoping to get $1000. The other wants to trade for a '90 Toyota 4Runner, 4x4 with 190,000 miles. I'm REAL interested in the 4 Runner. I left the guy a message. The first guy called and is coming by tomorrow to look at the bike. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the 4 Runner though.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck - Glad you are OK.

Hope everything works out with the new deal! :mosh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
But maybe my luck is changing. I got 2 bites on my 750 Shadow. One is offering $1000, I was asking $1500, and hoping to get $1000. The other wants to trade for a '90 Toyota 4Runner, 4x4 with 190,000 miles. I'm REAL interested in the 4 Runner. I left the guy a message. The first guy called and is coming by tomorrow to look at the bike. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the 4 Runner though.
i didn't notice that you mentioned the shadow earlier. what are the details?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Good luck with the new truck or the trade. I too lock in four when ice or snow is on the roads but 4x4 doesn't mean 4 wheel stopping on ice. Two wheels, four wheels, even six or eight all slide on the ice regardless how many are pushing or pulling. Glad to hear you came out ok.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Sorry for your troubles brother! Hoping that all works out well for you in the near future.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been thinking, and maybe my luck isn't really as bad as I thought. I've totalled 2 trucks on ice, wrecked a brand new one when a guy pulled out in front of me, and killed a deer with a motorcycle without laying it down. 4 wrecks with no injuries, and in the first wreck I rolled the truck.
Not to mention I've hit, or been hit by, several deer with minor damage that I didn't even bother fixing on one of my trucks. Anyway, I test drove the 4 Runner today and it's in pretty good shape for a 1990 model. The owner is coming over Monday to check out my Shadow and decide if he wants to trade. Another guy came by today to look at it, but I couldn't get it to crank while he was here. It hasn't been started since I bought my VTX in 2007. I got it jump started right after he left! I've got to get a battery for it tomorrow.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Yep, I was in 4wd. I'm going to call his insurance company because he didn't have any flares or reflectors out. Won't do any good to call the company, he's the owner / operator. Don't know if I'll get anything out of it, but it's worth a try. He told the trooper he was stuck. He wasn't stuck. When the trooper left, the truck pulled away and went several miles down the road and turned around and came back by.

That is actually low miles for a 4Runner. I have a 1999 with 210,000 on it, and it is running great. Never a problem, and it is very comfortable. Not sure about the 1990....but 1999 is an awesome year.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Matt, I'd say with 4 collisions, 2 with deer and one on a motorcycle and you come out unscathed...I think you might have a horshoe up your arse! It's all in how you look at it. Good luck with the four runner.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 4 Runner owner came to look at my 750 today and fell in love with it. We're trading rides tomorrow! The 4 Runner is decent enough, but not too nice to take off-road. I think I'm gonna like it.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Congrats! Glad it worked out for you. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts